mailing list of musl libc
* Fwd: OIN Notice - Definition Update [license@openinventionnetwork.com]
       [not found] <1373607079.27613.50@driftwood>
@ 2013-07-12  5:32 ` Rob Landley
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Rob Landley @ 2013-07-12  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Landley; +Cc: musl

If you were looking for a list of packages to test musl against before
1.0, the Open Invention Network seems to have come up with a list of
593 packages they define as "The Linux System".

Might be worth a look, for bragging rights if nothing else. (See
attached.)

Rob

======quoted message from License <license@openinventionnetwork.com>,
subject "OIN Notice - Definition Update"======

* Re: Fwd: OIN Notice - Definition Update [license@openinventionnetwork.com]
@ 2013-07-12  5:59   ` John Spencer
From: John Spencer @ 2013-07-12  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl; +Cc: Rob Landley

On 07/12/2013 07:32 AM, Rob Landley wrote:
> If you were looking for a list of packages to test musl against before
> 1.0, the Open Invention Network seems to have come up with a list of 593
> packages they define as "The Linux System".
>
> Might be worth a look, for bragging rights if nothing else. (See attached.)
>
> Rob

http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/pat_linuxdef_table5.php

i wonder if the package nr. 257, dietlibc, builds against musl...

kidding aside, this list looks like a snapshot of installed packages on
some random opensuse box, including suse's package manager zypper and a
full KDE3 install.

@ 2013-07-12  6:52   ` Isaac
From: Isaac @ 2013-07-12  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 12:32:27AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> If you were looking for a list of packages to test musl against
> before 1.0, the Open Invention Network seems to have come up with a
> list of 593 packages they define as "The Linux System".

Not 593 packages; they _renumbered_ 593 of ~2000, and added another 293.

It includes anaconda, yum, zypper, yast2, and rpm, but not dpkg, alien, or
any of the apt* packages.
It also includes all of Android.
And it's got gnome and kde and gnash.

@ 2013-07-12 14:34   ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2013-07-12 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 12:32:27AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> If you were looking for a list of packages to test musl against before
> 1.0, the Open Invention Network seems to have come up with a list of
> 593 packages they define as "The Linux System".

This list looks like something a crazy person put together.  It's
basically everything available in OpenSUSE plus the android SDK.  There
is garbage in here like mono and mod_ruby.

khm

* Re: Fwd: OIN Notice - Definition Update [license@openinventionnetwork.com]
@ 2013-07-12 15:53     ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2013-07-12 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:34:57AM -0400, Kurt H Maier wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 12:32:27AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> > If you were looking for a list of packages to test musl against before
> > 1.0, the Open Invention Network seems to have come up with a list of
> > 593 packages they define as "The Linux System".
>
> This list looks like something a crazy person put together.  It's
> basically everything available in OpenSUSE plus the android SDK.  There
> is garbage in here like mono and mod_ruby.

Indeed, this sounds like nothing but "Pointy Hair Linux" conformance,
which I think we can do without. Trying to meet these requirements is
akin to ISO C adding Annex K and other junk to make Microsoft happy.
They knew there was no hope of Microsoft actually adopting the C
standard, so why even bother trying to make them happy? Similarly,
"Pointy Hair Linux" is not adopting musl anytime soon, so worrying
about conforming to their silly requirements seems like a waste of
time and energy...

Rich

* Re: Fwd: OIN Notice - Definition Update [license@openinventionnetwork.com]
@ 2013-07-12 16:18       ` Justin Cormack
From: Justin Cormack @ 2013-07-12 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 12 Jul 2013 16:53, "Rich Felker" <dalias@aerifal.cx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:34:57AM -0400, Kurt H Maier wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 12:32:27AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> > > If you were looking for a list of packages to test musl against before
> > > 1.0, the Open Invention Network seems to have come up with a list of
> > > 593 packages they define as "The Linux System".
> >
> > This list looks like something a crazy person put together.  It's
> > basically everything available in OpenSUSE plus the android SDK.  There
> > is garbage in here like mono and mod_ruby.
>
> Indeed, this sounds like nothing but "Pointy Hair Linux" conformance,
> which I think we can do without. Trying to meet these requirements is
> akin to ISO C adding Annex K and other junk to make Microsoft happy.
> They knew there was no hope of Microsoft actually adopting the C
> standard, so why even bother trying to make them happy? Similarly,
> "Pointy Hair Linux" is not adopting musl anytime soon, so worrying
> about conforming to their silly requirements seems like a waste of
> time and energy...
>
> Rich

