* Footnotes
@ 2008-07-20  7:54 Ulrich Dirr
From: Ulrich Dirr @ 2008-07-20  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm recently testing mkiv/luatex (ConTeXt ver: 2008.07.18 18:38 MKIV fmt:
2008.7.19 installed; compiling with 'context file') for a new project. I
don't know if my questions depend on mkii or mkiv specifics.

I have some problems figuring out what kind of parameters I can use to setup
footnotes in a multicolumn layout (is it better to use column sets and
define areas?).

When I'm using location=lastcolumn then footnotes get placed in the last
column *inside* the text column while when using firstcolumn as an option
they will be placed below the first column but outside the text column at
the end of the page. And both columns don't get balanced.

How can I get two text columns balanced and footnotes place on the last
column at the end of the page?

-
To illustrate what I want (x=text, m=footnote text):

A) If the page is 'full'

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  1. nnnnnnnnnnn
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  2. nnnnnnnnnnn
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  nnnnnnnnnnnnnn

B) If the page is only partially filled:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                1. nnnnnnnnnnn
                2. nnnnnnnnnnn
                nnnnnnnnnnnnnn
-

How can I get footnote numbers aligned with the left margin of the
text/column block (margindistance=0em doesn't help)? Footnotes should run as
a 'normal' paragraph (no hanging).

I'm also quiet lost what options I can set with \setupfootnotes, because
they are not explained in the manual (ma-cb-en-print.pdf, p. 46;
cont-eni.pdf, p. 101) ...

My test file looks like this:
\setuplayout[grid=yes]
\setupbodyfont [9pt]
\setupfootnotes[location=lastcolumn,rule=off,numbercommand=\myfootnotenumber
]
\def\myfootnotenumber#1{#1. }

\starttext
\startcolumns[n=2,tolerance=verytolerant]

Hasselt is an old Hanseatic City, situated 12~km north of Zwolle at
the river Zwartewater.

The city has a long history since obtaining the city charter around
1252. Part and parcel of this history can be traced back to a large
number of monuments to be admired in the city center.\footnote{Erste
Fußnote!}

There you will find the St. Stephanus church, a late gothic church
dating back to 1479 with a magnificent organ. The former Municipal
Building is situated on The Market Place. Constituted between
1500\footnote{Zweite Fußnote! Die kommt immer nach der ersten Fußnote und
ist manchmal viel zu lang.}

Hello World!

\stopcolumns
\stoptext

Best regards,
Ulrich

P.S. the notepad++/context support seems broken with notepad++ v.5.00. I got
TeX as a language but no menu entries for compiling ...

* Re: Footnotes
@ 2008-07-20 17:50 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-20 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ulrich,

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008, Ulrich Dirr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm recently testing mkiv/luatex (ConTeXt ver: 2008.07.18 18:38 MKIV fmt:
> 2008.7.19 installed; compiling with 'context file') for a new project. I
> don't know if my questions depend on mkii or mkiv specifics.
>
> I have some problems figuring out what kind of parameters I can use to setup
> footnotes in a multicolumn layout (is it better to use column sets and
> define areas?).
>
> When I'm using location=lastcolumn then footnotes get placed in the last
> column *inside* the text column while when using firstcolumn as an option
> they will be placed below the first column but outside the text column at
> the end of the page. And both columns don't get balanced.
>
> How can I get two text columns balanced and footnotes place on the last
> column at the end of the page?

Don't know. AFAIU, (simple) columns do not support this feature. For this
to be supported, \stopcolumns will also need to end the currentpage. What
should be the indented output for

\startcolumns
Some short text with footnotes
\stopcolumns

Continue with text that is in single column format.

I do not know whether this is possible with columnsets.

> How can I get footnote numbers aligned with the left margin of the
> text/column block (margindistance=0em doesn't help)? Footnotes should run as
> a 'normal' paragraph (no hanging).

Add

\setupfootnotedefinition[location=normal,distance=0.5em]

> I'm also quiet lost what options I can set with \setupfootnotes, because
> they are not explained in the manual (ma-cb-en-print.pdf, p. 46;
> cont-eni.pdf, p. 101) ...

Yes, at places the documentation is lagging behind. I can write about
footnotes in the TUGBoat column about ConTeXt.

When the manual is inadequate, I look at the sources. Once you figure out
how to scan them for information, they are easy to understand. In this
case, core-not.tex says that the options of \setupfootnotes are

      [\c!location=\v!page,
       \c!way=\v!by\v!part,
       \c!sectionnumber=\v!no,
       \c!conversion=,
       \c!rule=\v!on,
       \c!before=\blank,
       \c!bodyfont=\v!small,
       \c!style=,
       \c!color=,
       \c!after=,
       \c!rulecolor=,
       \c!rulethickness=\linewidth,
       \c!frame=\v!off,
       \c!margindistance=.5em,
       \c!columndistance=1em,
       \c!distance=.125em,
       \c!align=\v!normal,
       \c!tolerance=\v!tolerant,
       \c!split=\v!tolerant,
      %\c!width=\makeupwidth,
      %\c!width=\ifdim\hsize<\makeupwidth\hsize\else\makeupwidth\fi,
       \c!width=\defaultnotewidth,
       \c!height=\textheight,
       \c!numbercommand=\high,
       \c!command=\noteparameter\c!numbercommand, % downward compatible
       \c!separator=\@@koseparator,
       \c!textcommand=\high,
       \c!textstyle=\tx,
       \c!textcolor=,
       \c!interaction=\v!yes,
       \c!factor=,
       \c!scope=, % \v!text \v!page
       \c!n=1]%

Aditya

* Re: Footnotes
@ 2008-07-21  7:09   ` Ulrich Dirr
From: Ulrich Dirr @ 2008-07-21  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Aditya,

thank you for your help!

