* URLs in PDFTeX
@ 2000-05-08 10:54 Christopher G D Tipper
From: Christopher G D Tipper @ 2000-05-08 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've grown quite fond of the sophisticated hyperref package in PDFLaTeX and would like to mimic features of this in ConTeXT. I've pretty much worked out that ConTeXT relies heavily on pdfTeX for PDF specific functions (the Document Catalog works fairly painlessly), but the pdfTeX manual is distinctly cryptic on the subject of \pdfstartlink...\pdfendlink. I've got Adobe's "Portable Document Format Reference Manual Version 1. 3" from the Adobe Developer pages, but this is huge and I don't particularly feel like becoming a machine-code programmer at this point.

Can anyone just give me one example of how you would translate the following to raw PDFTeX?

LaTeX with hyperref:
\href{mailto:ctipper@hol.gr}{\underline{Christopher G. D. Tipper.}}}

Thanks in advance,
Christopher
---------------------------------o00o----------------------------------
                          Christopher G D Tipper | Athens News SA
           48 Grigori Lambraki | Drossia 145 72 | Athens | Greece
mailto:ctipper@hol.gr     http://users.hol.gr/~ctipper/index.htm
tel/fax: +301 813 1767
             Registered address: 3 Christou Lada | 102 37 Athens
                 editor: John Psaropoulos mailto:johnp@dolnet.gr
tel: +301 333 3161 | fax: +301 323 1384 http://athensnews.dolnet.gr/

* Re: URLs in PDFTeX
@ 2000-05-08 18:34 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-08 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:54 PM 5/8/2000 +0300, Christopher G D Tipper wrote:
>I've grown quite fond of the sophisticated hyperref package
>in PDFLaTeX and would like to mimic features of this in ConTeXT. >I've

Hm. There is pretty much functionality available by default, so I'm curious
about what functionality is not available in context -)

> pretty much worked out that ConTeXT relies heavily on pdfTeX for > PDF
specific functions (the Document Catalog works fairly > painlessly), but
the pdfTeX manual is distinctly cryptic on the subject of
\pdfstartlink...\pdfendlink. I've got Adobe's "Portable Document Format
Reference Manual Version 1. 3" from the Adobe Developer pages, but this is
huge and I don't particularly feel like becoming a machine-code programmer
at this point.

This kin dof low level \pdf... code is not needed and even dangerous since
it sometimes needs support from the macro package.

>Can anyone just give me one example of how you would translate the
following to raw PDFTeX?

>LaTeX with hyperref:
>\href{mailto:ctipper@hol.gr}{\underline{Christopher G. D. Tipper.}}}

  \goto{Christopher G.D. Tipper}[URL(mailto:ctipper@hol.gr)]

or nicer:

  \useURL[christoper][mailto:ctipper@hol.gr]

somewhere at the top and later:

  \goto{....}[URL(christoper)]

This is less dependent on pdftex too.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* RE: URLs in PDFTeX
@ 2000-05-08 19:52 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-05-08 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hai Christopher,

ConTeXt is probably even more advanced with pdf documents.

Example:

\useURL
  [myemail]
  [mailto:ctipper@hol.gr]
  []
  [Christopher G. D. Tipper]

Use as

	\starttext

	Mail \from[myemail].

	\stoptext

See manual for more details.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: URLs in PDFTeX
@ 2000-05-10 22:49         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-10 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Uwe wrote,

>There were such lists:
>    set-i-en.pdf
>    set-i-de.pdf
>    set-i-nl.pdf
>
>They contain all (?) ConTeXt commands for the different frontends and are
>crosslinked.  So you can search for the dutch command and switch to the
>english variant. -- Very nice but very outdated (1. May 1998).  It would be
>nice, if this documents could be made automagically from the sources!

As soon as I have some time (joke), I'll pick up that thread.

Concerning the quick ref docs, these are generated automatically indeed.
I'm currently installing a new server and will in due time automate this
process as part of uploading updates.

>Are the context/data/cont-{cz,de,en,nl}.tws files the definitions for the
>language frontends?  And how does it work to relate the say german

The same for these.

>definitions to the core ones?  In the tws-files there is only the german
>variant.  Are they position dependent?

They should be parallel and are generated from setupb.tex (by tex) and
provide the input for texshow.

[btw, texshow is part of texwork, which will be public as soon as I have
debugged it]

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: URLs in PDFTeX
@ 2000-05-10 22:42       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-10 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Christopher G D Tipper, ntg-context

At 08:56 AM 5/10/2000 +0200, Geert Lobbestael (cmb) wrote:

>Could it be that \underbar itself is the problem?

The problem is in the nesting of the low level macro
\processisolatedwords. BTW, underbar is not that bad,

\underbar{did you \underbar{try} this}

Also. one can choose kinds of underbar as well as overstrike and strike
through.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: URLs in PDFTeX
@ 2000-05-10 22:39       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-10 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:15 AM 5/10/2000 +0200, Johannes Hüsing wrote:

>> OK so this stuff is not really documented in English yet. Looks like
I'll have to add Dutch to my list (TeX, METAPOST, ConTeXT, PDF... :-)

>If someone hands me a list where all ConTeXt commands are translated, I could
>maybe contribute to a moffentalige version of the document.

