thank you both for your help. It appears i had a combination of issues yet again that i had to work through (incompatible math lib versions? and bad binutils builds?) but now I think i have a successful cross toolchain. currently it appears to be linked to the local libs libm.so.6 and libc.so.6 dynamically even though i specified static and used the musl-gcc wrapper but it did successfully build for the target i686-linux-musl Ironically somehow looking into setting up the /etc/ld-musl-$ARCH.path file led me to notice the issue with the math libs. sleep deprivation however prevents me from remembering that weird thought pattern :-p thanks again! On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Samuel Holland wrote: > On October 10, 2014 4:01:10 PM CDT, stephen Turner < > stephen.n.turner@gmail.com> wrote: > >As previously mentioned I wiped and installed a clean debian. I did a > >absolute minimum default install no desktop etc compiled the latest > >stable > >musl, m4, gmp, mpfr, mpc, and downloaded gcc 4.7.3 with > >gregorr/musl-cross > >patch to match. > > I'm assuming you're using musl-gcc to compile m4, gmp, mpfr, mpc, > binutils(!), and gcc. > > >Its having a problem finding/using libmpc.so.3 but the paths appear to > >point to the directory which it is located. to be sure i even specified > >using the --with-mpc flag. > > You're almost there! All you have to do is tell musl where to find shared > libraries. From the documentation: > > ../etc/ld-musl-$(ARCH).path, taken relative to the location of the > "program interpreter" specified in the program's headers - if present, this > will be processed as a text file containing the shared library search path, > with components delimited by newlines or colons. If absent, a default path > of"/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib" will be used. Not used by static-linked > programs. > > You need make that file and put /root/cross/i686-linux-musl/lib in there. > You compiled gcc fine, but the new gcc's backend isn't running because it > can't find the shared libraries you compiled earlier because they aren't in > a standard path. > > -- > Regards, > Samuel Holland >