On Apr 9, 2014 11:20 PM, "Rich Felker" wrote: > > On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 09:17:14AM +0200, u-igbb@aetey.se wrote: > > On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 06:41:12PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote: > > > As an aside, whether netlink is essential for a full-function modern > > > linux system is orthogonal to whether libc should be using it. A > > > hypothetical non-linux kernel providing linux syscall abi could > > > provide completely different net config utils. > > > > (I can not help wondering why you call this hypothetical, > > routinely using my "linux" binaries on *BSD. > > Oh wait, was it because mentioning demons' names is inappropriate? :) > > Does if_nameindex "work" (modulo the issues with it) on BSD linux > emulation now, and would it fail if we switched to netlink or /proc > based? This is not necessarily a show-stopper but it would be nice if > we had a workaround, and it's something where we should have input > from users running musl binaries on BSD. NetBSD has (optional) Linux /proc emulation. I will check the state of the current emulation for the nameindex. There is no netlink emulation. As I write the tests I get some influence...