* FAQ list
@ 2000-01-12  7:25 Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2000-01-12  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

After showing myself as an expert in posing questions here that appear
to be rather trivial, I am thinking about setting up an FAQ list and
Hans encouraged me (or rather, anybody but himself) to do so.

Three topics arise:

1. Structure of the FAQ. I propose a structure in chapters with the
following titles:

- Installation (the stuff I am currently bungling around with)
- Interface (the tons of diagnostic messages and how to use them)
- Structuring (sections, itemizing, quotations)
- Languages (Language of the interface and the document, hyph.
tables...)
- Interaction (interactive documents)
- Metapost (why it is fun)
- Fonts, encodings etc. (Tacos short HOWTO might find a place here)

2. Contents. I'll browse through the list to see which themes pop up,
and copy the questions and answers. Everyone is welcome to send
insertions.

3. Style/module. Something like this should exist somewhere here,
doesn't it? Will the s-faq-03 module be appropriate?

Greetings

Johannes

 --
Johannes Hüsing <hannes@ruhrau.de>
[Sydney Organising Committee for the Olympic Games] spokesman Milton Cockburn

* Re: FAQ list
@ 2000-11-02 15:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-02 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:25 AM 1/12/00 +0100, Johannes Hüsing wrote:
>After showing myself as an expert in posing questions here that appear
>to be rather trivial, I am thinking about setting up an FAQ list and
>Hans encouraged me (or rather, anybody but himself) to do so.
>
>Three topics arise:
>
>1. Structure of the FAQ. I propose a structure in chapters with the
>following titles:
>
>- Installation (the stuff I am currently bungling around with)
>- Interface (the tons of diagnostic messages and how to use them)

texexec yourfile --silent

>- Structuring (sections, itemizing, quotations)
>- Languages (Language of the interface and the document, hyph.
>tables...)
>- Interaction (interactive documents)

btw, after the qrc documentation project is on speed, i start with the
manual on designing interactive docswhich I hope will save you hundreds of
pages of faqs.

It may be an idea to be able to cross link to manuals (later stage).

>- Metapost (why it is fun)

I wonder what anwers you would get on that one.

>- Fonts, encodings etc. (Tacos short HOWTO might find a place here)

For this it is very important that there is a consistent index.

>2. Contents. I'll browse through the list to see which themes pop up,
>and copy the questions and answers. Everyone is welcome to send
>insertions.

It would help you much if at the end off a thread those who started the
thread could summarize the question and relevant answers.

>3. Style/module. Something like this should exist somewhere here,
>doesn't it? Will the s-faq-03 module be appropriate?

These styles are indeed meant for that purpose. You may download the
ppchtex faqs to see what they produce since there are some structering
features.

So, go ahead!

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: FAQ list
@ 2000-11-03 14:41 ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-11-03 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Johannes Hüsing" wrote:
> - Installation (the stuff I am currently bungling around with)

Oh, my... There are really some hints to give that are missing in the
install manual.

> - Metapost (why it is fun)

It's fun to hear about the huge possibilities of ConTeXt with
Metapost and interaction, even if I had no time to learn enough about. :-)

> - Fonts, encodings etc. (Tacos short HOWTO might find a place here)
>
> 2. Contents. I'll browse through the list to see which themes pop up,
> and copy the questions and answers. Everyone is welcome to send
> insertions.
>
> 3. Style/module. Something like this should exist somewhere here,
> doesn't it? Will the s-faq-03 module be appropriate?

Don't forget to mention the different Websites (Pragma, pdftex, ML archive...)

As Hans suggested, there could be links to the different docu bits
with their sometimes cryptic names...

I think it makes sense to set up the FAQ, cause I fear that the manual
will need a bit more time...

Grüßlis vom Hraban!