mailing list of musl libc
* [musl] musl libc failed to preserve ownership
@ 2020-01-22 10:42 Андрей Аладьев
From: Андрей Аладьев @ 2020-01-22 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

My experience in using mailing list is very low. I may duplicate this
email. Sorry.

I saw previous https://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/2015/04/03/3 discussion
about coreutils:

cp: failed to preserve ownership for
/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/portage-2.3.84-r1/image/./usr/bin/quickpkg: Not
supported

I've reproduced this bug inside x86_64 musl container without qemu. I want
just to clarify - this is 100% cross compilation issue of coreutils. It is
connected with autoconf wrong guessing about musl.

This issue will be fixed in next coreutils releases with the following
commit
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/patch/?id=453ff940449bbbde9ec00f0bbf82a359c5598fc7

More info here https://bugs.gentoo.org/687236. Thank you.

* Re: [musl] musl libc failed to preserve ownership
@ 2020-01-22 13:58 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2020-01-22 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl
  Cc: Андрей
	Аладьев

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 01:42:40PM +0300, Андрей Аладьев wrote:
> My experience in using mailing list is very low. I may duplicate this
> email. Sorry.
>
> I saw previous https://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/2015/04/03/3 discussion
> about coreutils:
>
> cp: failed to preserve ownership for
> /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/portage-2.3.84-r1/image/./usr/bin/quickpkg: Not
> supported
>
> I've reproduced this bug inside x86_64 musl container without qemu. I want
> just to clarify - this is 100% cross compilation issue of coreutils. It is
> connected with autoconf wrong guessing about musl.
>
> This issue will be fixed in next coreutils releases with the following
> commit
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/patch/?id=453ff940449bbbde9ec00f0bbf82a359c5598fc7
>
> More info here https://bugs.gentoo.org/687236. Thank you.

I'm not sure how that change in gnulib made it go away, but there's an
actual bug in coreutils that's the root of this problem. I commented
on the tracker for the bug you linked:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/687236#c17

Rich