On 08/25/18 20:23, Rich Felker wrote: > the gcc crtbegin/crtend mess is > just for wacky language runtimes like java (gcj, obsolete and removed > from gcc). I'm not sure if there are other compilers out there that > still don't know how to do the arrays, though (pcc? firm/cparser?). That wacky language runtime is still needed to bootstrap Java compilers without relying on binaries. This is especially important for musl (because except for Oracle's semi-proprietary portola, there is no binary for musl at all) and for other architectures (OpenJDK is, as far as I'm aware, not a cross-compiler, so arches like mips or ppc64 would be screwed). --arw -- A. Wilcox (awilfox) Project Lead, Adélie Linux http://adelielinux.org