Hi, Rich started with basic tools for unix (noXCUse): http://git.etalabs.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=noxcuse;a=summary ...and this is a good time to talk about other tools/daemons. syslog ---------- rsyslog, syslog-ng - seems to be quite a hard choice. syslog-ng needs glib etc. sysklogd - is an old and good, but today might be a little too outdated. socklog - recommended by suckless.org etc., http://smarden.org/socklog/ metalog - (http://metalog.sourceforge.net/). Require PCRE, but it is a very lightweight solution. The original release has ugly gnulib dep. I deleted the extraneous code (gnulib) and packed everything into one file (mlog.tar). The whole is adapted to musl. This stuff requires further work (Makefile +-DOPTIONS)... sed ----- sed can be a big problem. I noticed that some programs require gnu sed for proper installation (configure, Makefile). minised is very interesting and worth a recommendation. http://www.exactcode.de/site/open_source/minised/ Unfortunately, even with minised I can't build packages such as e2fsprogs, findutils or find etc. from my find's build.log: checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c checking whether ln -s works... yes checking for a sed that does not truncate output... configure: error: no acceptable sed could be found in $PATH We can prepare a patches etc... but if autotools will push gnu sed this issue will return in the future as well as with other programs... btw. I also ported to musl/linux bsd sed (from OpenBSD), but it has worse compatibility with gnu sed than minised. cron ------ I recommend ncron. Works very well with musl. http://kain.us/nk/projects/ best regards, Daniel