On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 2:54 PM Rich Felker wrote: > I'm trying to wrap up a way-overdue release, and there are some known > things I wanted to get done in this cycle that just need to be put > off: > > - mntent fix: At least as I remember the state of things, there's no > fix patch that's been written and tested that's not making > additional possibly- (likely-) unwanted behavioral changes. > > - pthread_barrier_wait: It seems something is seriously wrong and I > (or someone else, but this is probably best for me to do) need to > sit down and work out the sequencing logic and figure out what's > wrong. The result might entail a redesign and rewrite, so I don't > think we can hold things up with this. I should probably drop use of > it in musl (all uses can be replaced by simpler primitives) but I'd > rather do that after release too. > > - ld-musl....path file location logic: There's a patch for this I > haven't reviewed. It's a low-impact issue so I'll look after > release. > > - ASM source file conversions to inline asm: I'm not sure of the > status on this; it was in progress but not ready for merge before. > > - Some mess in x32 sys/user.h: A bunch of members are 32-bit and some > (maybe all) need to be 64-bit? > > - Some RPATH $ORIGIN failure cases: I need to review this again. > > - Request for preadv2/pwritev2: No follow-up getting info on whether > or how glibc exposes them. > from https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/writev.2.html: preadv2() and pwritev2() first appeared in Linux 4.6. Library support was added in glibc 2.26. (we recently added them to bionic too.) - CMSG_* warning mess: We may want to finally act on this since it > keeps tripping people up, but I don't want to do a hasty change and > risk introducing a bug at release time. Let's look at this later. > > - NFTW_CHDIR support: This is probably ok but I haven't reviewed it. > Hope to merge after release. > > - nscd querying when the daemon is disabled for some query types: IIRC > this had really problematic behavior we don't understand well still > on the nscd side that might mean we're doing things wrong or that > there's no way to do things right. Needs investigation before any > action. > > - Glob altdirfunc stuff and related changes: I don't remember if the > UB was all resolved; if so this may be acceptable to merge. > > - _SC_NPROCESSORS_CONF: Need to review where this is at. > > - Improvements to qsort: These were put off pending qsort_r, which is > done now, so it may be appropriate to fix up and merge these. > > And some things that were open but approved for merge or trivial, that > I'm fixing now: > > - Zeroing canary byte to avoid leaking it via string functions > - Avoid runtime conversions of floating-point constants > - __WORDSIZE inconsistency on x32 > - Linux uapi additions > - nice EACCES/EPERM issue > > All in all, the above list turned out to be a lot more extensive than > I expected, and this really highlights the need for an issue > tracker... > > Please reply to add anything I may have missed. If you have follow-up > on any of the actual items, though, maybe hold off for a few days > until I can actually get a release out and have mental space to deal > with new stuff. :-) > > Rich >