Its not a standard, its a list of things that are broadly "Linux" in terms
of the point of the group which is an anti patent pool...

Justin

* Re: Fwd: OIN Notice - Definition Update [license@openinventionnetwork.com]
@ 2013-07-12 16:32         ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2013-07-12 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 05:18:46PM +0100, Justin Cormack wrote:
> On 12 Jul 2013 16:53, "Rich Felker" <dalias@aerifal.cx> wrote:

> > > This list looks like something a crazy person put together.  It's
> > > basically everything available in OpenSUSE plus the android SDK.  There
> > > is garbage in here like mono and mod_ruby.
> >
> > Indeed, this sounds like nothing but "Pointy Hair Linux" conformance,
> > which I think we can do without. Trying to meet these requirements is
> > akin to ISO C adding Annex K and other junk to make Microsoft happy.
> > They knew there was no hope of Microsoft actually adopting the C
> > standard, so why even bother trying to make them happy? Similarly,
> > "Pointy Hair Linux" is not adopting musl anytime soon, so worrying
> > about conforming to their silly requirements seems like a waste of
> > time and energy...
> >
> > Rich
>
> Its not a standard, its a list of things that are broadly "Linux" in terms
> of the point of the group which is an anti patent pool...

OK, I think we may have all misunderstood the point of this list.

Rich

* Re: Fwd: OIN Notice - Definition Update [license@openinventionnetwork.com]
@ 2013-07-12 17:00           ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2013-07-12 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 12:32:15PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 05:18:46PM +0100, Justin Cormack wrote:
> >
> > Its not a standard, its a list of things that are broadly "Linux" in terms
> > of the point of the group which is an anti patent pool...
>
> OK, I think we may have all misunderstood the point of this list.

I stand by my claim that a crazy person did this.  Table 5 contains
"Sugar Labs," which isn't even a damn software package, it's a
non-profit that develops the Sugar learning environment.  It's like
claiming freedesktop.org is "linux".  I strongly doubt a human being
actually looked at any part of this before copy-pasting it into their
website.

khm

* Re: Fwd: OIN Notice - Definition Update [license@openinventionnetwork.com]
@ 2013-07-13  5:56             ` Luca Barbato
From: Luca Barbato @ 2013-07-13  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 07/12/2013 07:00 PM, Kurt H Maier wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 12:32:15PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 05:18:46PM +0100, Justin Cormack wrote:
>>>
>>> Its not a standard, its a list of things that are broadly "Linux" in terms
>>> of the point of the group which is an anti patent pool...
>>
>> OK, I think we may have all misunderstood the point of this list.
>
> I stand by my claim that a crazy person did this.  Table 5 contains
> "Sugar Labs," which isn't even a damn software package, it's a
> non-profit that develops the Sugar learning environment.  It's like
> claiming freedesktop.org is "linux".  I strongly doubt a human being
> actually looked at any part of this before copy-pasting it into their
> website.

Why are we looking at this? They OIN would be quite happy to have musl
into the list and hopefully provide patent cover in case somebody claims
some part musl are patented.

lu

* Re: Fwd: OIN Notice - Definition Update [license@openinventionnetwork.com]
@ 2013-07-13 14:34               ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2013-07-13 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 07:56:21AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:

> Why are we looking at this? They OIN would be quite happy to have musl
> into the list and hopefully provide patent cover in case somebody claims
> some part musl are patented.

