mailing list of musl libc
From: Zach van Rijn <me@zv.io>
To: musl@lists.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [musl] Current state and future of musl development infrastructure
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 13:20:27 -0600	[thread overview]

On Thu, 2021-12-16 at 00:02 -0500, Rich Felker wrote:

> I'd really love if the CI were optimized to do incremental
> builds and reuse artifacts as much as possible for rapid
> results, but doing that right probably requires fixing missing
> dependency tracking in the build.

I'd recommend taking ccache for a spin before investing time in a
more involved solution. What type of security/access requirements
do you have? E.g. a mechanism to keep some code/tests private?

> A manually curated TODO list/wishlist on the wiki was how this
> was managed for the last N years, and it wasn't really good
> because it failed to link community discussion of the issue and
> didn't capture things not already valued by me or community.
> Even with a bug tracker it would be perfectly fine (and much
> more effective than it is now) to have a TODO/roadmap, since it
> could *link to* the relevant tracker items for more detail and
> record of what exactly is wanted or proposed and why.

Leah suggested Request Tracker [0] yesterday in IRC but setup is
pretty nasty [1] (quote):

    Some modules require user input or environment variables to
    install correctly, so it may be necessary to install them
    manually. Some modules also require external source
    libraries, so you may need to install additional packages.

Not to mention database backups, upgrades, and other maintenance.

One might consider Mantis [2]. It's brilliantly simple, so I've
put together a quick example of a minimal setup [3]. Someone will
need to figure out how to enable email support in this example.

A live demo (official Mantis bug tracker) is here [4].

ZV

[0]: https://bestpractical.com/download-page
[1]: https://docs.bestpractical.com/rt/5.0.2/README.html
[2]: https://www.mantisbt.org/