* chinese with utf in context
@ 2006-02-07  6:31 Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2006-02-07  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

with the context from 03.02.06 only the punctuation symbols
from the unicode range 30 will be printed.
The symbols from the range FF (f.i. FF0C: FULLWITH COMMA,
FF1A: FULLWITH COLON...) and from the range 20
(203B: REFERENCE MARK...) are printed
as small black squares.

If i convert the file to gbk all symbols will be printed right.

If needed i can prepare testfiles in gbk and utf encoding.

Greetings

Lutz

* Re: chinese with utf in context
@ 2006-02-07  7:16 ` Richard Gabriel
From: Richard Gabriel @ 2006-02-07  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Lutz,

I have no problems typesetting Chinese and Japanese in Unicode. I suppose there's a problem with fonts on your system...
Were all of the TFM files created properly?
Do all the files uni-htsong-ff.tfm, uni-htfs-ff.tfm, uni-hthei-ff.tfm and uni-htkai-ff.tfm exist on your system?
Are there some interesting messages in the log?

In any casy, feel free to send me any of your test file... ;-)

-Richard

  _____

@ 2006-02-07  9:09   ` Richard Gabriel
From: Richard Gabriel @ 2006-02-07  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sorry I have the same problem as Lutz with the special punctuation - I only haven't noticed this problem before because there weren't these characters in any of my testing documents... :-(
I'm going to investigate more...

-Richard

  _____

@ 2006-02-07  9:18 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2006-02-07  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Lutz,

Lutz Haseloff schrieb:
> The symbols from the range FF (f.i. FF0C: FULLWITH COMMA,

Try the following (untested): Add the line
  \defineunicodecommand 255 {\lookaheaduchar}
to unic-cjk.tex. (Maybe you need to regenerate the format file.)

Tobias

* Re: chinese with utf in context
@ 2006-02-07 10:31   ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2006-02-07 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Tobias,

Thank you very much for your help.

I added:

\defineunicodecommand 255 {\lookaheaduchar}
\defineunicodecommand 32 {\lookaheaduchar}
\defineunicodecommand 37 {\lookaheaduchar}
\defineunicodecommand 38 {\lookaheaduchar}

to unic-cjk.tex and all works now as expected.

Thanks again

@ 2006-02-07 16:51     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-02-07 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lutz Haseloff wrote:

>> -----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----

why these numbers?

Hans

* Re: chinese with utf in context
@ 2006-02-07 18:24       ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2006-02-07 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> Lutz Haseloff wrote:
>
>> I added:
>>
>> \defineunicodecommand 255 {\lookaheaduchar}
>> \defineunicodecommand 32 {\lookaheaduchar}
>> \defineunicodecommand 37 {\lookaheaduchar}
>> \defineunicodecommand 38 {\lookaheaduchar}
>>
>> to unic-cjk.tex and all works now as expected.
>>
> why these numbers?

255 = U+FF are the so-called Fullwidth Latin Characters
(http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/UFF00.pdf)
they are "A" "B" "C" etc. but having the width of a Chinese character
(roughly "A ", "B ", "C "). Since they look rather ugly in non-CJK texts
and they have to match the width of the Chinese characters in the font,
they are only in CJK fonts.

32 = U+20 are general punctuation. I don't see a reason for those.
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2000.pdf

37 = U+25 are box drawing characters - no idea why those should be
included. http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2500.pdf

38 = U+26 are miscanllaneous symbols - no idea why those should be
included. http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2600.pdf

Tobias

* Re: chinese with utf in context
@ 2006-02-08  5:34         ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2006-02-08  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > why these numbers?
> >

> 255 = U+FF are the so-called Fullwidth Latin Characters
> (http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/UFF00.pdf)
> they are "A" "B" "C" etc. but having the width of a Chinese character
> (roughly "A ", "B ", "C "). Since they look rather ugly in
> non-CJK texts
> and they have to match the width of the Chinese characters in
> the font,
> they are only in CJK fonts.
>
> 32 = U+20 are general punctuation. I don't see a reason for those.
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2000.pdf
>
> 37 = U+25 are box drawing characters - no idea why those should be
> included. http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2500.pdf
>
> 38 = U+26 are miscanllaneous symbols - no idea why those should be
> included. http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2600.pdf

For fast input of chinese characters i use "NJSTAR Chinese Wordprocessor".
It has a menu entry "Symbols Input" -> "Punctuation".

Thats why i thought all these symbols can appear in chinese texts.

The only necessary entry is the entry for 255.

Greetings and thanks again

Lutz