On 2024-03-22 10:10:29 +1000, David Schinazi wrote: > > PS: which are the stakeholders contacted while the relevant standards > > brought in such hazardous default? > > > These RFCs went through the IETF Standards Track process, so the entire > IETF community was consulted when this was finalized around 2011-2012. > > I'd like to understand why you think this is hazardous though. mDNS only > applies to host names under .local - those names are not covered by DNSSEC, > and therefore any queries for them are always sent completely insecure. > Sending those queries over the wire to the configured DNS resolver has very > similar security properties to sending them over the wire as multicast. Please ignore my comment from the peanut gallery if it is totally off, but is it not a difference between being able to do MitM (for regular non-DNSSEC DNS) and just being on the same network (multicast)? So the former only router/gateway can do, the latter anyone able to respond to the multicast? Assuming my understanding is correct, that does not seem "very similar security properties". Have a nice day, Tomas Volf -- There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.