On 14/02/2020 06:12, Brian Peregrine wrote: > One of the main issues that is holding back musl use in gentoo is the > lack of browsers on gentoo/musl. > > I'm not much of a coder (my skills are quite limited), so can't do much on this. > SJLC could work on this, but for that to happen we need donations. > Alternatively, other musl developers can help on this issue. > I posted a request to integrate a firefox and chromium script to > gentoo/musl, see https://github.com/gentoo/musl/pull/296 ,but they're > outdated so need to be improved before the pull would be accepted. Any > coding help from musl members would be appreciated. > > Also, we would like to integrate the possibility of musl compilation > with the palemoon browser, but again, we need donations for this. The > palemoon browser (under musl) is already being used in our own musl > distro (TAZ), but we need to integrate the musl compilation directly > into the browser to make the whole process easier (ie also for > developing new TAZ releases). Donations are welcome at > https://github.com/Sharrisii/TAZ (sponsor button). Adélie has been very active in making a Firefox build that works properly on musl on all the supported architectures. (We haven't yet tested MIPS or RISC-V.) The patches and build recipe are available in our Git at: https://code.foxkit.us/adelie/packages/tree/master/user/firefox-esr We are also working on making the latest development branches of Qt WebKit function properly on musl. Since it is a Git snapshot, it isn't working perfectly, but our in-progress patchset is at: https://code.foxkit.us/adelie/packages/tree/master/user/qt5-qtwebkit The Adélie team would also appreciate any donations you can afford. We work very hard every day to improve the state of the art, and work with upstreams and software authors to try to obviate the need to patch software to work on musl at all :) https://www.adelielinux.org/contribute.html On the other paw, there is one Chromium patchset that I'm aware of that attempts to make it work on musl and has people actually experienced in this type of porting work involved. It is slightly outdated - by 8 months - which isn't much for most software, but is an eternity for Google software. For security and privacy reasons I do not recommend usage of Chromium, but if you feel especially brave, the patchset is at: https://github.com/smaeul/portage-overlay/blob/master/www-client/chromium/ Hope this helps your endeavours to bring different browsers to your musl distribution(s). Best, --arw -- A. Wilcox (awilfox) Project Lead, Adélie Linux https://www.adelielinux.org