mailing list of musl libc
* ELLCC and musl
@ 2012-07-09 13:35 Richard Pennington
From: Richard Pennington @ 2012-07-09 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

I added a blog post making my switch to musl official. :-)
http://ellcc.org/blog/?p=135

-Rich

* Re: ELLCC and musl
@ 2012-07-10  1:52 ` idunham
From: idunham @ 2012-07-10  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

> I added a blog post making my switch to musl official. :-)
> http://ellcc.org/blog/?p=135

Neat!
I have a few questions:

1-I noticed there was something about beginning a Microblaze port. Out of
curiousity, is this currently usable (to the point of running cat or ls),
was it abandoned, or is it present but not yet usable?

2-Do you plan to submit patches for mips/ppc (and Microblaze, if you have
it working) support soon?
(I ask this partly because Landley says that those two would be enough for
him to consider moving Aboriginal towards musl. Also, if it would take a
while and you're willing, some of us could prepare some patches).

3-Is SVN the only way to download source, or is there a way to get tarballs?

4-Roughly what compiler would you expect to be needed to build the toolchain?
(will GCC-3.4 g++ be enough, or would 4.2 or 4.6 be necessary?)

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham

* Re: ELLCC and musl
@ 2012-07-10  4:31   ` Richard Pennington
From: Richard Pennington @ 2012-07-10  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl; +Cc: idunham

On Monday, July 09, 2012 09:52:14 PM idunham@lavabit.com wrote:
> > I added a blog post making my switch to musl official. :-)
> > http://ellcc.org/blog/?p=135
>
> Neat!
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1-I noticed there was something about beginning a Microblaze port. Out of
> curiousity, is this currently usable (to the point of running cat or ls),
> was it abandoned, or is it present but not yet usable?
The Microblaze port is pretty far along. Most of my library regression tests
succeed.

For executables, I compile and run (NetBSD versions) of cat, chmod, cp echo,
ed, expr, kill, ln ls, mkdir, mv, pwd, rmdir, rm, sleep, and test,

Of these the (rudimentary) tests fail for Microblaze for ed, expr. ls, and
test.

You can see outstanding bugs at http://ellcc.org/bugzilla/

> 2-Do you plan to submit patches for mips/ppc (and Microblaze, if you have
> it working) support soon?
> (I ask this partly because Landley says that those two would be enough for
> him to consider moving Aboriginal towards musl. Also, if it would take a
> while and you're willing, some of us could prepare some patches).
Microblaze will probably come before ppc, just because I'm still struggling
with clang/LLVM support of ppc.

> 3-Is SVN the only way to download source, or is there a way to get tarballs?

Right now it is just SVN. I could set up tarballs, though, if there is enough
interest.

> 4-Roughly what compiler would you expect to be needed to build the
> toolchain? (will GCC-3.4 g++ be enough, or would 4.2 or 4.6 be necessary?)
I have only used clang/LLVM for testing. I was testing against gcc 4.6
previously.

-Rich

* Re: ELLCC and musl
@ 2012-07-10  5:10   ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-07-10  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 09:52:14PM -0400, idunham@lavabit.com wrote:
> 2-Do you plan to submit patches for mips/ppc (and Microblaze, if you have
> it working) support soon?

I've spent some time checking and integrating rdp's work on mips and
it seems to be basically working, but with important details still
missing. I'm considering just committing what's done so far to let it
get some testing.

> 4-Roughly what compiler would you expect to be needed to build the toolchain?
> (will GCC-3.4 g++ be enough, or would 4.2 or 4.6 be necessary?)

I've been building with Landley's Aboriginal toolchain to test the
mips port. That's 4.2.1, but I see no reason why 3.4 shouldn't work..

Rich

* Re: ELLCC and musl
@ 2012-07-10  6:13 ` Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2012-07-10  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

2012/7/9 Richard Pennington <rich@pennware.com>:
> I added a blog post making my switch to musl official. :-)
> http://ellcc.org/blog/?p=135
>
> -Rich

Very cool!
Are the LLVM/Clang related patches from the LLVMlinux project
(http://llvm.linuxfoundation.org )* non-invasive enough to integrate
in ELLCC?
The LLVMlinux project currently targets x86_64, MIPS and ARM so it
seems to be quite similar to the interests of ELLCC.
This could be quite an interesting start of a new self-hosting
linux-based operating system based on musl+LLVM/{clang, libc++} :)

* for an easy overview how one can integrate the patches in a standard
svn build rather than the Makefiles/scripts from the LLVMlinux
project, see PKGBUILD at:

I have still not succeeded in building the x86_64 LLVMlinux kernel,
but it worked before with the LLL project so I will fight some more
with it later when time allows.