* Typesetting abbreviations
@ 2018-10-27 21:04 Clyde Johnston
From: Clyde Johnston @ 2018-10-27 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

What is the correct way to typeset an abbreviation in ConTeXt?  The space
after the full stop seems too big and if I use \thinspace, I cannot use
ties.

No command - space is too big

\starttext

Mr. John Doe

\stoptext

With tie - space is too big

\starttext

Mr.~John Doe

\stoptext

With \thinspace - looks right except at an end of line

\starttext

Mr.\thinspace John Doe

\stoptext

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Clyde

* Re: Typesetting abbreviations
@ 2018-10-27 23:11 ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2018-10-27 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

frenchpunctuation ;-)

--
Alan

* Re: Typesetting abbreviations
@ 2018-10-28  9:53 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2018-10-28  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can disable the bigger space at the end of a sentence with the
spacing key from \setuplanguage but as you can see from the example
below ~ creates a normal space.

\setuppapersize[A8]

\starttext

Mr. \vrule John Doe

Mr.~\vrule John Doe

Mr.\nobreakspace\vrule John Doe

Mr.\ \vrule John Doe

Mr.\narrownobreakspace\vrule John Doe

\blank

Mr. \vrule John Doe

\setuplanguage [en] [spacing=packed]

Mr. \vrule John Doe

\stoptext

Wolfgang

@ 2018-10-28 10:59   ` Clyde Johnston
From: Clyde Johnston @ 2018-10-28 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is very insightful.  I am not a professional typographer but to my eye,
the problem is really with the period.  It should really be treated as a
modification to the previous character rather than a separate full-stop
character.  This way the spacing would work as designed.

\setuppapersize[A8]

\starttext

Mr. \vrule John Doe

Mr\kern-.1em.~\vrule John Doe

\setuplanguage [en] [spacing=packed]

Mr. \vrule John Doe

Mr\kern-.1em.~\vrule John Doe

\stoptext

Maybe this would be better handled with a macro.

Clyde