On 2008-07-20 Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008, Ulrich Dirr wrote:
>> I'm recently testing mkiv/luatex (ConTeXt ver: 2008.07.18 18:38 MKIV fmt:
>> 2008.7.19 installed; compiling with 'context file') for a new project.
>> I don't know if my questions depend on mkii or mkiv specifics.
>>
>> I have some problems figuring out what kind of parameters I can use
>> to setup footnotes in a multicolumn layout (is it better to use
>> column sets and define areas?).
>>
>> When I'm using location=lastcolumn then footnotes get placed in the
>> last column *inside* the text column while when using firstcolumn as
>> an option they will be placed below the first column but outside the
>> text column at the end of the page. And both columns don't get balanced.
>>
>> How can I get two text columns balanced and footnotes place on the
>> last column at the end of the page?
[...]
> I do not know whether this is possible with columnsets.

I will test this with columnsets.

>> How can I get footnote numbers aligned with the left margin of the
>> text/column block (margindistance=0em doesn't help)? Footnotes
>> should run as a 'normal' paragraph (no hanging).
>
> Add
>
> \setupfootnotedefinition[location=normal,distance=0.5em]

Ah, interesting. I didn't find this option for location in the docs.

>> I'm also quiet lost what options I can set with \setupfootnotes,
>> because they are not explained in the manual (ma-cb-en-print.pdf, p.
>> 46; cont-eni.pdf, p. 101) ...
>
> Yes, at places the documentation is lagging behind. I can write about
> footnotes in the TUGBoat column about ConTeXt.
>
> When the manual is inadequate, I look at the sources. Once you figure
> out how to scan them for information, they are easy to understand. In
> this case, core-not.tex says that the options of \setupfootnotes are
>
>       [\c!location=\v!page,
>        \c!way=\v!by\v!part,
>        \c!sectionnumber=\v!no,
>        \c!conversion=,
>        \c!rule=\v!on,
>        \c!before=\blank,
>        \c!bodyfont=\v!small,
>        \c!style=,
>        \c!color=,
>        \c!after=,
>        \c!rulecolor=,
>        \c!rulethickness=\linewidth,
>        \c!frame=\v!off,
>        \c!margindistance=.5em,
>        \c!columndistance=1em,
>        \c!distance=.125em,
>        \c!align=\v!normal,
>        \c!tolerance=\v!tolerant,
>        \c!split=\v!tolerant,
>       %\c!width=\makeupwidth,
>       %\c!width=\ifdim\hsize<\makeupwidth\hsize\else\makeupwidth\fi,
>        \c!width=\defaultnotewidth, \c!height=\textheight,
>        \c!numbercommand=\high,
>        \c!command=\noteparameter\c!numbercommand, % downward compatible
>        \c!separator=\@@koseparator, \c!textcommand=\high,
>        \c!textstyle=\tx, \c!textcolor=, \c!interaction=\v!yes,
>        \c!factor=, \c!scope=, % \v!text \v!page \c!n=1]%
>

> Aditya

O.k. I could look in the source too, but where did you read
'location=normal'? Also I don't know what other option are allowed, e.g., in
\numbercommand or \split. Only the default values are here as I understand.

Anyway. How can I get that footnotes just flows as a standard paragraph (no
hanging indentation)?

Best regards,
Ulrich

* How to read sources? (was:) Footnotes
@ 2008-07-21 11:28   ` Joachim Kreimer-de Fries
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Joachim Kreimer-de Fries @ 2008-07-21 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Goden Dag,
although my primary field of ConTeXt questions is marginal notes, I
use to read the "footnote" threads on NTG-context with curiousness as
well .

Am 20.07.2008 um 19:50 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
> When the manual is inadequate, I look at the sources.

=> Which sorces, wich directory and kind of files are meant, if one
says "look at the source", where do I find them? (On my TeX-life
distribution on Mac OSX 10.4x Tiger with actualized ConTeXt I didn't
find the later mentioned "core-not.tex")

> Once you figure out how to scan them for information,

=> Could one comunicate "how to scan them for infomation" or must
that stay a secret?

> they are easy to understand.
[I repeat: "easy to understand"!]

> In this case, core-not.tex says that the options of \setupfootnotes
> are
>
>       [\c!location=\v!page,
>        \c!way=\v!by\v!part,
>        \c!sectionnumber=\v!no,
>        \c!conversion=,
>        \c!rule=\v!on,
[etc. and so on...]

Nothing of this and the following code lines I can understand, so it
is not "easy" - albeit that one knows the syntax and meanings of
these commands.

=> Where can I find an explanation of this, not to write this kind of
code myself but to understand off it, which kind of commands I can
use with footnotes (in this case)?

Ulrich Dirr, who had posed the question about his kind of footnotes
asked back 21.07.2008 at 09:09:
> O.k. I could look in the source too, but where did you read
> 'location=normal'? Also I don't know what other option are allowed,
> e.g., in
> \numbercommand or \split. Only the default values are here as I
> understand.

I support this question (only that I don't know how to look in the
sorce yet...)

Goutgaun!
Joachim Kreimer-de Fries,
simpel user and beginner in ConTeXt
P. S.
An OT-question besides: does anyone know an file manager program
instead of the mac Finder, which allows me to find files in the
hidden directories of Mac-OSX in a GUI way instead of unix terminal
commands "cd", "ls" and "find"?

* Re: How to read sources?
@ 2008-07-21 12:01     ` Jörg Hagmann
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2008-07-21 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joachim Kreimer-de Fries wrote:

> P. S.
> An OT-question besides: does anyone know an file manager program
> instead of the mac Finder, which allows me to find files in the hidden
> directories of Mac-OSX in a GUI way instead of unix terminal commands
> "cd", "ls" and "find"
you can type "open /path/to/the directory you want/" in your terminal,
and then use the finder with the previously hidden dirs.

Cheers, Jörg

* Re: How to read sources? (was:) Footnotes
@ 2008-07-21 12:02     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-07-21 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 21, 2008, at 1:28 PM, Joachim Kreimer-de Fries wrote:

> => Which sorces, wich directory and kind of files are meant, if one
> says "look at the source", where do I find them? (On my TeX-life
> distribution on Mac OSX 10.4x Tiger with actualized ConTeXt I didn't
> find the later mentioned "core-not.tex")

It is part of any ConTeXt installation. In a terminal window, type

kpsewhere core-not.tex

and you'll see that you have at least one instance of this file on
your system. "man kpsewhich" may be interesting to read if you want to
know how to find files in your TeX installation, possibly more than one.

>> Once you figure out how to scan them for information,
>
> => Could one comunicate "how to scan them for infomation" or must
> that stay a secret?

You could grep for terms that you're looking for:

grep setupfootnotes /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/*

> An OT-question besides: does anyone know an file manager program
> instead of the mac Finder, which allows me to find files in the
> hidden directories of Mac-OSX in a GUI way instead of unix terminal
> commands "cd", "ls" and "find"?

We had an interesting discussion about GUI and command line recently.
I rest my case: you shouldn't be looking for a GUI tool, but learn to
use the command line. By the way, there is n option to make the Mac
Finder display hidden directories, but to enable it, you'll have to
use the command line...

Thomas

* Re: How to read sources?
@ 2008-07-21 12:03       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-21 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> wrote:

> Joachim Kreimer-de Fries wrote:
>>
>> P. S.
>> An OT-question besides: does anyone know an file manager program
>> instead of the mac Finder, which allows me to find files in the hidden
>> directories of Mac-OSX in a GUI way instead of unix terminal commands
>> "cd", "ls" and "find"
> you can type "open /path/to/the directory you want/" in your terminal,
> and then use the finder with the previously hidden dirs.

Finder -> Go -> Goto

Wolfgang

* Re: How to read sources?
@ 2008-07-21 12:09         ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2008-07-21 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Finder -> Go -> Goto

Yes, if you know where to go:

Open the Terminal and type

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

relaunch the Finder and you can see everything
(and back with NO and relaunch)

Best

-a-

> Wolfgang
> ntg-context
> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
> _____________

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> http://www.myspace.com/andreavalle
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

"
Think of it as seasoning
. noise [salt] is boring
. F(blah) [food without salt] can be boring
. F(noise, blah) can be really tasty
"
(Ken Perlin on noise)

* Re: How to read sources? (was:) Footnotes
@ 2008-07-21 12:13     ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2008-07-21 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> => Could one comunicate "how to scan them for infomation" or must
> that stay a secret?
>
>> they are easy to understand.
> [I repeat: "easy to understand"!]

I totally agree with you, it's really useless to invite to read the
sources without providing a tutorial on source reading for non expert
TeX users.

> Ulrich Dirr, who had posed the question about his kind of footnotes
> asked back 21.07.2008 at 09:09:
>> O.k. I could look in the source too, but where did you read
>> 'location=normal'? Also I don't know what other option are
>> allowed, e.g., in
>> \numbercommand or \split. Only the default values are here as I
>> understand.
>
> I support this question (only that I don't know how to look in the
> sorce yet...)

Me too

Best

-a-

@ 2008-07-21 16:39     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-21 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Ulrich Dirr wrote:

> O.k. I could look in the source too, but where did you read
> 'location=normal'?

That is just from knowing how the footnotes work. In ConTeXt footnotes
consist of two this, a number and the note definition. The note definition
is defined as a description, location=normal is an option for
descriptions.

>  Also I don't know what other option are allowed, e.g., in
> \numbercommand or \split. Only the default values are here as I understand.

numbercommand can be any predefined (or one that you define on your
own) ConTeXt macro. By default, it is \inleft, and hence you see the
footnotes in the margin. I do not know what split does, but just by seeing
that by default it is defined to be tolerant, the other options should be
verystrict, strict, tolerant, verytolerant, and they should control how
the splitting of columns work.

This is the good thing about ConTeXt; key value options are extremently
consistent, once you know what values a particular key takes for one
environment, you can guess what it will do for others (well, I could be
wrong in case of footnotes, but ...)

> Anyway. How can I get that footnotes just flows as a standard paragraph (no
> hanging indentation)?

\setupfootnotedefinition[location=serried, distance=0.5em]

Aditya

* Re: How to read sources? (was:) Footnotes
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-07-21 16:59     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-21 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Joachim Kreimer-de Fries wrote:

> Goden Dag,
> although my primary field of ConTeXt questions is marginal notes, I use to
> read the "footnote" threads on NTG-context with curiousness as well .
>
> Am 20.07.2008 um 19:50 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>> When the manual is inadequate, I look at the sources.
>
> => Which sorces, wich directory and kind of files are meant, if one says
> "look at the source", where do I find them? (On my TeX-life distribution on
> Mac OSX 10.4x Tiger with actualized ConTeXt I didn't find the later mentioned
> "core-not.tex")

I do not know how the file explorer in Mac works. And I do not know where
a typical installation installs context in Mac. Suppose it is installed in
/usr/local/texlive/2007.

The all the context files will be in

/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/context/base

Basically, INSTALL-LOCATION/texmf or INTSTALL-LOCATION/texmf-dist or
INSTALL-LOCATION/texmf-context and then tex/context/base directory inside
it.

>> Once you figure out how to scan them for information,
>
> => Could one comunicate "how to scan them for infomation" or must that stay a
> secret?

The basic idea is to first understand how a particular command is defined.
Here is what I do: go to tex/context/base directory and search (by any
means, I use grep, but you can as well use any program that allows you to
search inside files) for the command you are looking for: in this case
footnote. You may either get a huge number of results, or a few results.
If you get a few results, check them manually, to see which file defines a
command. A command is usually defined as

\def\commandname

or (rarely)

\edef\commandname

\xdef\commandname

\gdef\commandname

or (more frequently)

\define<something>[\v!commandname]

here <something> can be any text.

If your search gives a lot of results, you need to use a regular
expression to filter it to one of the above. I don't know if Finder in Mac
allows for regular expressions.

>> they are easy to understand.
> [I repeat: "easy to understand"!]

I know what you mean here :)

>> In this case, core-not.tex says that the options of \setupfootnotes are
>>
>>      [\c!location=\v!page,
>>       \c!way=\v!by\v!part,
>>       \c!sectionnumber=\v!no,
>>       \c!conversion=,
>>       \c!rule=\v!on,
> [etc. and so on...]
>
> Nothing of this and the following code lines I can understand, so it is not
> "easy" - albeit that one knows the syntax and meanings of these commands.

As far as syntax goes, just ignore those funny \c! \v! thingies. Then you
can read them as
         [location=page,
          way=bypart,
          sectionnumber=no,
          conversion=,
          rule=on,
        [etc..]

These mean, that

i) Footnotes should be located per page.

ii) They should be numbered per part. That is, if you start a new part,
footnote numbering restarts.

iii) I don't know what sectionnumber does, so I ignore it.

iv) The number should not be converted to anything. You can convert them
to characters, Characters, romannumerals, Romannumberals, etc.

v) The footnotes should be proceeded by a rule, etc.

You see, most of the keys for all environments take command key-value
options. If they are explained in the manual, then great; if they are not,
start guessing what they mean, and experiment if you get the right
result. Try three times, and if you don't get hit the right answer, ask on
the mailing list. Hopefully, someone will reply. Then you know, what a
particular option does for *all environments*. If you don't get an answer,
well... then ask what you want to achieve, and hopefully someone will tell
you if it is possible or not.

> => Where can I find an explanation of this, not to write this kind of code
> myself but to understand off it, which kind of commands I can use with
> footnotes (in this case)?

I explained above how I started to understand these things. I am sure that
other people have different approaches. I do not understand how TeX works,
but reading ConTeXt sources are much easier than reading latex sources. I
started with LaTeX, and in LaTeX I could never manage to understand 80% of
the what was written in the sources. In ConTeXt, I can understand 50-60%,
that is what I meant my "easy".

Aditya

* Re: Footnotes
@ 2008-07-21 17:25       ` Ulrich Dirr
From: Ulrich Dirr @ 2008-07-21 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Aditya,

Thank you very much for your explanations. Where in the documentation did
you find 'serried'? I think my biggest problem is that I don't know which
values are possible options and what's the meaning (this should be in the
docs I think).

Best regards,
Ulrich

On 2008-07-21 Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Ulrich Dirr wrote:
>
>> O.k. I could look in the source too, but where did you read
>> 'location=normal'?
>
> That is just from knowing how the footnotes work. In ConTeXt footnotes
> consist of two this, a number and the note definition. The note
> definition is defined as a description, location=normal is an option for
descriptions.

>>  Also I don't know what other option are allowed, e.g., in
>> \numbercommand or \split. Only the default values are here as I
> understand.
>
> numbercommand can be any predefined (or one that you define on your
> own) ConTeXt macro. By default, it is \inleft, and hence you see the
> footnotes in the margin. I do not know what split does, but just by
> seeing that by default it is defined to be tolerant, the other options
> should be verystrict, strict, tolerant, verytolerant, and they should
> control how the splitting of columns work.
>
> This is the good thing about ConTeXt; key value options are
> extremently consistent, once you know what values a particular key
> takes for one environment, you can guess what it will do for others
> (well, I could be wrong in case of footnotes, but ...)
>
>> Anyway. How can I get that footnotes just flows as a standard
>> paragraph (no hanging indentation)?
>
> \setupfootnotedefinition[location=serried, distance=0.5em]
>
> Aditya

* Re: Footnotes
@ 2008-07-21 20:58         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-21 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Ulrich Dirr wrote:

> Hi Aditya,
>
> Thank you very much for your explanations. Where in the documentation did
> you find 'serried'?

serried is in the documentation for desciprtions. texshow also lists
serried as one of the options for descriptions. I know the options for
descriptions and enumerations very well because I spent about three months
in extending enumerations for taking care of theorems and stuff.

> I think my biggest problem is that I don't know which
> values are possible options and what's the meaning (this should be in the
> docs I think).

Most old options are in the docs, many of the new ones are not. The manual
can never be uptodate with the rate at which ConTeXt is developing, but we
definitely need to work at specialized manuals which describe one of the
features of ConTeXt in great detail.

Aditya

* Re: footnotes
@ 2012-04-24 13:26   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2012-04-24 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:21:36 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 24.04.2012 um 10:56 schrieb Alan BRASLAU:
>
> > 1. way=bypage does not seem to work
> >
> > \setupnote[footnote][way=bypage,numberconversion=set 2]
> > \starttext
> > \input{tufte}\footnote{Note.}
> > \page
> > \input{dawkins}\footnote{Another note.}
> > \stoptext
>
> Counter settings are applied with the \setupnotation command.

So, this is a treasure hunt!

I tried
\setupnotation[footnote][way=bypage,numberconversion=set 2]
and this works, (I just corrected the wiki)

sort-of:
If one manages to get a footnote reference at the bottom of a page,
where there is no room to place the footnote, and there is at least one
footnote reference on the following page, this results in two successive
footnotes having the same reference number (or symbol)!
This is a bug.

What about \startfootnote \stopfootnote and \autoinsertnextspace ?

Alan

* Re: footnotes
@ 2012-04-24 12:21 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-04-24 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 24.04.2012 um 10:56 schrieb Alan BRASLAU:

> Hello,
>
> Footnotes are (still?) undergoing development in mkiv.
> I have several issues:
>
> 1. way=bypage does not seem to work
>
> \setupnote[footnote][way=bypage,numberconversion=set 2]
> \starttext
> \input{tufte}\footnote{Note.}
> \page
> \input{dawkins}\footnote{Another note.}
> \stoptext

Counter settings are applied with the \setupnotation command.

> (I do not find numberconversion in strc-not.mkvi;
> nevertheless, numbered footnotes do not get reset
> on each page.)

Footnotes use a internal version of \setupcounter for the counter setups.

Wolfgang

* footnotes
@ 2012-04-24  8:56 Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2012-04-24  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Footnotes are (still?) undergoing development in mkiv.
I have several issues:

1. way=bypage does not seem to work

\setupnote[footnote][way=bypage,numberconversion=set 2]
\starttext
\input{tufte}\footnote{Note.}
\page
\input{dawkins}\footnote{Another note.}
\stoptext

(I do not find numberconversion in strc-not.mkvi;
nevertheless, numbered footnotes do not get reset
on each page.)

2. next=\autoinsertnextspace still does not work

\setupnote[footnote][next=\autoinsertnextspace]
\starttext
Subject%
\startfootnote
Note.
\stopfootnote
verb.
\stoptext

(Note, however, that

\starttext
Subject\footnote{Note.}
verb.
\stoptext

does not exhibit this problem, as the space does not get eaten!)

Alan

* Re: footnotes
@ 2012-04-02 20:40 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-04-02 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.04.2012 um 23:03 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:

> hi all,
>
> would a kind soul please enlighten me about the new footnote commands? I can't find a way to achieve what I was able to achieve in older versions. The following code is on the wiki. It is supposed to give us the footnote marker aligned with the text area, then some blank space, then the footnote text:
>
> \definepapersize[wiki][width=8cm,height=8cm]
>
> \setuppapersize[wiki][wiki]
>
> \starttext
>
> \showframe
>
> \setupnote[footnote][margindistance=0em,command=\myfootnotecommand]
> \setupnotation[footnote][location=left,hang=1]
>
> \def\myfootnotecommand#1{\hbox to 1.5em{#1.}}
>
> test \footnote{test}
>
> \stoptext

\setupnotation
  [footnote]
  [  alternative=left,
            hang=1,
   numbercommand={\simplealignedbox{1.5em}{flushleft}},
         stopper={.}]

\starttext \showframe

test \footnote{\input ward }

\stoptext

> It doesn't work with the current beta, and I' completely lost about
> \setupnote[footnote]

WIth \setupnote you can control the layout of the note block, e.g. to use columns or to change the rule.

> \setupnotation[footnote]

With \setupnotation you can control the layout of the footnote entry, it uses the same code as enumerations/descriptions and provides the same keys.

> \setupfootnotes

\setupfootnotes == \setupnote[footnote]

Wolfgang

* Re: footnotes
@ 2012-04-02 11:02   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2012-04-02 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/2/12 12:26 PM, Steffen Fritzsche wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> this is what I use with the latest beta:
>
> \setupnotation[footnote][
>    alternative=,
>    width=2.5em,
>    numbercommand={\setupinterlinespace[line=14pt]\ss\normal},
>    style={\setupinterlinespace[line=14pt]}]
>
> Maybe this comes close to what you try to achieve at least it should be possible to adjust this command to your needs.
>
> Steffen

Hi Steffen,

it is a first step, thank you. But the main point is the hanging
indentation, and I still can't find a way to achieve this...

Thomas

* Re: footnotes
@ 2012-04-02 10:26 ` Steffen Fritzsche
From: Steffen Fritzsche @ 2012-04-02 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

this is what I use with the latest beta:

\setupnotation[footnote][
  alternative=,
  width=2.5em,
  numbercommand={\setupinterlinespace[line=14pt]\ss\normal},
  style={\setupinterlinespace[line=14pt]}]

Maybe this comes close to what you try to achieve at least it should be possible to adjust this command to your needs.

Steffen

Am 01.04.2012 um 23:03 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:

> hi all,
>
> would a kind soul please enlighten me about the new footnote commands? I can't find a way to achieve what I was able to achieve in older versions. The following code is on the wiki. It is supposed to give us the footnote marker aligned with the text area, then some blank space, then the footnote text:
>
> \definepapersize[wiki][width=8cm,height=8cm]
>
> \setuppapersize[wiki][wiki]
>
> \starttext
>
> \showframe
>
> \setupnote[footnote][margindistance=0em,command=\myfootnotecommand]
> \setupnotation[footnote][location=left,hang=1]
>
> \def\myfootnotecommand#1{\hbox to 1.5em{#1.}}
>
> test \footnote{test}
>
> \stoptext
>
> It doesn't work with the current beta, and I' completely lost about
> \setupnote[footnote]
> \setupnotation[footnote]
> \setupfootnotes
>
> What is doing what now?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Thomas

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

* footnotes
@ 2012-04-01 21:03 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2012-04-01 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2012-03-12 16:50 Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2012-03-12 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG-Context ConTeXt users

Hi all,

I try to make-up an old book...

Due to the fact that it is a scientific text there are footnotes: about 70

I have them all in buffers. However when saying \footnote{\getbuffer[1]} I get an ugly new line in the footnote at the bottom of the page. - How to prevent this unnecessary hard-return?

Secondly there is a problem with the numbering when the footnote is called from a tabulate-environment. In place of  starting with 1 it starts with 2. The most strange thing is, that in case of two footnotes in tabulate the numbering even starts with 3.

I need to refer to the reference of footnotes. So if the first footnote is \footnote[1]{\getbuffer[1]} I say \note[1] where it is needed. However I get the double questionmark for a missing reference.

I would be happy to finalize this book, but ...

Willi

[-- Attachment #2: test-footnote.tex --]

% Context file
% Filename: test-footnote.tex
%
% 12-03-2012
% Copyright (c) 2012 BOEDE. All rights reserved.
%
% \nopdfcompression
% \enabletrackers[context.trace]
% \enabletrackers[system.jobfiles]

\startbuffer[1]
This is a footnote
\stopbuffer

\startbuffer[2]
This is a another footnote
\stopbuffer

\starttext

\starttabulate[|lw(2cm)|p|]
\NC Fig. 5.  \NC Meloë variegatus, Donovan. [weiblich]\footnote[1]{\getbuffer[1]} \NC\NR
\NC Fig. 6.  \NC Meloë Proscarabaeus, Linné. \footnote{\getbuffer[2]} \NC\NR
\stoptabulate

Hello World \footnote{\getbuffer[1]}
\blank
Hello World\footnote{This is also a footnote}
\blank
Hello Wordl I refer to \note[1].

\stoptext

* Re: footnotes
@ 2010-12-12 13:41 ` Achim Jander
From: Achim Jander @ 2010-12-12 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,
it seems that i found the solution for problem 3:
\setupnote
[footnote][paragraph=yes,numbercommand=,inbetween=\hskip.5em\vl\hskip.5em]

\setupdescriptions[footnote][display=no,location=serried,distance=.5em]

at least the first tests seem to work like a charm...

Greetings,
Achim

* footnotes
@ 2010-12-12 11:09 Achim Jander
From: Achim Jander @ 2010-12-12 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2009-10-13 17:44   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-10-13 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.10.2009 um 19:20 schrieb Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini:

> Hallo,
>
> I am a little pressed on time. So I need a solution or a workaround
> for the following two problems I have posted recently:
>
> 1.------------------------------------------------------
>>> \midaligned{Zack\footnote{Zwei}}

\midaligned{Zack\postponenotes\footnote{Zwei}}

> 2.-------------------------------------------------------
> I want some space on the left of \start\stoptables.
> What I get is SOME space, but not that what I wanted!
>
> \starttables[|l|]

\starttables[o0|i(3cm)l|]

> Where is that little space from?

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Table -> 'i' and 'o' keys

Wolfgang

* Re: footnotes
       [not found] <mailman.1.1254823203.32637.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-10-13 17:20 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2009-10-13 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6 Oct 2009 at 12:00, ntg-context-request@ntg.nl wrote:

Hallo,

I am a little pressed on time. So I need a solution or a workaround
for the following two problems I have posted recently:

1.------------------------------------------------------
> > please look at the following example:
> >
> > \starttext
> > {\tfx Bla\footnote{Eins}}
> >
> > \midaligned{Zack\footnote{Zwei}}
> >
> > Blub\footnote{Drei}
> > \stoptext
> >
> > The second footnote is missing

2.-------------------------------------------------------
I want some space on the left of \start\stoptables.
What I get is SOME space, but not that what I wanted!

---------------------------
\starttext
vorher
\setupnarrower[left=3cm]
\startnarrower[left]
\starttables[|l|]
\NC hmm \NC\MR
\stoptables
\stopnarrower
nachher
\stoptext
---------------------------

Where is that little space from?
How can I get a left space of, say 3cm?

Thank you,

Wolfgang

* Re: footnotes
@ 2009-10-06  9:36 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-10-06  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> please look at the following example:
>
> \starttext
> {\tfx Bla\footnote{Eins}}
>
> \midaligned{Zack\footnote{Zwei}}
>
> Blub\footnote{Drei}
> \stoptext
>
> The second footnote is missing

verified (both mkii and mkiv)

> and the numbersize of the first is
> smaller than the third.

I am not sure about that, I do did not notice a difference
(2009.09.28 09:02, MKII && MKIV).

Best wishes,
Taco

* footnotes
@ 2009-10-05 14:53 Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2009-10-05 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hallo,

please look at the following example:

\starttext
{\tfx Bla\footnote{Eins}}

\midaligned{Zack\footnote{Zwei}}

Blub\footnote{Drei}
\stoptext

The second footnote is missing and the numbersize of the first is
smaller than the third.

I use ConTeXt  ver: 2009.06.14 21:01.

Wolfgang

* Re: footnotes
@ 2006-01-30 15:45     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-30 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> A small sample file is difficult because I had the impression it did
> not always happen; with me these things seem to happen mostly with
> big files :-)
> Another complication is that sometimes a footnote was withheld and I
> could not find out what caused it.
> When I retyped "sentence.\footnote" sometimes the footnote did appear
> as it should.

that has to do with the fact that tex has to find an optimum

you can play with the 'split' parameter and set it to tolerant, strict,
verystrict

> I sent the problem to this newsgroup just in case it was a readily
> recognized phenomenon.
> It seems not, so I propose to let it go for the moment.
> I will watch out for it to happen and then will first try to nail it
> down to a small sample before reporting again.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: footnotes
@ 2006-01-30 14:41   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2006-01-30 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

A small sample file is difficult because I had the impression it did
not always happen; with me these things seem to happen mostly with
big files :-)
Another complication is that sometimes a footnote was withheld and I
could not find out what caused it.
When I retyped "sentence.\footnote" sometimes the footnote did appear
as it should.

I sent the problem to this newsgroup just in case it was a readily
recognized phenomenon.
It seems not, so I propose to let it go for the moment.
I will watch out for it to happen and then will first try to nail it
down to a small sample before reporting again.

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer

On Jan 30, 2006, at 11:49, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hans van der Meer wrote:
>> At the end of the text (or chapter) the last batch of footnotes is
>> not always placed, not even when an index follows.
>> They must be forced with \placefootnotes.
>> It happened both with footnotes bytext and bychapter.
>>
>> Is this the normal behaviour? Must I end (for footnotes bychapter)
>> each chapter with \placefootnotes?
>>
> can you make me a small example file?
>
> Hans

* Re: footnotes
@ 2006-01-30 10:49 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-30 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> At the end of the text (or chapter) the last batch of footnotes is
> not always placed, not even when an index follows.
> They must be forced with \placefootnotes.
> It happened both with footnotes bytext and bychapter.
>
> Is this the normal behaviour? Must I end (for footnotes bychapter)
> each chapter with \placefootnotes?

can you make me a small example file?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* footnotes
@ 2006-01-29 13:48 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2006-01-29 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-10-06 15:25 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2003-10-06 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Albrecht Kauffmann <alkauffm@rz.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> does anyone know how to expand the distance between the last text line on
> a page and the first footnote?
>
> With many thanks for any hint
> Albrecht

you can use the rule option:

\def\MyRule{\blackrule[width=0.5\textwidth,height=0.4pt]\blank[15pt]}

\setupfootnotes[rule=\MyRule]

Steffen

* Footnotes
@ 2003-10-06 13:40 ` Albrecht Kauffmann
From: Albrecht Kauffmann @ 2003-10-06 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-10-04 19:02 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2003-10-04 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Just in case some one is interested in detailed footnote problems:

In the last time I was fiddling a lot on the problem of setting up footnotes - the task was to have different defined font and interlinespace sizes for text as well as for footnotes.

