mailing list of musl libc
* [musl] How to deliver a portable shared object using musl
@ 2022-01-18  9:58 Thejakiran katikala
From: Thejakiran katikala @ 2022-01-18  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl; +Cc: ashish, manav

Hi Team,

I know that using musl-libc I can deliver a portable executable.
Extending this concept, I am trying to deliver a portable shared object
across various linux distros and architectures. I essentially want to
reduce the number of combinations I currently have to deal with, e.g.:

Mylib.so linked against glibC across ARM and x86 architectures

Mylib.so linked against musl-libc across ARM and x86 architectures

Mylib.so linked against uClibC across ARM and x86 architectures

To reduce the number of deliverables, I wanted to squash musl-libC into
Mylib.so and suppress all the conflicting symbols with glibc/uClibC,
etc..

So conceptually MyLib.so carries a copy of musl-libC such that I don't
have any external dependencies on the system where a 3rd party developer
could write his application on top of my library.

For e.g. he could create an executable by compiling and linking on
Ubuntu x64_64: main.c + MyLib.so.x86_64 + glibC.so.x86_64

Is the above possible? Can MyLib.so.x86_64 with musl-libc squashed into
it with all symbols suppressed to avoid linker conflicts, work in a
program that also links to glibC? Can musl-libc co-exist with glibC OR
would there be some run-time conflicts around threads/malloc, etc.?

Is there anyway to achieve the above? Appreciate your insights.

Note: i would like to be Cc'd to receive back your replies

Thanks,

-Theja