mailing list of musl libc
From: Alexander Stadler <sa.musl@univie.ac.at>
To: musl@lists.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Bug in include/netinet/in.h
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:37:54 +0100	[thread overview]

Am 24.01.2013 21:46, schrieb John Spencer:
> On 01/24/2013 08:22 PM, Alexander Stadler wrote:
>>
>> I removed -Werror from CMakeLists.txt of netifd, after that it compiled (with warnings ;-) ).
>> Thank you!
>>
>> (only size shocked me - 450KB (one day before with uClibc 50KB :-/ ))
>>
> probably something went wrong here, usually musl-linked binaries are a good bit smaller than their uclibc-linked counterparts.
> some guesses:
> - uclibc binary is linked dynamically, but the musl one statically
> - debug mode (-g) was used for the musl binary
> - uclibc binary was stripped (-s) but musl one wasn't
>
> i'd try to use strip tool on both binaries and compare
> additionally comparing the used CFLAGS used by the compiler might give hints (compile both in verbose mode and compare build logs)
> for smallest binary size, usually -flto -fwhole-program -s -Os give the best results with gcc >= 4.5.0 (however lto makes the build notably slower)

Thanks for the answer.
And the optimization parameters, I propably will play with them at some time.

https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/34427
disables sstrip when musl is used,
but does not select strip instead.
Unfortunately I don't know why sstrip got disabled.

But after enabling strip instead the size reaches comparable values (same too a bit larger most of the time).