* Animated gif
@ 2000-06-12  8:01 ` Michal Kvasnicka
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2000-06-12  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

Is it possilbe to include animated GIF into .pdf via ConTeXt and pdfTeX?

How to translate it to .mov? Or what else video format is usable?

Many thanks
Michal Kvasnicka

--
Economics is the only field in which two people can get a Nobel Prize
for saying exactly the opposite things.

* Re: Animated gif
@ 2000-06-12 11:30   ` Christopher G D Tipper
From: Christopher G D Tipper @ 2000-06-12 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was interested in this also, especially after reading up-001-s.pdf. Would it be possible to set up an endless loop with javascript that cycled through a list of figures? Does javascript provide a timing mechanism? It would make rather large PDFs, but it would be a nice thing to be able to demonstrate.

Christopher

@ 2000-06-13 19:46   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-06-13 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Context

At 10:01 AM 6/12/2000 +0200, Michal Kvasnicka wrote:

>Is it possilbe to include animated GIF into .pdf via ConTeXt and pdfTeX?

No. Only movies (mov, avi).

>How to translate it to .mov? Or what else video format is usable?

Maybe there is a gif to avi converter. All converters to mov are commecial
as far as I know. When I needed it, I asked a friend, who used adobe
premiere.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Animated gif
@ 2000-06-13 19:48     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-06-13 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:30 PM 6/12/2000 +0300, you wrote:
>I was interested in this also, especially after reading up-001-s.pdf.
Would it be possible to set up an endless loop with javascript that cycled
through a list of figures? Does javascript provide a timing mechanism? It
would make rather large PDFs, but it would be a nice thing to be able to
demonstrate.

You can ask for the time, and even do things with it, but since such a loop
cannot be interrupted, it is useless (I tried all kind of things and wasted
a day). What is needed is an (event) interruptable timer.

Hans

PS. Someone should make a java (or perl) plug in. Seems possible.

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Animated gif
@ 2000-06-13 22:48       ` Christopher G D Tipper
From: Christopher G D Tipper @ 2000-06-13 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> PS. Someone should make a java (or perl) plug in. Seems possible.

My god no. Do you know that the lack of viruses is what makes PDF so attractive? All I wanted was an endless loop with some kind of timing control. You say it has it, so I'm going to play... :-)

Christopher

* Re: Animated gif
@ 2000-06-14  9:32   ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2000-06-14  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

You wrote on Mon, 12 Jun 2000:
>Hello!
>
>Is it possilbe to include animated GIF into .pdf via ConTeXt and pdfTeX?
>
>How to translate it to .mov? Or what else video format is usable?

You can use the gimp (http://www.gimp.org) to make simple movies (gif and
mpeg -- don't know about other formats).  Make sure you install the latest
developer version (1.1.23 by now) -- it is quite stable and has good movie
tools.

Uwe

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/

* Re: Animated gif
@ 2000-06-14 13:11       ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2000-06-14 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Christopher G D Tipper, ntg-context

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> At 02:30 PM 6/12/2000 +0300, you wrote:
> >I was interested in this also, especially after reading up-001-s.pdf.
> Would it be possible to set up an endless loop with javascript that cycled
> through a list of figures? Does javascript provide a timing mechanism? It
> would make rather large PDFs, but it would be a nice thing to be able to
> demonstrate.
>
> You can ask for the time, and even do things with it, but since such a loop
> cannot be interrupted, it is useless (I tried all kind of things and wasted
> a day). What is needed is an (event) interruptable timer.
>
> Hans
>
> PS. Someone should make a java (or perl) plug in. Seems possible.

Could you elaborate a bit?  You have mentioned that as a desirable
thing before, but how would it work, what would it do, and how would
one go about writing such a plugin?

I especially don't understand how there could be a perl plugin for the
Acrobat Reader -- I remember reading about "Penguin", which was
supposed to allow for safe execution of untrusted perl code in a
"sandbox", along the lines of what's possible in Java, but wouldn't
the Reader have to come with a perl interpreter and it's own perl
sandbox already configured and ready for plugins?

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu           http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/

* Re: Animated gif
@ 2000-06-14 13:12     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-06-14 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Context

At 11:32 AM 6/14/2000 +0200, Uwe Koloska wrote:

>You can use the gimp (http://www.gimp.org) to make simple movies (gif and
>mpeg -- don't know about other formats).  Make sure you install the latest
>developer version (1.1.23 by now) -- it is quite stable and has good movie
>tools.

Is mpeg supported by acrobat? If so, that would be nice. The quicktime
plugin probably can handle it.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Animated gif
@ 2000-06-14 14:11         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-06-14 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, Christopher G D Tipper, ntg-context

At 09:11 AM 6/14/2000 -0400, Ed L Cashin wrote:

>> PS. Someone should make a java (or perl) plug in. Seems possible.
>
>Could you elaborate a bit?  You have mentioned that as a desirable
>thing before, but how would it work, what would it do, and how would
>one go about writing such a plugin?

If you embed an annotation, acrobat will complain that it cannot find the
plugin. This means that any plug in that registers itself, like the web and
movie ones, implements a particular annot functionality. So, if we define a
parallel to javascript, say perlscript, and make a proper plugin, I think
it should work. That's how all plugins work I guess. The api is documented
and afaik available on the adobe site. I must have a dev kit somewhere; one
needs to get a plug in id code from adobe, but that's not the problem.

The perl plugin would operate outside the reader. Maybe the active state
people know more about that, since they have something called perl script.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* RE: Animated gif
@ 2000-06-14 16:56         ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-06-14 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> My *** no. Do you know that the lack of viruses is what makes
> PDF so attractive?

Hmm, buffer overflows are still possible. Don't hold your breath.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: Animated gif
@ 2000-06-14 22:43       ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2000-06-14 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

You wrote on Mit, 14 Jun 2000:
>At 11:32 AM 6/14/2000 +0200, Uwe Koloska wrote:
>
>Is mpeg supported by acrobat? If so, that would be nice. The quicktime
>plugin probably can handle it.

That's part of the question I don't know anything about.  I am working on
Linux and haven't tested the support for video with acrobat.  Does it need
a plug-in or is it built into the reader?

BTW I don't think mov is a special format, isn't it?  So their can be
different movie formats in a mov-file -- like there are different types of
quicktime formats ...

Uwe