mailing list of musl libc
* [musl] on aarch64, dns A/AAAA queries has high probability of having same dns transaction ID, causing 5s delay
@ 2021-01-05 13:44 王志强
From: 王志强 @ 2021-01-05 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hi guys,
    I am having lots of dns 5s delay on a arm/aarch64 platform, after tcpdump capturing dns packages, I found that the delay always happened when A/AAAA queries  happened to have same dns transaction id.

network/res_mkquery.c
    /* Make a reasonably unpredictable id */
    clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME, &ts);
    id = ts.tv_nsec + ts.tv_nsec/65536UL & 0xffff;
    q[0] = id/256;
    q[1] = id;

time/clock_gettime.c
    r = __syscall(SYS_clock_gettime, clk, ts);
    if (r == -ENOSYS) {
        if (clk == CLOCK_REALTIME) {
            __syscall(SYS_gettimeofday, ts, 0);
            ts->tv_nsec = (int)ts->tv_nsec * 1000;
            return 0;
        }
        r = -EINVAL;
    }
    return __syscall_ret(r);

On aarch64, gettimeofday yields current time with low accuracy, the smallest unit is 1e-6, (I think)
Could we add some trick to make sure that the parallel A/AAAA queries got different  id?

Thanks
David

* [musl] Re:[musl] on aarch64, dns A/AAAA queries has high probability of having same dns transaction ID, causing 5s delay
@ 2021-01-07  1:38 ` 王志强
From: 王志强 @ 2021-01-07  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl