* Using ConTeXt for a thesis?
@ 2009-12-19 13:55 Manuel P.
From: Manuel P. @ 2009-12-19 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: context-ml

Hi everyone! This is my first post here.

I've a limited (but sufficient) experience with LaTeX (I've written
several work-related documents with it) and now I have to write my
undergraduate thesis (the deadline is mid-january 2010). I've been fairy
impressed by a book typesetted with ConTeXt, so I used it for some
documents and liked the idea and the configurability. The possibility of
having a unique and personalized look-and-feel for every document is
very appealing to me, and I have already began to assemble a style for
the thesis.

However, I've a very limited experience with it and I wonder: is ConTeXt
the right choice in my circumstances? Can it be used without a degree in
typography? I can't write half thesis and then stumble on some obscure
(to me) typesetting problem, things have to be smooth and I need to
concentrate on content (but I still find desiderable a good unique
look). When I have a problem I try my best to resolve it by myself, but
given the limited time I can't learn and investigate everything, so if
I'll write my thesis in ConTeXt in some (desperate) cases I'll need your
help.

What do you think?

Thank you all!

PS: I live in Italy, sorry for my probably imperfect english!

* Re: Using ConTeXt for a thesis?
@ 2009-12-19 14:08 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-12-19 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Manuel P. wrote:
> Hi everyone! This is my first post here.
>
> I've a limited (but sufficient) experience with LaTeX (I've written
> several work-related documents with it) and now I have to write my
> undergraduate thesis (the deadline is mid-january 2010). I've been fairy
> impressed by a book typesetted with ConTeXt, so I used it for some
> documents and liked the idea and the configurability. The possibility of
> having a unique and personalized look-and-feel for every document is
> very appealing to me, and I have already began to assemble a style for
> the thesis.
>
> However, I've a very limited experience with it and I wonder: is ConTeXt
> the right choice in my circumstances? Can it be used without a degree in
> typography? I can't write half thesis and then stumble on some obscure
> (to me) typesetting problem, things have to be smooth and I need to
> concentrate on content (but I still find desiderable a good unique
> look). When I have a problem I try my best to resolve it by myself, but
> given the limited time I can't learn and investigate everything, so if
> I'll write my thesis in ConTeXt in some (desperate) cases I'll need your
> help.
>
> What do you think?

aditya wrote a quite impressive nice looking thesis so it is doable

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-12-19 15:21 ` George N. White III
From: George N. White III @ 2009-12-19 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Manuel P. <ayeye.sysforge@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone! This is my first post here.
>
> I've a limited (but sufficient) experience with LaTeX (I've written several
> work-related documents with it) and now I have to write my undergraduate
> thesis (the deadline is mid-january 2010). I've been fairy impressed by a
> book typesetted with ConTeXt, so I used it for some documents and liked the
> idea and the configurability. The possibility of having a unique and
> personalized look-and-feel for every document is very appealing to me, and I
> have already began to assemble a style for the thesis.
>
> However, I've a very limited experience with it and I wonder: is ConTeXt the
> right choice in my circumstances? Can it be used without a degree in
> typography? I can't write half thesis and then stumble on some obscure (to
> me) typesetting problem, things have to be smooth and I need to concentrate
> on content (but I still find desiderable a good unique look). When I have a
> problem I try my best to resolve it by myself, but given the limited time I
> can't learn and investigate everything, so if I'll write my thesis in
> ConTeXt in some (desperate) cases I'll need your help.
>
> What do you think?

I was the first person at my institution to use a computer to "type" my thesis
(with a daisywheel printer that was essentially a modified typewriter) in the
days before TeX was accessible to students.

When you follow an existing process you benefit from the efforts of those who
have gone before, but when you do things in a new way you may find that your
efforts get more rigorous scrutiny.   I have heard of cases where some of the
institution's rules for thesis formats are not enforced "because it is
too hard to
do that using MS Word", but the same exceptions are not granted to TeX users.

ConTeXt has been used, but different institutions have different rules
and expectations.
At many institutions there is already a LaTeX thesis style "ready to go", but I
have heard of problems when these were used outside science, e.g, because
the science people don't use footnotes the same way as for other fields.

FInd out if LaTeX is used at your institution (even if you choose ConTeXt,
the LaTeX style can serve to document fonts and other details.  Find out
who enforces the institution's standards and discuss your plans with them --
they may be able to help you identify particular trouble spots in advance
so you can get more specific help/advice while there is time to change plans.

> Thank you all!
>
> PS: I live in Italy, sorry for my probably imperfect english!

George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

* Re: Using ConTeXt for a thesis?
@ 2009-12-19 21:10   ` Manuel P.
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Manuel P. @ 2009-12-19 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

George N. White III ha scritto:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Manuel P. <ayeye.sysforge@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone! This is my first post here.
>>
>> I've a limited (but sufficient) experience with LaTeX (I've written several
>> work-related documents with it) and now I have to write my undergraduate
>> thesis (the deadline is mid-january 2010). I've been fairy impressed by a
>> book typesetted with ConTeXt, so I used it for some documents and liked the
>> idea and the configurability. The possibility of having a unique and
>> personalized look-and-feel for every document is very appealing to me, and I
>> have already began to assemble a style for the thesis.
>>
>> However, I've a very limited experience with it and I wonder: is ConTeXt the
>> right choice in my circumstances? Can it be used without a degree in
>> typography? I can't write half thesis and then stumble on some obscure (to
>> me) typesetting problem, things have to be smooth and I need to concentrate
>> on content (but I still find desiderable a good unique look). When I have a
>> problem I try my best to resolve it by myself, but given the limited time I
>> can't learn and investigate everything, so if I'll write my thesis in
>> ConTeXt in some (desperate) cases I'll need your help.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> I was the first person at my institution to use a computer to "type" my thesis
> (with a daisywheel printer that was essentially a modified typewriter) in the
> days before TeX was accessible to students.
>
> When you follow an existing process you benefit from the efforts of those who
> have gone before, but when you do things in a new way you may find that your
> efforts get more rigorous scrutiny.   I have heard of cases where some of the
> institution's rules for thesis formats are not enforced "because it is
> too hard to
> do that using MS Word", but the same exceptions are not granted to TeX users.
>
> ConTeXt has been used, but different institutions have different rules
> and expectations.
> At many institutions there is already a LaTeX thesis style "ready to go", but I
> have heard of problems when these were used outside science, e.g, because
> the science people don't use footnotes the same way as for other fields.
>
> FInd out if LaTeX is used at your institution (even if you choose ConTeXt,
> the LaTeX style can serve to document fonts and other details.  Find out
> who enforces the institution's standards and discuss your plans with them --
> they may be able to help you identify particular trouble spots in advance
> so you can get more specific help/advice while there is time to change plans.

I've already asked and there isn't any policy about the format. Some
students write their thesis with LaTeX, others with openoffice, there
isn't any style enforcement policy as far as I know.

My requirements are quite easy: something unobtrusive that enable me to
focus on the content and obtain a nice and consistent look with a
virtually flat leaning curve (I don't mind a bit of learning, but I
can't spend days on that). Some pictures, some tables, mainly text.
Footnotes, bibliography, quotes and easy personalization of footers and
headers.

Some quick examples:
- How can I make a double-face document (right page, left page)?
- How can I separate the footer from the rest of the page with something
like an \hairline?
- There is an equivalent for ConTeXt of LaTeX's lastpage? I want a
footer like this: <page>/<n. of pages>

* Re: Using ConTeXt for a thesis?
@ 2009-12-20  3:52     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-12-20  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009, Manuel P. wrote:

> George N. White III ha scritto:
>>
>> ConTeXt has been used, but different institutions have different rules
>> and expectations.
>> At many institutions there is already a LaTeX thesis style "ready to go",

In my experience, the trouble is not creating a style that meets your
university's requirement: that is easy both in LaTeX (once you know the
right packages) or ConTeXt. The difficulty is understanding your
universities requirement which, in most cases, is ambiguous and
incomplete.

> My requirements are quite easy: something unobtrusive that enable me to focus
> on the content and obtain a nice and consistent look with a virtually flat
> leaning curve (I don't mind a bit of learning, but I can't spend days on
> that). Some pictures, some tables, mainly text. Footnotes, bibliography,
> quotes and easy personalization of footers and headers.

All this is easy in ConTeXt and also LaTeX. I don't think that ConTeXt's
has an advantage over LaTeX in terms of ease of configurability. ConTeXt's
main advantage is consistency. Once you understand a few basics, you can
guess the right keywords for other commands. In LaTeX, each package has
its own conventions and remembering stuff is more difficult.

> Some quick examples:
> - How can I make a double-face document (right page, left page)?

> - How can I separate the footer from the rest of the page with something like
> an \hairline?

\setupbackgrounds[footer][text][topframe=on]

> - There is an equivalent for ConTeXt of LaTeX's lastpage? I want a footer
> like this: <page>/<n. of pages>

\lastpage :)

\setupfootertexts[Page \pagenumber\ of \lastpage]

Aditya

* Re: Using ConTeXt for a thesis?
@ 2009-12-20  7:09     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-12-20  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 22:10, Manuel P. wrote:

> My requirements are quite easy: something unobtrusive that enable me to
> focus on the content and obtain a nice and consistent look with a virtually
> flat leaning curve (I don't mind a bit of learning, but I can't spend days
> on that). Some pictures, some tables, mainly text. Footnotes, bibliography,
> quotes and easy personalization of footers and headers.

Despite the fact that you can get your questions answered here, it
still makes sense to read (or at least skim through) the two manuals
(CONTEXT, an excursion and cont-eni.pdf from
http://www.pragma-ade.com/overview.htm).

Mojca

* Re: Using ConTeXt for a thesis?
@ 2009-12-20 10:14       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2009-12-20 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Dec 19 2009, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> In my experience, the trouble is not creating a style that meets your
> university's requirement: that is easy both in LaTeX (once you know the
> right packages) or ConTeXt. The difficulty is understanding your
> universities requirement which, in most cases, is ambiguous and incomplete.

Hello,

The other trouble can be, that the requirements are simply ugly and don't
even respect basic typographic rules (line lengths of more than 80
characters for example).

I've typeset three PhD thesis and one master thesis, and I've never
bothered with the "requirements" of the universities.
The result was, that some members of the juries paid compliments on the look
of the dissertations ("like a book").

I'm not an expert in typography, but sometimes the people inventing those
rules at universities are even less expert... :(

The one, that I like best (balanced columns):
http://pmrb.free.fr/tmp/main.pdf
(I'm sorry, I've typeset it before my LaTeX->ConTeXt conversion... ;)

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: Using ConTeXt for a thesis?
@ 2009-12-20 12:38       ` Manuel P.
From: Manuel P. @ 2009-12-20 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan ha scritto:
>> Some quick examples:
>> - How can I make a double-face document (right page, left page)?
>
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>
>> - How can I separate the footer from the rest of the page with
>> something like an \hairline?
>
> \setupbackgrounds[footer][text][topframe=on]
>
>> - There is an equivalent for ConTeXt of LaTeX's lastpage? I want a
>> footer like this: <page>/<n. of pages>
>
> \lastpage :)
>
> \setupfootertexts[Page \pagenumber\ of \lastpage]
>
> Aditya
Wow, thank you Aditya.

Now it seems to me that I can use ConTeXt without much worries. I've
skimmed a bit of cont-enp.pdf and read that Hans suggest to adjust the
style only after writing the content to obtain a good separation
content/presentation. I like the idea.

* Re: Using ConTeXt for a thesis?
@ 2009-12-20 12:42       ` Manuel P.
From: Manuel P. @ 2009-12-20 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec ha scritto:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 22:10, Manuel P. wrote:
>
>> My requirements are quite easy: something unobtrusive that enable me to
>> focus on the content and obtain a nice and consistent look with a virtually
>> flat leaning curve (I don't mind a bit of learning, but I can't spend days
>> on that). Some pictures, some tables, mainly text. Footnotes, bibliography,
>> quotes and easy personalization of footers and headers.
>>

> Despite the fact that you can get your questions answered here, it
> still makes sense to read (or at least skim through) the two manuals
> (CONTEXT, an excursion and cont-eni.pdf from
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/overview.htm).
>
> Mojca

I've skimmed through the excursion, cont-enp.pdf and contextgarden but I
didn't managed to find \lastpage or \setupbackgrounds. I was trying to
decide between latex ot context and since I need to start writing I
couldn't spend too much time on learning a tool that could have been not
usable in my situation.

I think I'll use context.

Thank you Mojca.

Manuel

* Re: Using ConTeXt for a thesis?
@ 2009-12-20 12:57         ` John Haltiwanger
From: John Haltiwanger @ 2009-12-20 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

ConTeXt is great because there is only one system to learn. As was already
mentioned, it is much more consistent than LaTeX.

One tip is to make sure you are using the electronic version, rather than
the print version, of the ConTeXt manual. Any time you want to accomplish
something, just click index, then click on the page that talks about the
topic you are looking for. Incredible time saver.

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Manuel P. <ayeye.sysforge@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mojca Miklavec ha scritto:
>
>  On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 22:10, Manuel P. wrote:
>>

>>> My requirements are quite easy: something unobtrusive that enable me to
>>> focus on the content and obtain a nice and consistent look with a
>>> virtually
>>> flat leaning curve (I don't mind a bit of learning, but I can't spend
>>> days
>>> on that). Some pictures, some tables, mainly text. Footnotes,
>>> bibliography,
>>> quotes and easy personalization of footers and headers.
>>>

>> Despite the fact that you can get your questions answered here, it
>> still makes sense to read (or at least skim through) the two manuals
>> (CONTEXT, an excursion and cont-eni.pdf from
>> http://www.pragma-ade.com/overview.htm).
>>
>> Mojca
>>

> I've skimmed through the excursion, cont-enp.pdf and contextgarden but I
> didn't managed to find \lastpage or \setupbackgrounds. I was trying to
> decide between latex ot context and since I need to start writing I couldn't
> spend too much time on learning a tool that could have been not usable in my
> situation.
>
> I think I'll use context.
>
> Thank you Mojca.
>
> Manuel

*  \wordright{…} and hyphens
@ 2009-12-20 16:33         ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2009-12-20 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

\wordright{something} don’t like it if the preceding line have a hyphenated word. It seems to work if one changes \allowbreak to hskip\zeropoint in the macro-definition.
Here an example:

\mainlanguage[de]

% \unprotect
% \def\dowordright[#1]%
%   {% don't change
%    \groupedcommand
%      {\removeunwantedspaces
%       \hfill
%       \allowbreak % changed back from \hskip\zeropoint
%       % \hskip\zeropoint % -> solves the problem
%       \strut
%       \hfill
%       \quad % decent spacing
%       \hbox}
%      {\doifelse{#1}\v!right{\kern-\rightskip}{\doifsomething{#1}{\kern-#1}}%
%       \parfillskip\zeropoint
%      %\finalhyphendemerits\zerocount % yes or no
%       \par}}
% \protect

\setupframedtexts
  [width=\dimexpr.65\textwidth,
   offset=none]
\starttext
\startframedtext
  ein Jahr da gewohnt in Rülzheim, waren noch Schwiegereltern dabei..
  \wordright{(S.\,3, Z.\,78–97)}
\stopframedtext

\startframedtext
  wenn du Ro, Mund aufmachst hörst das du nicht da geboren bist (lacht verlegen).
  \wordright{(S.\,4, Z.\,117–121)}
\stopframedtext

\startframedtext
  ein Jahr da gewohnt in Rülzheim, waren noch Schwie- gereltern dabei
  \wordright{(S.\,3, Z.\,78–97)}
\stopframedtext
\stoptext

By the way: I can’t make a minimal example yet but I have a text where the same word appears on one place with ligatures and on another place without. Perhaps this is known …?

Greetings
	Andreas

* Re: Using ConTeXt for a thesis?
@ 2009-12-20 17:12           ` Manuel P.
From: Manuel P. @ 2009-12-20 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Haltiwanger ha scritto:
> ConTeXt is great because there is only one system to learn. As was
> already mentioned, it is much more consistent than LaTeX.
>
> One tip is to make sure you are using the electronic version, rather
> than the print version, of the ConTeXt manual. Any time you want to
> accomplish something, just click index, then click on the page that
> talks about the topic you are looking for. Incredible time saver.
Good point John, thank you. I'll use the electronic version.

* Re: Using ConTeXt for a thesis?
@ 2009-12-20 19:15             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-12-20 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Manuel P. <ayeye.sysforge@gmail.com> wrote:
> John Haltiwanger ha scritto:
>>
>> ConTeXt is great because there is only one system to learn. As was already
>> mentioned, it is much more consistent than LaTeX.

And if you want something extreme
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/columns.pdf

--
luigi

* extra kerning do nothing
@ 2009-12-20 23:08         ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2009-12-20 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

the following used to work:

\definecharacterkerning[negative]
\setupcharacterkerning[negative][factor=-0.125]

\starttext
\input davis \blank
{\setcharacterkerning[extrakerning]\input davis\relax} \blank
{\setcharacterkerning[negative]\input davis\relax}
\stoptext

Is it obsolete? Is there an alternative?

Greetings
	Andreas

* Re: Using ConTeXt for a thesis?
@ 2009-12-21  0:40               ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2009-12-21  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

In addition to the advantages others have mentioned, I have found that
typesetting tables is much easier in Context. I use Natural Tables for
the purpose. It is easy and intuitive to use. I really like the way it
is designed.

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 2:15 PM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Manuel P. <ayeye.sysforge@gmail.com> wrote:
>> John Haltiwanger ha scritto:
>>>
>>> ConTeXt is great because there is only one system to learn. As was already
>>> mentioned, it is much more consistent than LaTeX.
>>>

> And if you want something extreme
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/columns.pdf
>

> --
> luigi

* mode=node and ligatures
@ 2009-12-21 11:28     ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2009-12-21 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi its me again.

If I set mode=node then some ligatures are ignored.

\definefontfeature[default][default][mode=node]
\usetypescript[palatino]
\setupbodyfont[palatino]

\startbuffer
  Begriff, Begriffsbestimmung, Integrationsbegriff, Öffentlichkeit,
  Eröffnung, erhoffte, die Betroffenen, getroffenen, ergriffen,
  auffällig, trifft, hoffen, Aufforderung, Begrifflichkeit.

  Häufig, Wohlbefinden, offiziell, Identifikation, signifikant,
  modifiziert, qualifiziert, offiziell.

  Pflicht, dörflich, höflich, fliegen, pflanzen, Einfluss, pflegen,
  behilflich.
\stopbuffer

\starttext
\startTEXpage[offset=1em]
  \getbuffer
\stopTEXpage
\stoptext

This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.47.0-2009121822
ConTeXt  ver: 2009.12.18 11:12 MKIV  fmt: 2009.12.19

Greetings
	Andreas

* Re: Using ConTeXt for a thesis?
@ 2009-12-21 12:05                 ` Manuel P.
From: Manuel P. @ 2009-12-21 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Il 21/12/2009 1.40, Curiouslearn ha scritto:
> In addition to the advantages others have mentioned, I have found that
> typesetting tables is much easier in Context. I use Natural Tables for
> the purpose. It is easy and intuitive to use. I really like the way it
> is designed.

I've seen this possibility and I like it very much. Another good point.

--
Manuel P.