The first solution that I constructed with commands and keywords from the manual (and etexshow) seemed to give the desired result:

\setupbodyfont[10pt]
\setupinterlinespace[line=15pt]
\definefont [FNfont][Serif at 8pt]
\def\FNstyle{\FNfont\setupinterlinespace[line=15pt]}
\setupfootnotes[numbercommand=]
\setupfootnotedefinition[style=\FNstyle]

\starttext
\input tufte \footnote{\input knuth }
\input tufte \footnote{\input knuth }
\stoptext

But it just worked OK for *normal* sizes.
When set to extreme values it begun to show strange phenomena (see the distances over and under each first line of a footnote):

\setupbodyfont[4pt]
\setupinterlinespace[line=45pt]
\definefont [FNfont][Serif at 4.5pt]
\def\FNstyle{\FNfont\setupinterlinespace[line=12pt]}
\setupfootnotes[numbercommand=]
\setupfootnotedefinition[style=\FNstyle]

\starttext
\input tufte \footnote{\input knuth }
\input tufte \footnote{\input knuth }
\stoptext

After re-combining the different option and command for setupfootnotes and setupfootnotedefinition without improvement, I started to search through the source files and found the very interesting command \setfootnotebodyfont.

With this command a setup can be written that works, finally:

\setupbodyfont[4pt]
\setupinterlinespace[line=45pt]
\definefont [FNfont][Serif at 4.5pt]
\def\setfootnotebodyfont{\FNfont\setupinterlinespace[line=12pt]}
\setupfootnotes[numbercommand=]
\setupfootnotedefinition[style=\FNfont]

\starttext
\input tufte \footnote{\input knuth }
\input tufte \footnote{\input knuth }
\stoptext

Maybe this helps someone.

Steffen
P.S. If there is still need for improvement, please correct.

* Re: Footnotes
@ 2003-09-23 17:50                 ` Pawel Jackowski na Onet
From: Pawel Jackowski na Onet @ 2003-09-23 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Willi Egger" <w.egger@boede.nl> wrote:

> Dear Pawel,
>
> In order to be able to show the effects I used the Dolly-font.
> For your reference I include the probe.tex file and the resulting pdf.
>
> As far as I can see, the footnotes get the numbers from Dolly or Helvetica
> according to the setup of the footnotes.
>
> Cheers Willi

Thanks for report and examples. We've got the same conclusions.

Regards, Pawe/l

* Re: Footnotes
@ 2003-09-20  7:28               ` Willi Egger

From: Pawel Jackowski na Onet @ 2003-09-20  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-09-19 21:04           ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-09-19 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Pawel,

After all the solution is simpel ...

By coincidence i detected that there is a distinct difference in the
following two commands which I used independently in two "mode" sections in
my environment file. This is then also the reason why I started to
understand ... :-]

\switchtobodyfont[palatino,rm,10pt]

This command switches the bodytext-font to the indicated font. It leaves the
footnotes font untouched. i.e. it remains either CMR or CMSS depending on
the setup of  \setupfootnotes[bodyfont={small, rm}] or
\setupfootnotes[bodyfont={small, ss}]

\setupbodyfont[Myfont,rm,10pt]

This command will force the bodyfont and the footnotes font to be the same.
If e.g. Myfont is setup as a typeface of Palatino for rm and Helvetica for
ss, then the footnotes will be in Palatino when saying
\setupfootnotes[bodyfont={small, rm}] and will be typeset in Helvetica when
saying \setupfootnotes[bodyfont={small, ss}]

Cheers Willi

> Hi Willi
>
> > Thanks for your suggestions. In my case this does not seem to be the
> > solution.
> > I fiddled with the different options. The conclusion is, that the
> footnotes
> > do not readily follow the
> > bodyfont settings.
> > I provided Hans a test file and he will look into it.
>
> Let me know when You solve the problem.
>
> Regards, Pawe/l

* Re: Footnotes
@ 2003-09-16 19:33         ` Pawel Jackowski na Onet
From: Pawel Jackowski na Onet @ 2003-09-16 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-09-16 17:16     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-16 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 20:00 15/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi Pawel
>
>Sorry for the misspelling of your name.
>Thanks, I see that my question is almost the same as yours was.
>
>However, when I use
>\setupfootnotes[bodyfont={\switchtobodyfont[8pt]},offset=-1cm]

should be

>\setupfootnotes[bodyfont=8pt,offset=-1cm]

\setupbodyfont as argument to \setupbodyfont is not that good an idea -)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Footnotes
@ 2003-09-16 12:18       ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-09-16 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Pawel

Thanks for your suggestions. In my case this does not seem to be the
solution.
I fiddled with the different options. The conclusion is, that the footnotes
do not readily follow the
bodyfont settings. Still it is possible to switch from rm to ss by means of
\setupfootnotes[bodyfont={small,ss}] but the texts are typeset in CMSS
then...

From: Pawel Jackowski na Onet @ 2003-09-16  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

@ 2003-09-15 18:00   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-09-15 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Pawel

Sorry for the misspelling of your name.
Thanks, I see that my question is almost the same as yours was.

However, when I use
\setupfootnotes[bodyfont={\switchtobodyfont[8pt]},offset=-1cm]
I get an error.

check          : missing or ungrouped '=' after '0' in line 9 (@@vn)
! Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                   \edef
\doifsomething #1->\edef
                         \!!stringa {#1}\ifx \!!stringa \empty \expandafter

\switchtobodyfont [#1]->\doifsomething {#1}
                                            {\doifdefinedelse {\??ft
\normal...

\interfaced #1->\ifcsname \k!prefix! #1
                                       \endcsname \csname \k!prefix!
#1\endc...

\doifdefinedelse #1->\edef \p!defined {#1
                                         }\ifcsname \detokenize \@EA
{\p!def...
<argument> ...yfontsize \interfaced {\@@vnkorps }}
                                                   {\setbodyfontstep
{\@@vnk...
l.14             \stoptabulate

If I am using \setupfootnotes[bodyfont=5pt,offset=-1cm] then I  get  the
footnote typeset in 5pt but still cmr and the error in the log-file is still

check          : missing or ungrouped '=' after '0' in line 9 (@@vn)

Defining bodyfontsizes by \definebodyfont does not cure the problem.

