mailing list of musl libc
* Error relocating libc.so: (...): symbol not found
@ 2015-07-02 16:16 Laurent Bercot
From: Laurent Bercot @ 2015-07-02 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

  Hi,
  I just pulled the latest musl git head and compiled it.
Previously I was using a git version from right before 1.1.9
or something. (Sorry, I didn't take notes, I can't tell you
exactly what it was.)

  Now, when I run ldd on a static binary (compiled with either
that new musl or a previous version), I get the following
messages:

Error relocating libc.so: __muldc3: symbol not found
Error relocating libc.so: __mulsc3: symbol not found
Error relocating libc.so: __mulxc3: symbol not found

before the expected
ldd: (binary): Not a valid dynamic program

  This is on x86_84 with gcc-4.2.1.

  Is anything wrong with my binaries or new musl installation,
or are those spurious messages?

  Thanks,

--
  Laurent

* Re: Error relocating libc.so: (...): symbol not found
@ 2015-07-02 16:45 ` Szabolcs Nagy
From: Szabolcs Nagy @ 2015-07-02 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

* Laurent Bercot <ska-dietlibc@skarnet.org> [2015-07-02 18:16:39 +0200]:
>  I just pulled the latest musl git head and compiled it.
> Previously I was using a git version from right before 1.1.9
> or something. (Sorry, I didn't take notes, I can't tell you
> exactly what it was.)
>
>  Now, when I run ldd on a static binary (compiled with either
> that new musl or a previous version), I get the following
> messages:
>
> Error relocating libc.so: __muldc3: symbol not found
> Error relocating libc.so: __mulsc3: symbol not found
> Error relocating libc.so: __mulxc3: symbol not found
>
> before the expected
> ldd: (binary): Not a valid dynamic program
>
>  This is on x86_84 with gcc-4.2.1.
>
>  Is anything wrong with my binaries or new musl installation,
> or are those spurious messages?

give us a bit more hints..
(i cant reproduce the issue)

put the libc.so + binary somewhere
(eg email to me)

* Re: Error relocating libc.so: (...): symbol not found
@ 2015-07-02 16:54 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2015-07-02 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 06:16:39PM +0200, Laurent Bercot wrote:

>  Hi,
>  I just pulled the latest musl git head and compiled it.
> Previously I was using a git version from right before 1.1.9
> or something. (Sorry, I didn't take notes, I can't tell you
> exactly what it was.)
>
>  Now, when I run ldd on a static binary (compiled with either
> that new musl or a previous version), I get the following
> messages:
>
> Error relocating libc.so: __muldc3: symbol not found
> Error relocating libc.so: __mulsc3: symbol not found
> Error relocating libc.so: __mulxc3: symbol not found
>
> before the expected
> ldd: (binary): Not a valid dynamic program
>
>  This is on x86_84 with gcc-4.2.1.
>
>  Is anything wrong with my binaries or new musl installation,
> or are those spurious messages?

It sounds like a broken libc.so. There should not be dynamic symbol
references or definitions for libgcc symbols in libc.so. Is it
possible that your toolchain is doing something wacky that links
shared libgcc even when we try to do static libgcc?

Rich

* Re: Error relocating libc.so: (...): symbol not found
@ 2015-07-02 17:49   ` Laurent Bercot
From: Laurent Bercot @ 2015-07-02 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 02/07/2015 18:54, Rich Felker wrote:
> It sounds like a broken libc.so. There should not be dynamic symbol
> references or definitions for libgcc symbols in libc.so. Is it
> possible that your toolchain is doing something wacky that links
> shared libgcc even when we try to do static libgcc?

  It's very likely, since I'm manually tinkering with musl-gcc.specs
to make it work with the Aboriginal Linux toolchain (which normally
uses a gcc wrapper to enforce the use of uClibc). I didn't think
about it because my setup works flawlessly for application
compilation.

  I suspect my defeat-the-wrappers shenanigans do not play nicely
with compiling musl itself. I'll investigate in that direction.

  Thanks,

--

@ 2015-07-02 18:47     ` Laurent Bercot
From: Laurent Bercot @ 2015-07-02 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 02/07/2015 19:49, Laurent Bercot wrote:
>   I suspect my defeat-the-wrappers shenanigans do not play nicely
> with compiling musl itself.

  Indeed, for some reason, the -lgcc -lgcc_eh test in configure was
failing, so those flags were not added when building libc.so.
Using a vanilla (or Rob-spiked vanilla) compiler to build musl
works fine.

  Thanks for the hint!

--
  Laurent