mailing list of musl libc
* [musl] WG14 hasn't fixed the ferror status issue for fputwc EILSEQ yet?
@ 2023-03-20 20:23 Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2023-03-20 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl; +Cc: Jₑₙₛ Gustedt

The issue for fgetwc has been fixed according to the discussion here:

https://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1022

and indeed is fixed in the C2x draft. But the corresponding issue for
fputwc is not fixed. POSIX still requires setting the error indicator
for the stream on EILSEQ, but ISO C (by omission/accident) disallows
it.

Any chance we can get this fixed in time for C2x release?

I noticed it while fixing the wide printf error handling bugs in musl
(reported by Bruno), while trying to confirm that it's correct to rely
on the error status being set.

Rich

* Re: [musl] WG14 hasn't fixed the ferror status issue for fputwc EILSEQ yet?
@ 2023-03-20 20:26 ` Gabriel Ravier
From: Gabriel Ravier @ 2023-03-20 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl, Rich Felker; +Cc: Jₑₙₛ Gustedt

On 3/20/23 21:23, Rich Felker wrote:
> The issue for fgetwc has been fixed according to the discussion here:
>
> https://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1022
>
> and indeed is fixed in the C2x draft. But the corresponding issue for
> fputwc is not fixed. POSIX still requires setting the error indicator
> for the stream on EILSEQ, but ISO C (by omission/accident) disallows
> it.
>
> Any chance we can get this fixed in time for C2x release?
>
> I noticed it while fixing the wide printf error handling bugs in musl
> (reported by Bruno), while trying to confirm that it's correct to rely
> on the error status being set.
>
> Rich

A Defect Report to that effect can probably get in later pretty quickly
(by WG14 standards) but IIRC unless I'm wrong about how WG14 works I'm
pretty sure new proposals not directly related to national body comments
are not gonna get into C2x (and C2x national body comments have already
been made).

* Re: [musl] WG14 hasn't fixed the ferror status issue for fputwc EILSEQ yet?
@ 2023-03-20 21:04   ` Jens Gustedt
From: Jens Gustedt @ 2023-03-20 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Ravier, musl, Rich Felker