mailing list of musl libc
* /dev/log: datagram, stream, both?
@ 2015-08-10 21:04 Laurent Bercot
From: Laurent Bercot @ 2015-08-10 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

  Hello,
  I just noticed that musl's syslog() uses a datagram socket.
  This will only work if the syslogd implementation has opened
/dev/log as a datagram socket too.

  Last time I checked, which was a certain number of years ago,
/dev/log was a SOCK_STREAM. And it was great, because it allowed
me to very easily whip up a superserver-based implementation of
syslogd in a few lines of code. I tested it, it worked, with all
the syslog() implementations I could find.

  But now, it appears to have changed, and my elegant approach
isn't working anymore. Gah!
  A Web search is pretty confusing: nobody seems to agree, there
doesn't seem to be an authority on this. So I'm asking here: is
/dev/log supposed to be a SOCK_DGRAM now? Is there a normative
body somewhere? anything else than "rsyslogd decides and libcs
have to adapt"? What are the reasons to use SOCK_DGRAM over
SOCK_STREAM?

  If anyone needed another reason not to use syslog: underspecified
protocol with a client in the libc but an external server. Wheee!

--
  Laurent