In that case, you may help Tobias with the german translation of the
beginners manual, which he has n% finished -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: URLs in PDFTeX
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-05-10 22:38     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-10 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi all those strugling with url's,

=
>\useURL
>  [myemail]
>  [mailto:ctipper@hol.gr]
>  []
>  [\underbar{Christopher G. D. Tipper}]
>
>and the underline in the gap between words is raised from the surrounding
underlining. It looks awful.

This phenomena is due to the fact that the underbar as well as goto's are
split into components. This nesting is slightly spoiled by some global
assignments, which I'll fix.

Forthe moment, use \underbars instead (which works ok as far as I tested).

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: URLs in PDFTeX
@ 2000-05-10 15:00         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-10 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:39 AM 5/10/2000 +0200, Uwe Koloska wrote:

>In lower resolution (whole page, for example) acrobat shows lines that have
>the same width different at different positions (rounding errors).

Indeed.

>Maybe this could explain the different width of \underbar.  But the problem
>with the hopping underbar under a space is different from that, I think.

A quick hack is:

  \def\MySpace{\strut\space}

I'll look into it later, since right now I'm in the middle of a server (to
linux) change and moving files around

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: URLs in PDFTeX
@ 2000-05-10  9:39       ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2000-05-10  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

You wrote on Mit, 10 Mai 2000:
>Could it be that \underbar itself is the problem?

Maybe, the viewer is the problem?  Have you inspected the document in
higher resolution (zoom) or did you print it?

>I have an an interactive document with two columns. \underbar{x} behaves
>strangely even if x doesn't contain any spaces, or URLs: The thickness of
>the line varies between different calls to \underbar. Explicit argument
>for thickness of the bar didn't make any difference, nor did no-column
>text.

In lower resolution (whole page, for example) acrobat shows lines that have
the same width different at different positions (rounding errors).

Maybe this could explain the different width of \underbar.  But the problem
with the hopping underbar under a space is different from that, I think.

Uwe

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/

* Re: URLs in PDFTeX
@ 2000-05-10  9:24       ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2000-05-10  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

You wrote on Mit, 10 Mai 2000:

>> OK so this stuff is not really documented in English yet. Looks like
>>I'll have to add Dutch to my list (TeX, METAPOST, ConTeXT, PDF... :-)
>
>If someone hands me a list where all ConTeXt commands are translated, I could
>maybe contribute to a moffentalige version of the document.

There were such lists:
    set-i-en.pdf
    set-i-de.pdf
    set-i-nl.pdf

They contain all (?) ConTeXt commands for the different frontends and are
crosslinked.  So you can search for the dutch command and switch to the
english variant. -- Very nice but very outdated (1. May 1998).  It would be
nice, if this documents could be made automagically from the sources!

Are the context/data/cont-{cz,de,en,nl}.tws files the definitions for the
language frontends?  And how does it work to relate the say german
definitions to the core ones?  In the tws-files there is only the german
variant.  Are they position dependent?

[Because I have many things about texexec and texshow, I start a new thread]

Uwe

--

@ 2000-05-10  6:56     ` Geert Lobbestael (cmb)
From: Geert Lobbestael (cmb) @ 2000-05-10  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Could it be that \underbar itself is the problem?

I have an an interactive document with two columns. \underbar{x} behaves
strangely even if x doesn't contain any spaces, or URLs: The thickness of
the line varies between different calls to \underbar. Explicit argument
for thickness of the bar didn't make any difference, nor did no-column
text.

Regards
Geert Lobbestael

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Christopher G D Tipper wrote:

> > > Where is this
> > > stuff in the manual, or is it scattered all over the place?
> >
> > The general mechanism is described in chapter 9.5 (I use the dutch manual as
> > it was more complete), it's called "References" probably.
> >
> > The \useURL thing was not in the manual, but maybe it's in the current
> > releases.
>
> OK so this stuff is not really documented in English yet. Looks like I'll have to add Dutch to my list (TeX, METAPOST, ConTeXT, PDF... :-)
>
> I tried the useURL{} stuff (after discovering that you have to use \setupinteraction [state=start]) but when I try to underline hyperlinks, spaces are treated differently by the typesetting engine.
>
> ie you do something like
> \useURL
>   [myemail]
>   [mailto:ctipper@hol.gr]
>   []
>   [\underbar{Christopher G. D. Tipper}]
>
> and the underline in the gap between words is raised from the surrounding underlining. It looks awful.
>
> I tried something like
> \useURL
>   [myemail]
>   [mailto:ctipper@hol.gr]
>   []
>   [\underbar{Christopher\space G.\space D.\space Tipper}]
>
> but the same thing happens. Is this a bug? or is there such a thing as a 'hard' space?
>
> Christopher

* Re: URLs in PDFTeX
@ 2000-05-10  6:15     ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2000-05-10  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> OK so this stuff is not really documented in English yet. Looks like I'll have to add Dutch to my list (TeX, METAPOST, ConTeXT, PDF... :-)

If someone hands me a list where all ConTeXt commands are translated, I could
maybe contribute to a moffentalige version of the document.

* RE: URLs in PDFTeX
@ 2000-05-10  6:09     ` Berend de Boer
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-05-10  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hai Christopher,

> but when I try to
> underline hyperlinks, spaces are treated differently by the
> typesetting engine.

I really have no idea. Anyway, underlining is bad. If your document is
transformed to html do you know what you get??

You can give your links a color with pdf by saying:

 \setupinteraction
 	[state=start,
	 color=blue]

Groetjes,