mailing list of musl libc
* utmpxname() but no prototype?
@ 2016-02-12  8:28 Andre McCurdy
From: Andre McCurdy @ 2016-02-12  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hi all,

The lxc configure script uses AC_CHECK_FUNCS to test for utmpxname()
support. From the comments it looks like this check was added
specifically for compatibility with musl:

  https://github.com/lxc/lxc/commit/8b6d8b712b867ab352598ed4b73e80e54a8c915a

Up until recently, this worked as expected: the configure script
correctly detected that musl did not provide utmpxname().

However, recently musl has gained a utmpxname() stub:

  http://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/commit/?id=378f8cb5222b63e4f8532c757ce54e4074567e1f

but without also gaining a corresponding prototype in utmpx.h.

This causes a new problem when building lxc: the configure script now
detects that utmpxname() is provided but the build then fails because
there's no prototype for it:

 | ../../../lxc-1.0.7/src/lxc/lxcutmp.c: In function 'utmp_get_runlevel':
 | ../../../lxc-1.0.7/src/lxc/lxcutmp.c:256:30: error: implicit
declaration of function 'utmpxname'
[-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
 |   if (!access(path, F_OK) && !utmpxname(path))
 |                               ^

Passing "ac_cv_func_utmpxname=no" to the lxc configure script is a
workaround but I'm wondering what the real solution should be. Should
utmpx.h be providing:

  #define utmpxname(x) (-1)

in the same way that utmp.h provides:

  #define utmpname(x) (-1)

?

Thanks
Andre

* Re: utmpxname() but no prototype?
@ 2016-02-12 14:56 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2016-02-12 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 12:28:53AM -0800, Andre McCurdy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The lxc configure script uses AC_CHECK_FUNCS to test for utmpxname()
> support. From the comments it looks like this check was added
> specifically for compatibility with musl:
>
>   https://github.com/lxc/lxc/commit/8b6d8b712b867ab352598ed4b73e80e54a8c915a
>
> Up until recently, this worked as expected: the configure script
> correctly detected that musl did not provide utmpxname().
>
> However, recently musl has gained a utmpxname() stub:
>
>   http://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/commit/?id=378f8cb5222b63e4f8532c757ce54e4074567e1f
>
> but without also gaining a corresponding prototype in utmpx.h.
>
> This causes a new problem when building lxc: the configure script now
> detects that utmpxname() is provided but the build then fails because
> there's no prototype for it:
>
>  | ../../../lxc-1.0.7/src/lxc/lxcutmp.c: In function 'utmp_get_runlevel':
>  | ../../../lxc-1.0.7/src/lxc/lxcutmp.c:256:30: error: implicit
> declaration of function 'utmpxname'
> [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
>  |   if (!access(path, F_OK) && !utmpxname(path))
>  |                               ^
>
> Passing "ac_cv_func_utmpxname=no" to the lxc configure script is a
> workaround but I'm wondering what the real solution should be. Should
> utmpx.h be providing:
>
>   #define utmpxname(x) (-1)
>
> in the same way that utmp.h provides:
>
>   #define utmpname(x) (-1)
>
> ?

No, there should be a prototype for it (under the appropriate feature
test conditions); this is simply an oversight. I'll add it. Thanks for
the report.

Rich