mailing list of musl libc
From: Yuri Kanivetsky <yuri.kanivetsky@gmail.com>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@libc.org>
Cc: Markus Wichmann <nullplan@gmx.net>, musl@lists.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [musl] What determines the TERM variable value?
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 10:54:23 +0200	[thread overview]

I don't think it's configurable in a common sense:

https://github.com/moby/moby/blob/v20.10.12/container/container.go#L752

But you can do:

$ docker run --rm -it -e TERM=xterm-256color alpine
/ # echo $TERM
xterm-256color

So, to sum it up, a terminal emulator is a program (let's not bring up
virtual consoles here) that emulates a terminal. It creates a pty (a
master/slave pair), drawing in a window what it receives from the pty,
and sending what user types to the pty. It also processes some escape
sequences it receives from the pty, and transforms some user
keystrokes into escape sequences before sending them to the pty. And
that determines the TERM variable value (for it to work correctly
you've got to have it set to a correct value).

Then there are some programs like screen and tmux, that are not
strictly terminal emulators, but in a way they are. They also create a
pty, and translate escape sequences from the "language" they
understand to the "language" understood by what's up the chain
(according to TERM), and vice versa. And again you've got to keep TERM
to a fixed range of values for it to work correctly.

Then there're some programs like ssh that create a pty, but doesn't change TERM.

And programs like docker that create a pty, but change TERM.

https://github.com/moby/moby/commit/c85db1003b#diff-14bacfb63a209323729af295c64c9bb978c84e810d18e3e7b7ae66d9b3cd7acaR259

Most likely to be user friendly. To make it work automagically for
users with an uncommon TERM value. I'd say it makes it more confusing
this way, but well, probably not everybody would agree.

So, basically with programs like ssh and docker, you generally want to
keep TERM unchanged. Granted that the corresponding terminfo entry
exists on a server/in a container.

But why would a program like ssh or docker want to create a pty in the
first place? If a pty on its own is just a data channel, then they
could just pass data as is, letting a terminal emulator handle things.
Isn't having TERM set enough for the programs down the chain to see
that they're connected to a terminal?