* Wrong catcode?
@ 2000-12-31 11:42 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2000-12-31 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, I'm using ConTeXt 2000.12.14

It looks like some <protection> leaked through some macros, since ? has
catcode 11 instead of 12. It's not my document's fault, since
\showthe\catcode`? gives 11 even at the very top of the file. This means
that things like \type{\dots?} cannot be used anymore (that's what happened
to me :->).

I believe this is a "recent" problem, since the previous format I was using
(2000.9.21) compiled the document flawlessly.

Giuseppe Bilotta
From g029@mailserv.uni-giessen.de Tue Jan  2 18:54:00 2001 +0100
To: David Arnold <darnold@northcoast.com>
From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Sender: owner-ntg-context@let.uu.nl
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:40:09 +0100
Subject: Re: context 2000.12.23

At 10:52 PM 12/30/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Hans,
>
>Taking a little time off to play. I got the new beta, unzipped, updated the
>database, made the formats (context, mptopdf, metafun), but this file:

Ah, this is some optimization code that is etex specific and ends up in
normal tex mode.

either comment

  \readfile{font-exp.tex}{}{} % load local experiments

in font-ini.tex, or

  delete font-exp.tex

and in both cases regenerate the pdftex format, or even better:

  USE PDFETEX !

but, i'll fix it anyway -)

end

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Wrong catcode?
@ 2001-01-04 23:04         ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-01-04 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

George N. White III wrote:

> You shouldn't need to regenerate formats.  If you check a .log file
> you will see that cont-sys is read each time context is run.  I have
> already made the change on my system at work, and am about to do so
> on my home system.

That's pretty good news, thanks :-)

Giuseppe Bilotta

* Re: Wrong catcode?
@ 2001-01-04 22:38       ` George N. White III
From: George N. White III @ 2001-01-04 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, ConTeXt

--
George N. White III <WhiteG@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>  tel: 902.426.8509
  Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Nova Scotia, Canada (TZ=AST4ADT)

* Re: Wrong catcode?
@ 2001-01-04 17:31     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-01-04 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

@ 2001-01-04 10:11   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-04 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 02:07 PM 1/3/01 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>cont-sys has an unmatched unprotect at the beginning (there is a \protect in
>a commented block);

Every \unprotect should be matched by a \protect, unless in a macro def, so
you can probably uncomment the \protect.

If you give some 10 \protect's you get a warning -)

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Wrong catcode?
@ 2001-01-03 13:07 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-01-03 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 12:42 PM 12/31/00 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> >Hello, I'm using ConTeXt 2000.12.14
> >
> >It looks like some <protection> leaked through some macros, since ? has
> >catcode 11 instead of 12. It's not my document's fault, since
> >\showthe\catcode`? gives 11 even at the very top of the file. This means
> >that things like \type{\dots?} cannot be used anymore (that's what
happened
> >to me :->).
> >
> >I believe this is a "recent" problem, since the previous format I was
using
> >(2000.9.21) compiled the document flawlessly.
>
> Hm. Can you check cont-new.tex and cont-sys.tex for matching \protect ..
> \unprotect?

cont-sys has an unmatched unprotect at the beginning (there is a \protect in
a commented block);
cont-new has 11 unprotect and 7 protects;

do these figures mean something to you?

> \starttext
>
> \def\test{test} \test?
>
> \stoptext
>
> should work. When reading module etc files, protection is handled, so
maybe
> some \unprotect lacks, When exactly does this happen?

In the document; something as easy as

\starttext
 Hello, World! This is \TeX!
\stoptext

shows the bug. Both ! and ? are of catcode letter rather than other.

Giuseppe Bilotta

* Re: Wrong catcode?
@ 2001-01-02 17:40 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-02 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)