On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 9:27 PM, Rich Felker wrote: > On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 09:23:59PM +0200, Alex wrote: > > On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 9:14 PM, Rich Felker wrote: > > > > > On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 12:21:05PM +0200, Alex wrote: > > > > This has been an interesting exercise so far. Is there any other arch > > > which > > > > you think it would be worthwhile to develop a CFI generation script > for? > > > It > > > > should be something which has enough users to avoid problems with > bitrot. > > > > > > CFI is probably a lot less interesting on archs where you have a > > > plenty registers not to need to manipulate stack frames in asm > > > functions, since in that case the debugger mostly works fine without > > > CFI. I don't know right off which of the other archs have significant > > > amounts of asm that adjusts the stack pointer, but you could go > > > through and check them. Having ABI info for them all would be helpful; > > > I'm pasting my draft ABI reference (which might have errors) below. > > > > Fair enough. If it's not likely to help anyone, I'll leave the CFI > > generation here. > > > > Another idea: are you interested in an implementation of POSIX AIO which > > uses the native AIO syscalls? Bad idea? > > Those syscalls have nothing at all to do with POSIX AIO. They're > completely different. :( The interface presented by the raw syscalls is not the POSIX AIO interface, but I haven't seen any reason yet why io_setup, io_submit, io_getevents, etc. couldn't be used to implement the POSIX AIO interface. Is there such a reason? The payoff would be that you wouldn't have to spawn a thread for each AIO operation. Instead, you could potentially spawn just one extra thread, which would run in a loop, calling io_getevents() and doing some recordkeeping each time an AIO operation completed. AD