mailing list of musl libc
* Cross-compiling Musl with Clang's integrated assembler
@ 2015-08-24  6:24 Matthew Fernandez
From: Matthew Fernandez @ 2015-08-24  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hi all,

I'm trying to build Musl for an ARM target on an x86_64 host using Clang. It seems some of the Musl
assembly uses the LDR pseudo instruction that the Clang integrated assembler doesn't understand:

     $ clang -target arm-none-eabi -integrated-as -c crt/arm/crt1.s
     '+soft-float-abi' is not a recognized feature for this target (ignoring feature)
      crt/arm/crt1.s:10:9: error: unexpected token in operand
             ldr a4,=_fini

Is this configuration supported? Perhaps Musl is never intended to be built by Clang's assembler.

Thanks,
Matt

clang version: 3.4-1ubuntu3

________________________________

* Re: Cross-compiling Musl with Clang's integrated assembler
@ 2015-08-24  6:26 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2015-08-24  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

> On Aug 23, 2015, at 11:24 PM, Matthew Fernandez <matthew.fernandez@nicta.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build Musl for an ARM target on an x86_64 host using Clang. It seems some of the Musl
> assembly uses the LDR pseudo instruction that the Clang integrated assembler doesn't understand:
>
>    $ clang -target arm-none-eabi -integrated-as -c crt/arm/crt1.s
>    '+soft-float-abi' is not a recognized feature for this target (ignoring feature)
>     crt/arm/crt1.s:10:9: error: unexpected token in operand
>            ldr a4,=_fini
>
> Is this configuration supported? Perhaps Musl is never intended to be built by Clang's assembler.

may be it has issues, I usually use -no-intergrated-as as of now.

> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> clang version: 3.4-1ubuntu3
>
> ________________________________
>
> The information in this e-mail may be confidential and subject to legal professional privilege and/or copyright. National ICT Australia Limited accepts no liability for any damage caused by this email or its attachments.

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: Cross-compiling Musl with Clang's integrated assembler
@ 2015-08-24  9:15 ` Joakim Sindholt
From: Joakim Sindholt @ 2015-08-24  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Mon, 2015-08-24 at 16:24 +1000, Matthew Fernandez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build Musl for an ARM target on an x86_64 host using Clang. It seems some of the Musl
> assembly uses the LDR pseudo instruction that the Clang integrated assembler doesn't understand:
>
>      $ clang -target arm-none-eabi -integrated-as -c crt/arm/crt1.s
>      '+soft-float-abi' is not a recognized feature for this target (ignoring feature)
>       crt/arm/crt1.s:10:9: error: unexpected token in operand
>              ldr a4,=_fini
>
> Is this configuration supported? Perhaps Musl is never intended to be built by Clang's assembler.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> clang version: 3.4-1ubuntu3

You probably want to upgrade to at least 3.5. If memory serves, ARM
support was very much incomplete until then. I have no trouble building
musl with clang -integrated-as (3.6) currently, so long as it's not the
armhf arch target which uses some pre-UAL assembly.
I'm not sure if your target triple has anything to do with it, but I'm
currently using armv7a-none-eabi.

-- Joakim

* Re: Cross-compiling Musl with Clang's integrated assembler
@ 2015-08-25  0:05   ` Matthew Fernandez
From: Matthew Fernandez @ 2015-08-25  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 24/08/15 19:15, Joakim Sindholt wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-08-24 at 16:24 +1000, Matthew Fernandez wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to build Musl for an ARM target on an x86_64 host using Clang. It seems some of the Musl
>> assembly uses the LDR pseudo instruction that the Clang integrated assembler doesn't understand:
>>
>>       $ clang -target arm-none-eabi -integrated-as -c crt/arm/crt1.s
>>       '+soft-float-abi' is not a recognized feature for this target (ignoring feature)
>>        crt/arm/crt1.s:10:9: error: unexpected token in operand
>>               ldr a4,=_fini
>>
>> Is this configuration supported? Perhaps Musl is never intended to be built by Clang's assembler.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matt
>>
>> clang version: 3.4-1ubuntu3
>
> You probably want to upgrade to at least 3.5. If memory serves, ARM
> support was very much incomplete until then. I have no trouble building
> musl with clang -integrated-as (3.6) currently, so long as it's not the
> armhf arch target which uses some pre-UAL assembly.
> I'm not sure if your target triple has anything to do with it, but I'm
> currently using armv7a-none-eabi.
>
> -- Joakim

Yes, looks like you're right. With 3.6.0 (r218935) this works fine. Sorry for the noise and thanks
for the quick answer!