mailing list of musl libc
* [musl] [pthread] pthread_barrier_wait  invalid case
@ 2021-12-16 15:25 zuotina
From: zuotina @ 2021-12-16 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hi everrone

I encountered a panic problem when using timer_create recently.
Although the probability is small, it still happened.
Finaly I found there is a problem in the code of phtread_barrier_wait,
and review code found that there may be problems in the following place,
81  a_store(&b->_b_lock, 0);
82  if (b->_b_waiters) __wake(&b->_b_lock, 1, 1);
If scheduling occurs between lines 81 and 82, it will be not good.
So I did an experiment and modified the source code of pthread_barrier_wait to verify my guess
```c
81  a_store(&b->_b_lock, 0);
                 /* If it is scheduled out here, when another thread executes pthread_barrier_wait again,
                    it can go through the entire function happily, that is, it will not be blocked */
      syscall(yiled); // new add for test
               // When the dispatch comes back, this b has been released
82  if (b->_b_waiters) __wake(&b->_b_lock, 1, 1);
```
Here is an example of timer_create (src/time/timer_create.c)
There are two threads A and B call pthread_barrier_wait.
The call is as follows
A thread: (timer_create // parent thread)
{
      // new add for test---begin
       while(b->_b_inst == NULL) {
                syscall(yield);
       }
     // new add for test---end
     pthread_barrier_wait();
}
B thread: (start // child thread)
{
      //  Ensure that this function is advanced to the if (!inst) {} branch of barrier_wait
      pthread_barrier_wait();
}

In short, the reason for panic is that pthread_barrier_wait is not blocked as expected;
I hope you help to confirm whether there is a problem with the implementation
of pthread_barrier_wait or am I wrong?

Looking forward to your reply. Thank you.