* Re: extra kerning do nothing
@ 2009-12-21 12:40           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-12-21 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Harder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the following used to work:
>
> \definecharacterkerning[negative]
> \setupcharacterkerning[negative][factor=-0.125]
>
> \starttext
> \input davis \blank
> {\setcharacterkerning[extrakerning]\input davis\relax} \blank
> {\setcharacterkerning[negative]\input davis\relax}
> \stoptext
>
> Is it obsolete? Is there an alternative?

patch this:

\def\setcharacterkerning
   {\ctxlua{kerns.enable()}%
    \gdef\setcharacterkerning[##1]%
      {\dosetattribute{kern}{\csname\??ck:##1\endcsname}}%
    \setcharacterkerning}

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: extra kerning do nothing
@ 2009-12-21 13:21             ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2009-12-21 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 21.12.2009 um 13:40 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Andreas Harder wrote:
>> Hi,
>> the following used to work:
>> \definecharacterkerning[negative]
>> \setupcharacterkerning[negative][factor=-0.125] \starttext
>> \input davis \blank
>> {\setcharacterkerning[extrakerning]\input davis\relax} \blank
>> {\setcharacterkerning[negative]\input davis\relax}
>> \stoptext
>> Is it obsolete? Is there an alternative?
>
> patch this:
>
> \def\setcharacterkerning
>  {\ctxlua{kerns.enable()}%
>   \gdef\setcharacterkerning[##1]%
>     {\dosetattribute{kern}{\csname\??ck:##1\endcsname}}%
>   \setcharacterkerning}

Thank you Hans.

I’ve changed it in typo-krn.mkiv but unfortunately the result is still the same.

Greetings,
	Andreas

* Re: extra kerning do nothing
@ 2009-12-21 15:55               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-12-21 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Harder wrote:
> Am 21.12.2009 um 13:40 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> Andreas Harder wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> the following used to work:
>>> \definecharacterkerning[negative]
>>> \setupcharacterkerning[negative][factor=-0.125] \starttext
>>> \input davis \blank
>>> {\setcharacterkerning[extrakerning]\input davis\relax} \blank
>>> {\setcharacterkerning[negative]\input davis\relax}
>>> \stoptext
>>> Is it obsolete? Is there an alternative?
>> patch this:
>>
>> \def\setcharacterkerning
>>  {\ctxlua{kerns.enable()}%
>>   \gdef\setcharacterkerning[##1]%
>>     {\dosetattribute{kern}{\csname\??ck:##1\endcsname}}%
>>   \setcharacterkerning}
>

> Thank you Hans.
>
> I’ve changed it in typo-krn.mkiv but unfortunately the result is still the same.

did you remake the format?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: extra kerning do nothing
@ 2009-12-21 16:23                 ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2009-12-21 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 21.12.2009 um 16:55 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Andreas Harder wrote:
>>> patch this:
>>>
>>> \def\setcharacterkerning
>>> {\ctxlua{kerns.enable()}%
>>>  \gdef\setcharacterkerning[##1]%
>>>    {\dosetattribute{kern}{\csname\??ck:##1\endcsname}}%
>>>  \setcharacterkerning}
>> Thank you Hans.
>> I’ve changed it in typo-krn.mkiv but unfortunately the result is still the same.
>
> did you remake the format?

Is this necessary? I did now, but no change …

	Andreas

* Re: extra kerning do nothing
@ 2009-12-21 16:34                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-12-21 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Harder wrote:
> Am 21.12.2009 um 16:55 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> Andreas Harder wrote:

>>> Thank you Hans.
>>> I’ve changed it in typo-krn.mkiv but unfortunately the result is still the same.
>> did you remake the format?
>
> Is this necessary? I did now, but no change …

then you have to wait till the next beta ...

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: extra kerning do nothing
@ 2009-12-21 16:49                     ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2009-12-21 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 21.12.2009 um 17:34 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Andreas Harder wrote:

>>> did you remake the format?
>> Is this necessary? I did now, but no change …
>
> then you have to wait till the next beta …

Okay, thanks! It’s not urgent.

May I ask for the ligatures problem (my other post). Can you provide a patch or do I have to wait till the next beta?

Greetings,
	Andreas

* Re: extra kerning do nothing
@ 2009-12-21 17:01                       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-12-21 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Harder wrote:
> Am 21.12.2009 um 17:34 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> Andreas Harder wrote:

>>> Is this necessary? I did now, but no change …
>> then you have to wait till the next beta …
>
> Okay, thanks! It’s not urgent.
>
> May I ask for the ligatures problem (my other post). Can you provide a patch or do I have to wait till the next beta?

i didn't check it but maybe it's script/language dependent

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE