Many thanks for the help, Shiz and Rich! I've built gcc from source before but it's a chore. Rich's musl-cross-make was magical. Much better solution than using a 32-bit VM. All I need were these steps. The first two should be obvious but they tripped me up. Make sure gcc AND g++ are installed. unset CC unzip musl-cross-make-master.zip cd musl-cross-make-master make TARGET=i686-linux-musl OUTPUT=$(pwd).install -j6 install So this builds 32-bit executables that use musl libs. It kills two birds with one stone. That's great. But it appears to expect musl libc to be installed in /lib for dynamically linked executables. That's not an option for me. Is there a way I can override this? On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 6:20 PM, John Mudd wrote: > ... > It looks like I should build a cross compiler? I see several suggestions > on how to do this so I'm not confident this will work well. Or would it be > easier if I just installed a 32 bit Linux in a VM just for building 32 bit > apps with musl? > > John >