Florian, you are turning what I wanted to say upside down. I was explicitly targeting the participation of the "big players". on Mon, 26 Sep 2022 12:49:26 +0200 you (Florian Weimer ) wrote: > Joining a “National Body” requires a non-nominal yearly fee, depending > on where you live, and even then the relevant committee or group there > needs to appoint you to WG14 (which may require participation in > additonal, regular meetings). I'm sure there are ways around that if > you know the right people, but I expect the issues around > representation you observe are directly related to these admission > policies. The big players generally already participate in national bodies and by that have no difficulty at all to send personal and real work force into whatever ISO committee they like. Not to participate in WG14 is an informed choice by most of them. We had some participation by some of them in the past. These people quickly disappeared when it was clear that this was not just lobbying and name dropping, but that in the contrary competence, persistence, real engagement and substantial work is required to have an influence. You are right though, that for small enterprises participation might be difficult. All the more it is interesting to note that a large fraction of WG14 comes exactly from such contexts. So yes, the ISO system is less than ideal, and I have not much of an answer on how to improve that situation. What I tried to emphasize upon is that we would be in a better shape if important parts of the industry would take up their responsibility. There are multiple ways to do so, be it by sending in their own people, subsidizing those that are already there, providing grants, whatever. Thanks Jₑₙₛ -- :: INRIA Nancy Grand Est ::: Camus ::::::: ICube/ICPS ::: :: :::::::::::::::::::::: gsm France : +33 651400183 :: :: ::::::::::::::: gsm international : +49 15737185122 :: :: http://icube-icps.unistra.fr/index.php/Jens_Gustedt ::