On Oct 24, 2015 12:20 PM, "Kurt H Maier" wrote: > > On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 02:24:11PM -0700, Tim Hockin wrote: > > > > I understand your point, though the world at large tends to disagree. > > The world at large uses bad software. Please don't use this sort of > reasoning as a justification for and embrace-extend operation on actual > standards. Where is the standard that defines ordering semantics in resolv.conf? > > The real world is not ideal. Not all nameservers are identically > > scoped - you MUST respect the ordering in resolv.conf - to do > > otherwise is semantically broken. If implementation simplicity means > > literally doing queries in serial, then that is what you should do. > > You absolutely cannot respect the ordering in resolv.conf; at least not > if you're relying on someone else's resolver. If the orchestration > software depends on specific results being returned in particular > orders, the orchestration software should provide a mechanism to > generate them. > > > Similarly, you can't just search all search domains in parallel and > > take the first response. The ordering is meaningful. > > It should not be, and more to the point will not reliably be, > meaningful. Search has to be ordered. You can not possibly argue otherwise? > You are arguing for introducing performance penalties into musl that do > not affect you but do very much affect lots of other users. I hope they > do not happen -- musl is not the right place to fix your problem. I am arguing for adding a very standard feature (search) to open musl to a whole new space of users. Nobody is forcing you to use search paths or ndots.