I am the developer Isaac was talking about. On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Rich Felker wrote: > > Are you sure it really _needs_ them? They seem to be mostly > optimizations to avoid walking uninteresing parts of the tree, and it > should be possible to achieve the same behavior (aside from time > wasted walking uninteresting stuff) with minor changes to the callback > function... > > You are right that they are optimisations; that would be my guess too. The utilities need to scan through all directories and files on multiple filesystems - the more layer added to aufs, the worse it would be. Thus it needs any optimisation it can get. I'm not the author of aufs-utils so I can't be so sure. Right now I managed to get it compiled with uclibc so at least the size problem is resolved in the interim, but I prefer to use musl if possible. cheers! James