Hi Jeffrey, On 11/23/22 15:55, Jeffrey Walton wrote: > On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 9:29 AM Alejandro Colomar > wrote: >> ... >>>> In any case I also find it useful to have this kind of portability >>>> information when deciding what to use in code. >> >> And I must admit it's also useful to me (this all started because Andrew and I >> had to use memmem(3) at a project where macOS compatibility is relevant --not >> critical, but relevant--). > > If you are a die-hard free software person using GNU gear, then Gnulib > provides memmem. There's no need to worry about availability or > portability courtesy of Gnulib. See > https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/memmem.html . Thanks! However, for this project I was talking about, it's not an option; such a dependency would not be accepted. BTW, personally, I always found very confusing the usage of Gnulib compared to normal packaged libraries. Maybe it's just me; don't know. It also forces you to use GNU autotools, which I don't like at all. I prefer the approach of libbsd, which just provides a couple of pc(5) files to allow using as a library or as an overlay over the system libc, and after that you're fine with whatever build system you prefer. I know it has some issues, such as , which may be the reason Gnulib works that way, I don't know. Guillem, do you think that issue with libbsd and can be fixed? Or is it an inherent issue of the way the overlay works? Maybe it would be interesting to fix it, as a proof of concept that something like Gnulib could be implemented in that way. Cheers, Alex --