On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM, orc wrote: > I also noticed alternative libs thread and corresponding wiki page. > Does someone know lightweight iconv replacement as a temporary measure > (other than libiconv for example)? > Thought I had the Apache Portable Runtime project listed on the alternatives page. Will update that. APR has a version of iconv. BSD systems have their own implementations of iconv. Haven't found a standalone version. There may be some code in obase (listed on wiki). There's mention of a BSD licensed libiconv ( https://wiki.freebsd.org/G%C3%A1borSoC2009 ) as part of Citrus (which was also supposed to have a gettext alternative). The web page on Citrus is at http://citrus.bsdclub.org/ but I haven't found the source code for the project. ICU ( http://site.icu-project.org/) provides uconv instead of iconv. On Windows, they typically use GNU libiconv since iconv isn't part of the C runtime library. If anyone thinks these (or possibly some other alternatives) are useful, I can add the links for them to the wiki. Please let me know if they any of them don't appear too bloated and would be worth adding. Thanks. Laura http://www.distasis.com/cpp