Cheers Willi

* Re: Footnotes
@ 2003-09-15 16:15 ` Pawel Jackowski na Onet
From: Pawel Jackowski na Onet @ 2003-09-15 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi everybody,
>

> I have to typset several footnotes.
>
> I setup a bodyfont (sanserif, Helvetica like).
> Why are the footnotes typset in cmr?

I'm not sure but I've just solved similar problem. Footnotes have their
'own' bodyfontsize so if it isn't defined, ConTeXt uses default font.
For example I defined \definebodyfont [13pt,12pt], while footnotes are
'small' by default, which means that they are 10pt.
Footnotes were in cmr10 because I didn't defined 10pt body font. Is that
your problem?

Pawe/l

* Footnotes
@ 2003-09-15 15:54 Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-09-15 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody,

I have to typset several footnotes.

I setup a bodyfont (sanserif, Helvetica like).
Why are the footnotes typset in cmr?

Consider the following minimal testfile

\starttext
\startitemize
       \head Rug rugggenbord dikte 0.5\Milli\Meter

            \startlocalfootnotes[0]
            \starttabulate[|lm|lm|]
                \NC L_R \EQ L_P \NC\NR
                \NC B_R \EQ D_{boekblok}
                \footnote{Rugdikte gemeten langs de ronding van het boekblok
met een strook papier} \NC\NR
            \stoptabulate
            {\placelocalfootnotes}
            \stoplocalfootnotes
 \stopitemize
\stoptext

In the logfile I find the following statement:

check          : missing or ungrouped '=' after '0' in line 9 (@@vn)

I used this mechanism earlier. But can't understand this behaviour in this
case.

Any hints?/

Willi

* Re: Footnotes
@ 2001-04-05  7:40 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-04-05  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:28 AM 4/5/01 +0200, P. van Kranenburg wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm writing an article with many (>50) footnotes. I want them
>all at the end of my text, so:
>
>\stelvoetnotenin[plaats=tekst]
>\starttekst
>blabla
>\plaatsvoetnoten
>\stoptekst
>
>The list of footnotes does not fit on one page. The problem is that
>there is no page-break. The list of footnotes is running off my
>page. Is there a solution for this?
>thanks in advance,

i'll look into it, more later

@ 2001-04-04 22:28 P. van Kranenburg
From: P. van Kranenburg @ 2001-04-04 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm writing an article with many (>50) footnotes. I want them
all at the end of my text, so:

\stelvoetnotenin[plaats=tekst]
\starttekst
blabla
\plaatsvoetnoten
\stoptekst

The list of footnotes does not fit on one page. The problem is that
there is no page-break. The list of footnotes is running off my
page. Is there a solution for this?
thanks in advance,

Peter

* Re: footnotes
@ 2001-03-18 20:41   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-03-18 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:14 PM 3/17/01 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>Monday, March 12, 2001 you wrote:
>
>HH> Hi,
>
>HH> The footnote problems as reported have to do with (yet unknown) sync
>HH> problems. The following seems to work,
>
>HH> \appendtoks \synchronizefootnotes \to \everypar
>
>HH> \def\synchronizefootnotes%
>HH>   {\ifvoid\footins\else\insert\footins{\unvbox\footins}\fi}
>
>HH> but, before i experiment with this i want to know taco's/thanh's (they
who
>HH> knows the deeper internals of tex the program) opinion on potential
>HH> interferences.
>
>HH> Anyone is free to experiment -)
>
>I did :-)
>
>This solves the problem in footbug1.tex (that is, text overprinting
>the footnote when the footnote migrated from the columns), but not the
>problem in footbug2.tex (footnote in the wrong page if footnotenumber
>at bottom of page).

That one will go when i've added more rigourous control over breaking
between notes. If i add that now, it will break other code, so it must wait
till the new otr routines are available. [which will come after the
encoding and font extensions i'm working on].

@ 2001-03-17 18:14 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-03-17 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, taco

@ 2001-03-12 17:08 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-03-12 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-05-09 10:09 Haseloff, Lutz
From: Haseloff, Lutz @ 2000-05-09 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'ntg-context@ntg.nl'

Hi Hans, Hi all,

someone suggested:

\def\withdot#1{#1.}
\setupfootnotes[rule=off,numbercommand=\withdot]

but the number comes too close to the text.

I would also like to know, how to get footnotes of the following form:

	1. Bla bla bla bla bla
	bla bla bla...

Greetings

Lutz

just married :-)

* Re: footnotes
@ 2000-05-08 20:30 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-08 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'ntg-context@ntg.nl'

At 09:41 AM 4/18/2000 +0100, Haseloff, Lutz wrote:

>Inside the textbody like the standard (superscript).
>In the Footer a normalsize Number with a dot (same size as the footnotetext
>and on the baseline)
>
>1.  Footnote bla bla
>     bla bla bla bla  ?

Was this one answered?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: footnotes
@ 2000-04-19  1:16 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2000-04-19  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Haseloff,> Inside the textbody like the standard (superscript).
    Haseloff,> In the Footer a normalsize Number with a dot (same size

\def\withdot#1{#1.}

\setupfootnotes[numbercommand=\withdot]

Greetings, Taco

* footnotes
@ 2000-04-18  8:41 Haseloff, Lutz
From: Haseloff, Lutz @ 2000-04-18  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans, Hi all,

Is is possible to get following footnotes:

Inside the textbody like the standard (superscript).
In the Footer a normalsize Number with a dot (same size as the footnotetext
and on the baseline)

1.  Footnote bla bla
     bla bla bla bla  ?

Thanks in advance

Lutz

* Re: Footnotes
@ 1999-11-30 15:08 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-11-30 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:10 AM 11/30/99 +0100, Haseloff, Lutz wrote:

>With this file:
>\setupfootnotes[line=off]
>\starttext
>Test\footnote{Test}
>\stoptext
>The Footnoterule doesn´t disappear.

rule=off

>Is it possible to get a dot after the number in figure caption like "Figure
>1.  This is a picture."?

Hm. I'm not sure, so I'll have to take a look at the code. Some commands
enable you to set this kind of things.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Footnotes