On Mar 18, 2015 11:10 PM, wrote: > > On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 11:38:57AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote: > > > msgid "Permission denied" > > > msgstr "asdf@# lkjk^& (EPERM)" > > > > I'm a bit undecided on this. It's reasonable to ask people reporting > > bugs to set their locale temporarily to something the project > > maintainers understand (typically English). It's also pretty easy to > > grep the .po files or use Google Translate to figure out what the > > message says. > > > > If users with a non-English locale would find those kind of messages > > helpful and non-obtrusive (is latin text in the middle of non-latin > > obtrusive? perhaps, depending on font?), I'm not opposed to having > > them, but I don't think they should be added against the desire of > > most users out of an interest in making it easier to interpret bug > > reports for us or for other upstreams. > > As an application user I am motivated to be able to report problems as > exactly as possible. > > As a "library user" (either as a packager, application developer, > support staff or something else) I find it unfortunate/disturbing to > have to "guess" the actual error name, even when a message is in a well > known language like English. > > This is mostly very easy but sometimes less certain, with less usual > errors and/or different C libraries which may contain different English > strings/spellings too. > > An error-specific indentifier should IMHO always be present > in every message, not translated to a "natural" language with the > intention to be translatable back with more or less pain. > > IOW I'd like to always have the canonical errname in the output, > in English too. > > This would make error messages easier and more robust to interpret. > Would it make sense for the canonical names to be the output in the C locale and English if you set an English locale? Justin