I'm sure they would.  I'd rather see musl never have anything to do with
any patent-based organization at all, much less take sides with some
ridiculous corporate arms race.  Especially as I can't find any actual
evidence that this company has *done* anything.

I think using pkgsrc is a great option, which Gregor has already been
doing.  It's pretty obvious the OIN list is not vetted or paid attention
to; they just want as many linuxy words as possible so they can make
noises at the watering hole.

khm

* Re: Fwd: OIN Notice - Definition Update [license@openinventionnetwork.com]
@ 2013-07-13 14:57                 ` Luca Barbato
From: Luca Barbato @ 2013-07-13 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 07/13/2013 04:34 PM, Kurt H Maier wrote:
> I think using pkgsrc is a great option, which Gregor has already been
> doing.  It's pretty obvious the OIN list is not vetted or paid attention
> to; they just want as many linuxy words as possible so they can make
> noises at the watering hole.

Remind me to try to make a Gentoo stage3 based on musl later, btw what's
the status of musl-specific patches on gcc upstream?

lu

* Re: Fwd: OIN Notice - Definition Update [license@openinventionnetwork.com]
@ 2013-07-13 21:19                   ` Harald Becker
From: Harald Becker @ 2013-07-13 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: musl, lu_zero

Hi Lu !

13-07-2013 16:57 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org>:

> Remind me to try to make a Gentoo stage3 based on musl later,
> btw what's the status of musl-specific patches on gcc upstream?

1) Let me now when this stage3 is available, I'm very keen to
test it.

2) May be I'm able to help creating this. I never created the
Gentoo stages yet, but I create my own systems based on Gentoo
with many differences, know a bit how to read/hack those ebuilds
and should be able to bootstrap a system from scratch.

Harald

* Re: Fwd: OIN Notice - Definition Update [license@openinventionnetwork.com]
@ 2013-07-16  6:37           ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2013-07-16  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl; +Cc: musl

On 07/12/2013 11:32:15 AM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 05:18:46PM +0100, Justin Cormack wrote:

> against before
> list of

> It's
> SDK.  There
> > >
> > > Indeed, this sounds like nothing but "Pointy Hair Linux"
> conformance,
> > > which I think we can do without. Trying to meet these
> requirements is
> > > akin to ISO C adding Annex K and other junk to make Microsoft
> happy.
> > > They knew there was no hope of Microsoft actually adopting the C
> > > standard, so why even bother trying to make them happy? Similarly,
> > > "Pointy Hair Linux" is not adopting musl anytime soon, so worrying
> > > about conforming to their silly requirements seems like a waste of
> > > time and energy...
> > >
> > > Rich
> >
> > Its not a standard, its a list of things that are broadly "Linux"
> in terms
> > of the point of the group which is an anti patent pool...
>
> OK, I think we may have all misunderstood the point of this list.

It's fairly crazy, and bigger than I realized.

My point was just that saying we support X packages from the Open
Invention Network's "Monster Fun System List" (even saying X% if X is
above 80) is a way to leverage their name in our eventual marketing
push. But if the list is too crazy, obviously it's not worth trying to
cover more than we would anyway.

Rob

* Re: Fwd: OIN Notice - Definition Update [license@openinventionnetwork.com]
@ 2013-07-18  3:38                   ` Anthony G. Basile
From: Anthony G. Basile @ 2013-07-18  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 07/13/2013 10:57 AM, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 07/13/2013 04:34 PM, Kurt H Maier wrote:
>> I think using pkgsrc is a great option, which Gregor has already been
>> doing.  It's pretty obvious the OIN list is not vetted or paid attention
>> to; they just want as many linuxy words as possible so they can make
>> noises at the watering hole.
>
> Remind me to try to make a Gentoo stage3 based on musl later, btw what's
> the status of musl-specific patches on gcc upstream?
>
> lu

Luca, I have that partially done.  Do you want what I have so far?

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
Chair of Information Technology