(having now had time to skim the whole paper, i see you are already comparing against llvm-libc [if not actually talking to them], and that you have done some binary64 work [but no binary128 yet]. if you are trying to find someone to talk to about llvm-libc and struggling with that, let me know and i can try to find someone...) On Fri, Sep 2, 2022 at 12:28 PM enh wrote: > > > On Fri, Sep 2, 2022 at 5:18 AM Rich Felker wrote: > >> On Fri, Sep 02, 2022 at 12:10:18PM +0200, Paul Zimmermann wrote: >> > Dear Rich, >> > >> > we now distribute the CORE-MATH routines under the MIT license, >> > to ease integration into Musl (among other libraries). >> > >> > Please can you point out to a Musl developer who might be >> > interested to integrate some CORE-MATH routines? >> > >> > We will try to answer potential issues that might arise >> > during this integration. >> > >> > Best regards, >> > Paul >> > >> > PS: see https://hal.inria.fr/hal-03721525 for more details about >> > the CORE-MATH project. >> >> Could you summaraize briefly what you have in mind, and what tradeoffs >> might be? Are these intended to be drop-in replacements for the >> existing standard functions, or implementations for the "cr" versions >> thereof? I have not followed closely the "mandatory requirement of >> correct rounding for mathematical functions in the next revision of >> the IEEE-754 standard" topic and how it relates to the future of C, >> but my vague recollection was that the direction folks were leaning >> was towards a separate set of cr*() functions or something. But if >> it's possible to do correct rounding in a way that's all-wins >> (performance, size, quality of results) or nearly all wins (maybe >> slightly larger?), at least for select functions, that seems very >> interesting. >> > > "what he said" (including the "i haven't been following the details"). > > assuming you have good answers to those questions then -- if you haven't > already done so -- you should probably also bring this up with > freebsd-numerics (https://wiki.freebsd.org/Numerics and the mailing list > mentioned on that page). that's the source of the vast majority of the libm > code used by Android/iOS/macOS. (the exceptions for Android are mostly > binary128 stuff from netbsd and arm32/arm64 optimized code from > https://github.com/ARM-software/optimized-routines.) > > on the opposite end of the spectrum, llvm-libc isn't widely used at all, > but that work is at such an early stage (although it seems like they have > had a heavy libm focus) that they probably don't have existing > implementations for a lot of stuff. > > it seems -- having admittedly not read past the abstract of the paper that > you linked to -- that you're only addressing binary32 so far? not even > binary64? (i'm used to binary128 not getting much love!) > > (oh, and thanks for picking a license that makes it much more likely that > all the libcs can use your work!) > > >> Rich >> >