mailing list of musl libc
* Time for an issue tracker?
@ 2012-09-07  6:35 philomath
From: philomath @ 2012-09-07  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hi,

I guess there are many users like me, who would like to help out, but don't
have much free time on their hands.  It would be nice to quickly find something
smallish to do. digging through mailing-list threads is too expensive when
all you have is three minutes.

Of course, issue tracking has many more benefits.  actually, I was about to
work on adding restrict everywhere it belongs, which Rich just committed...

WDYT?

Thanks.

* Re: Time for an issue tracker?
@ 2012-09-07  6:41 ` Igmar Palsenberg
From: Igmar Palsenberg @ 2012-09-07  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

> I guess there are many users like me, who would like to help out, but don't
> have much free time on their hands.  It would be nice to quickly find something
> smallish to do. digging through mailing-list threads is too expensive when
> all you have is three minutes.
>
> Of course, issue tracking has many more benefits.  actually, I was about to
> work on adding restrict everywhere it belongs, which Rich just committed...
>
> WDYT?
A lot of options :

- Bugzilla
- Trac
- JIRA

I'm a fan of Atlassian tools, they give away licenses for Open Source
tools. I'd be more then happy to assist / provide
infrastructure.

Regards,

    Igmar

* Re: Time for an issue tracker?
@ 2012-09-07  8:22   ` Luca Barbato
From: Luca Barbato @ 2012-09-07  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 9/7/12 8:41 AM, Igmar Palsenberg wrote:

>> I guess there are many users like me, who would like to help out, but don't
>> have much free time on their hands.  It would be nice to quickly find something
>> smallish to do. digging through mailing-list threads is too expensive when
>> all you have is three minutes.
>>
>> Of course, issue tracking has many more benefits.  actually, I was about to
>> work on adding restrict everywhere it belongs, which Rich just committed...
>>
>> WDYT?
> A lot of options :
>
> - Bugzilla

Works, no matter what. The latest versions aren't ugly.

> - Trac

Less useful than Bugzilla in some ways yet usable.

> - JIRA

It has some annoying limitations I'd stay clear of something w/out a CC
list...

lu

* Re: Time for an issue tracker?
@ 2012-09-07  9:10     ` Igmar Palsenberg
From: Igmar Palsenberg @ 2012-09-07  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

> Works, no matter what. The latest versions aren't ugly.
It does.

>> - Trac
>
> Less useful than Bugzilla in some ways yet usable.
I never really used it myself.

>> - JIRA
>
> It has some annoying limitations I'd stay clear of something w/out a
> CC list...
Such as ?

    Igmar

* Re: Time for an issue tracker?
@ 2012-09-07 13:47 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-09-07 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 08:35:32AM +0200, philomath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess there are many users like me, who would like to help out, but don't
> have much free time on their hands.  It would be nice to quickly find something
> smallish to do. digging through mailing-list threads is too expensive when
> all you have is three minutes.
>
> Of course, issue tracking has many more benefits.  actually, I was about to
> work on adding restrict everywhere it belongs, which Rich just committed...

It would help if sh4rm4 would use the list... :) This patch has been
in the works and under discussion for about a week on IRC, but got
little/no attention on the mailing list.

> WDYT?

I'd like to have an issue tracker too. My preference is always one
where you can do most of the work by email if you prefer, but nowadays
I don't mind using the web interface either. I'm not sure how other
contributors feel about this, but I suspect we have some who won't
bother with the issue tracker unless they can use it comfortably via
email and/or a text-based web browser... :-)

Rich

* Re: Time for an issue tracker?
@ 2012-09-07 14:30   ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2012-09-07 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Igmar Palsenberg <musl@palsenberg.com> writes:

>> I guess there are many users like me, who would like to help out, but don't
>> have much free time on their hands.  It would be nice to quickly find something
>> smallish to do. digging through mailing-list threads is too expensive when
>> all you have is three minutes.
>>
>> Of course, issue tracking has many more benefits.  actually, I was about to
>> work on adding restrict everywhere it belongs, which Rich just committed...
>>
>> WDYT?
> A lot of options :
>
> - Bugzilla
> - Trac
> - JIRA
>
> I'm a fan of Atlassian tools, they give away licenses for Open Source
> tools. I'd be more then happy to assist / provide
> infrastructure.

I'd like to propose the github bug tracker (even if the project is not
hosted by github right now) mainly because it is rather simple, can be
controlled by mail, and almost everyone has a github account already.
Please do not force users to make accounts to report bugs.

cu,
--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

* Re: Time for an issue tracker?
@ 2012-09-07 14:44     ` Igmar Palsenberg
From: Igmar Palsenberg @ 2012-09-07 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 9/7/12 4:30 PM, Christian Neukirchen wrote:

> I'd like to propose the github bug tracker (even if the project is not
> hosted by github right now) mainly because it is rather simple, can be
> controlled by mail, and almost everyone has a github account already.
> Please do not force users to make accounts to report bugs.
Agree. Rich might consider putting the sources in github, since that
will also give him pull request etc.

    Igmar

* Re: Time for an issue tracker?
@ 2012-09-07 14:50       ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2012-09-07 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Igmar Palsenberg <musl@palsenberg.com> writes:

> On 9/7/12 4:30 PM, Christian Neukirchen wrote:
>
>> I'd like to propose the github bug tracker (even if the project is not
>> hosted by github right now) mainly because it is rather simple, can be
>> controlled by mail, and almost everyone has a github account already.
>> Please do not force users to make accounts to report bugs.
> Agree. Rich might consider putting the sources in github, since that
> will also give him pull request etc.

Actually I think pull requests suck, since third-party contributions IMO
often need cleanup, so you have to deal with rebasing branches of some
kind anyway.

For actual patch discussion, I prefer mailing lists.  YMMV.

