mailing list of musl libc
* ldconfig? /usr/lib64 LD_LIBRARY_PATH
@ 2015-04-22 18:15 Jean-Marc Pigeon
From: Jean-Marc Pigeon @ 2015-04-22 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hello,

I now have a set of packages (76,... gcc, make, git, etc.)
which are compiled with musl, all the way up to the
linux kernel.
With those packages I have reached my immediate goal of
having a self-sufficient distribution (the generated distribution can
recreate itself, see www.osukiss.org if you want
to know more).

I started from a simple glibc set of packages
and I converted them to musl while trying to have the
"minimal delta", keeping some package (ex: gettext,
ncurses?, ...) will be decided later on.
In the end I want a "clean, lean, strictly within
standards" set of packages, musl being a good example.

For now I have a problem with libraries, and I would
like to have a better understanding about what is suggested
about library PATH.

All packages 'configure' set their library to be in /usr/lib64,
many libraries (acl,...) without RPATH wants/needs them
within /lib. I bypassed the problem by sym-linking
needed libraries between /lib and /usr/lib64.

I rather prefer to have libraries only within /usr/lib64
(or /usr/lib for i686), sure enough I can hardcode
LD_LIBRARY_PATH within profile but I do not like this
solution.

ldconfig seems not available with musl.

Is there a easy/standard way in musl to set
the libraries in designated area?

Thanks for your help.

- --

A bientôt
Jean-Marc Pigeon                        E-Mail: jmp@safe.ca
SAFE Inc.                             Phone: (514) 493-4280
  Clement, 'a kiss solution' to get rid of SPAM (at last)
     Clement' Home base <"http://www.clement.safe.ca">

* Re: ldconfig? /usr/lib64 LD_LIBRARY_PATH
@ 2015-04-22 18:37 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2015-04-22 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 02:15:41PM -0400, Jean-Marc Pigeon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I now have a set of packages (76,... gcc, make, git, etc.)
> which are compiled with musl, all the way up to the
> linux kernel.
> With those packages I have reached my immediate goal of
> having a self-sufficient distribution (the generated distribution can
> recreate itself, see www.osukiss.org if you want
> to know more).
>
> I started from a simple glibc set of packages
> and I converted them to musl while trying to have the
> "minimal delta", keeping some package (ex: gettext,
> ncurses?, ...) will be decided later on.
> In the end I want a "clean, lean, strictly within
> standards" set of packages, musl being a good example.
>
> For now I have a problem with libraries, and I would
> like to have a better understanding about what is suggested
> about library PATH.
>
> All packages 'configure' set their library to be in /usr/lib64,
> many libraries (acl,...) without RPATH wants/needs them
> within /lib. I bypassed the problem by sym-linking
> needed libraries between /lib and /usr/lib64.
>
> I rather prefer to have libraries only within /usr/lib64
> (or /usr/lib for i686), sure enough I can hardcode
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH within profile but I do not like this
> solution.
>
> ldconfig seems not available with musl.
>
> Is there a easy/standard way in musl to set
> the libraries in designated area?

Just place the paths you want searched in a file named
/etc/ld-musl-x86_64.path (or replace x86_64 with your arch, the same
as the name in /lib/ld-musl-*.so.1), separated by newlines or colons.
If this file exists it will replace (not add to) the default search
path, so you need to include all dirs you want searched.

Note that ld-musl-*.so.1 itself needs to be in /lib.

Rich

* Re: ldconfig? /usr/lib64 LD_LIBRARY_PATH
@ 2015-04-22 19:08   ` Jean-Marc Pigeon
From: Jean-Marc Pigeon @ 2015-04-22 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 04/22/2015 02:37 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 02:15:41PM -0400, Jean-Marc Pigeon wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I now have a set of packages (76,... gcc, make, git, etc.) which
>> are compiled with musl, all the way up to the linux kernel. With
>> those packages I have reached my immediate goal of having a
>> self-sufficient distribution (the generated distribution can
>> recreate itself, see www.osukiss.org if you want to know more).
>>
>> I started from a simple glibc set of packages and I converted
>> them to musl while trying to have the "minimal delta", keeping
>> some package (ex: gettext, ncurses?, ...) will be decided later
>> on. In the end I want a "clean, lean, strictly within standards"
>> set of packages, musl being a good example.
>>
>> For now I have a problem with libraries, and I would like to have
>> a better understanding about what is suggested about library
>> PATH.
>>
>> All packages 'configure' set their library to be in /usr/lib64,
>> many libraries (acl,...) without RPATH wants/needs them within
>> /lib. I bypassed the problem by sym-linking needed libraries
>> between /lib and /usr/lib64.
>>
>> I rather prefer to have libraries only within /usr/lib64 (or
>> /usr/lib for i686), sure enough I can hardcode LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>> within profile but I do not like this solution.
>>
>> ldconfig seems not available with musl.
>>
>> Is there a easy/standard way in musl to set the libraries in
>> designated area?
>
> Just place the paths you want searched in a file named
> /etc/ld-musl-x86_64.path (or replace x86_64 with your arch, the
> same as the name in /lib/ld-musl-*.so.1), separated by newlines or
> colons. If this file exists it will replace (not add to) the
> default search path, so you need to include all dirs you want
> searched.
>
> Note that ld-musl-*.so.1 itself needs to be in /lib.
>
> Rich

Many many Thanks Rich...

Question: where is doc about this? (I should had find it myself).

- --

@ 2015-04-22 19:11     ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2015-04-22 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 03:08:01PM -0400, Jean-Marc Pigeon wrote:
> >> Is there a easy/standard way in musl to set the libraries in
> >> designated area?
> >
> > Just place the paths you want searched in a file named
> > /etc/ld-musl-x86_64.path (or replace x86_64 with your arch, the
> > same as the name in /lib/ld-musl-*.so.1), separated by newlines or
> > colons. If this file exists it will replace (not add to) the
> > default search path, so you need to include all dirs you want
> > searched.
> >
> > Note that ld-musl-*.so.1 itself needs to be in /lib.
> >
> Many many Thanks Rich...
>
> Question: where is doc about this? (I should had find it myself).

It's in the documentation on the website at:

http://www.musl-libc.org/manual.html

Note that it's not up-to-date with current musl and not complete, but
it covers most of the important things to know from a non-developer
(i.e. just end user or deployment/integration) standpoint.

Rich