On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Strake wrote: > On 15/07/2013, Rob Landley wrote: > > - creating a development environment (building binutils, gcc, > > make...) > > - requirements for self-hosting > > - requirements for natively building Linux From Scratch > > - cross vs native compiling > > - bootstrapping to native compiling under emulation. > > This. For me, at least, this is often the greatest hindrance. > > That makes two of us. There are many tools for making cross compiler (aboriginal, crosstools-ng, buildroot, etc) but I haven't found one that guides how to move to native compiling (=create the native compilers) once one has the cross-compilers and bootable rootfs (I know, aboriginal *does* create native compilers so I should read Rob's scripts for that ...). That being said, the other topics are pretty relevant too. Also, anyone thinks that CLFS is good start for this? One thing that I notice about (C)LFS is that the steps are there but the rationale and explanation isn't; so it encourages people to follow a recipe without knowing *why* things have to be done in a certain way (to be fair, the main LFS (not its CLFS variants) does have some kind of explanation but it could be improved). cheers!