mailing list of musl libc
From: Nikos Dragazis <ndragazis@arrikto.com>
To: musl@lists.openwall.com
Subject: [musl] Ignoring dependencies libresolv and libcrypt
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 19:14:10 +0300

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has already been answered before.

I am experimenting with musl. I see that musl produces a single DSO with
all symbols, as opposed to glibc which produces multiple DSOs
(libthread, libm, librt, etc.). I also notice that musl generates some
empty archives for compatibility reasons, namely the
lib{crypt,dl,m,pthread,resolv,rt,util,xnet}.a. These are already
documented in the FAQ [1].

By looking at the code [2], I see that musl's dynamic linker ignores
dynamic dependencies with names lib{c,pthread,rt,m,dl,util,xnet} and
this makes sense based on the above.

What doesn't make sense to me is that musl's dynamic linker does not
ignore dynamic dependencies with names libresolv and libcrypt. Is there
a reason for this?

Thanks in advance,
Nikos

[1] https://wiki.musl-libc.org/faq.html#Q:-lib(m|pthread|crypt).a/so-are-empty?