John , thank you for pointing out that size() is used in the comparison table, somehow oversaw that. BTW, out of curiosity where does the extra size come from ? Some elf specific format data ? On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM, John Spencer wrote: > On 04/07/2013 04:43 PM, Timerlan Moldobaev wrote: > >> Hi, >> >> Can you please help with reducing the size of statically linked libc.a >> library ? >> Whereas the comparison table located in >> http://www.etalabs.net/**compare_libcs.html >> claims the size of complete .a set as 333k, I got around 2M while building >> the library on x86_64 with gcc version 4.1.1. >> > > the comparison page also notes that it is using size(1) and not filesize. > > > I suppose that might be caused by including in libc.a object files that >> belong to libm, librt, libpthread and others. >> Am I right ? >> Is there any way to compile libc.a solely ? >> > > the only thing that can theoretically be left away is libm, but this would > need some effort. > things like pthread support are fundamental to musl's inner workings, so > they can not be left away. > > >