--

@ 2012-09-07 16:34     ` Szabolcs Nagy
From: Szabolcs Nagy @ 2012-09-07 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

* Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> [2012-09-07 16:30:09 +0200]:
> I'd like to propose the github bug tracker (even if the project is not
> hosted by github right now) mainly because it is rather simple, can be
> controlled by mail, and almost everyone has a github account already.
> Please do not force users to make accounts to report bugs.

forcing registration for bug reporting is bad
but that rules out github (and i think all other
options mentioned so far)

i don't see an easy solution

the minimum requirements are:
	- search/browse the bug database (through web)
	- query a bug by unique id (through permanent url)
	- open a bug (by mail)
	- comment on a bug (by mail)
	- get notifications about a bug (by mail)
	- simple administration (change status, mark duplicates)

i think server side email applications are hard to do
because of mime parsing and other smtp difficulties
and they can have huge latency

* Re: Time for an issue tracker?
@ 2012-09-07 16:41       ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-09-07 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 06:34:50PM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> * Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> [2012-09-07 16:30:09 +0200]:
> > I'd like to propose the github bug tracker (even if the project is not
> > hosted by github right now) mainly because it is rather simple, can be
> > controlled by mail, and almost everyone has a github account already.
> > Please do not force users to make accounts to report bugs.
>
> forcing registration for bug reporting is bad

Do any of the proposed solutions support openid?

Rich

* Re: Time for an issue tracker?
@ 2012-09-07 16:54   ` Isaac Dunham
From: Isaac Dunham @ 2012-09-07 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 09:47:13 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias@aerifal.cx> wrote:

> It would help if sh4rm4 would use the list... :) This patch has been
> in the works and under discussion for about a week on IRC, but got
> little/no attention on the mailing list.

Patches on IRC rather suck for discussion:
-no permanent record of suggestions
(you have to be there/have a bot logging the channel...which is not
possible with an ephemeral connection like I have.)
-no public record
-render inline comments impractical

That said, IRC is great when you're asking about _revising_ a patch.

> I'd like to have an issue tracker too. My preference is always one
> where you can do most of the work by email if you prefer, but nowadays
> I don't mind using the web interface either. I'm not sure how other
> contributors feel about this, but I suspect we have some who won't
> bother with the issue tracker unless they can use it comfortably via
> email and/or a text-based web browser... :-)

The way Debian's bug tracker works? or different?
And yes, you're right on the last count.  The most feature-rich browser
I've gotten working on musl is dillo, but I prefer to just start
links.  I'm a lot more likely to report issues while I'm running muslin
than under Ubuntu. ;)

Isaac Dunham

* Re: Time for an issue tracker?
@ 2012-09-07 18:18     ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-09-07 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 09:54:32AM -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 09:47:13 -0400
> Rich Felker <dalias@aerifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > It would help if sh4rm4 would use the list... :) This patch has been
> > in the works and under discussion for about a week on IRC, but got
> > little/no attention on the mailing list.
>
> Patches on IRC rather suck for discussion:
> -no permanent record of suggestions
> (you have to be there/have a bot logging the channel...which is not
> possible with an ephemeral connection like I have.)
> -no public record
> -render inline comments impractical

I agree completely, and I've been trying to get others to realize
this. Also, pastebins are harmful for patches, whether they're shared
on IRC or as links in email; they do not provide a reliable permanent
record of the proposed patches and their evolution. All patches should
be submitted to the list.

> That said, IRC is great when you're asking about _revising_ a patch.

Agreed.

> > I'd like to have an issue tracker too. My preference is always one
> > where you can do most of the work by email if you prefer, but nowadays
> > I don't mind using the web interface either. I'm not sure how other
> > contributors feel about this, but I suspect we have some who won't
> > bother with the issue tracker unless they can use it comfortably via
> > email and/or a text-based web browser... :-)
>
> The way Debian's bug tracker works? or different?
> And yes, you're right on the last count.  The most feature-rich browser
> I've gotten working on musl is dillo, but I prefer to just start
> links.  I'm a lot more likely to report issues while I'm running muslin
> than under Ubuntu. ;)

I like Debian's bug tracker a lot because it works well by email and
via the web interface. I also don't mind bugzilla, but it is
frustrating having to make a new account all the time..

Rich

* Re: Time for an issue tracker?
@ 2012-09-07 21:01       ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2012-09-07 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 06:34:50PM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:

> the minimum requirements are:
> 	- search/browse the bug database (through web)
> 	- query a bug by unique id (through permanent url)
> 	- open a bug (by mail)
> 	- comment on a bug (by mail)
> 	- get notifications about a bug (by mail)
> 	- simple administration (change status, mark duplicates)

RT can do all of these either out of the box or with little
configuration.

* Re: Time for an issue tracker?
@ 2012-09-10  8:44       ` Igmar Palsenberg
From: Igmar Palsenberg @ 2012-09-10  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

>>> I'd like to have an issue tracker too. My preference is always one
>>> where you can do most of the work by email if you prefer, but nowadays
>>> I don't mind using the web interface either. I'm not sure how other
>>> contributors feel about this, but I suspect we have some who won't
>>> bother with the issue tracker unless they can use it comfortably via
>>> email and/or a text-based web browser... :-)
>> The way Debian's bug tracker works? or different?
>> And yes, you're right on the last count.  The most feature-rich browser
>> I've gotten working on musl is dillo, but I prefer to just start
>> links.  I'm a lot more likely to report issues while I'm running muslin
>> than under Ubuntu. ;)
> I like Debian's bug tracker a lot because it works well by email and
> via the web interface. I also don't mind bugzilla, but it is
> frustrating having to make a new account all the time..
I'd be more then happy to put up a VPS and install DBT on it.

Regards,

    Igmar