* Pages arranging & layers
@ 2002-07-04  6:48 Martin Kolařík
From: Martin Kolařík @ 2002-07-04  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I had created document with some layers -- the need to use layers appeared
the moment that I needed to place some material only in some pages (e.g. on
the first ten not, on the next five yes, on the next 5 not, ...).

It works very fine, but I met difficulty if I use \setuparranging -- all
material placed inside lyares disappeared. The main stream text is arranged
properly, layered material is got lost.

I somewhere read (maybe in source?) the layering is not fully implemented,
so --

1. Is the described behaviour still unimplemented or is it a bug?

2. Is there some other way to place material "as in layers" there?

3. Overlays are pretty too, but I need to switch the material on and off and
the overlay mechanism does not support it -- or am I wrong?

4. Creating makeup seems to me to be unsuitable -- I want to have all pages
with the same margins etc. (it should be done using makeups) and switching
the makeup before each page seems to be a bit dirty...

The layering is very elegant and it is prefectly exactly what I need..., but
the arranging :-)

Thanks for responses, have a nice time,

Martin

--------
Martin Kolarik
Moravske Pristroje, a.s., Masarykova 1148, Zlin 76302
tel. +420(603)498498, fax +420(603)490803
web: http://www.mii.cz
--------
e-mail: kolarik@mii.cz
e-mail: kolarik@click.cz
tel. +420(603)535593

* Re: Pages arranging & layers
@ 2002-07-04 16:37 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]   ` <001f01c22d66$d40337d0$2197fac3@mii.cz>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-04 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 08:48 AM 7/4/2002 +0200, =?iso-8859-2?Q?Martin_Kola=F8=EDk?= wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I had created document with some layers -- the need to use layers appeared
>the moment that I needed to place some material only in some pages (e.g. on
>the first ten not, on the next five yes, on the next 5 not, ...).
>
>It works very fine, but I met difficulty if I use \setuparranging -- all
>material placed inside lyares disappeared. The main stream text is arranged
>properly, layered material is got lost.
>
>I somewhere read (maybe in source?) the layering is not fully implemented,
>so --

well, it is improving, i just implemented snapping on grids in layers -)

>1. Is the described behaviour still unimplemented or is it a bug?

sounds like a bug, do ou use the latest version? (maybe a reealpage/page
problem)

>2. Is there some other way to place material "as in layers" there?

>3. Overlays are pretty too, but I need to switch the material on and off and
>the overlay mechanism does not support it -- or am I wrong?

no, but layers hooked into overlays do

>4. Creating makeup seems to me to be unsuitable -- I want to have all pages
>with the same margins etc. (it should be done using makeups) and switching
>the makeup before each page seems to be a bit dirty...

well, you can define multiple layouts and switch between them, even
odd/even layouts or page number specific ones

>The layering is very elegant and it is prefectly exactly what I need..., but
>the arranging :-)

do you have a minimal example?

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* RE: Pages arranging & layers
       [not found]   ` <001f01c22d66$d40337d0$2197fac3@mii.cz>
@ 2002-07-19 20:39     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-19 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:51 AM 7/17/2002 +0200, Martin Kolarík wrote:

>Used command line -- texexec katalog
>
>The file vodoznakB.pdf is to be placed into the layer, katalog_A4_good.pdf
>is not arranged (in katalog.tex \setuppapersize[A4][A4]only is used);
>katalog_A4_on_A3_not_good.pdf is arranged (and with missing vodoznakB.pdf,
>in katalog.tex the arranging and \setuppapersize[A4][A3] is used).
>
>Ask me if something is unclear,

no graphic sent -)

anyway: use page instead since now the arrangement uses the paper and it
has diferent dimensions

\setupbackgrounds
   [page] % [paper]
   [background=wmarkback]

also cleaner:

\setlayer
   [wmarkback]
   [x=\wmarkhofs,y=\wmarkvofs]
   {\externalfigure[hakker1b.jpg]}

so, use x and y

Hans

PS. It's worth looking into etex's \dimexpr

@ 2002-07-20  8:59       ` Martin Kolarík
From: Martin Kolarík @ 2002-07-20  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Hi Hans,

> anyway: use page instead since now the arrangement uses the paper and it
> has diferent dimensions
>
> \setupbackgrounds
>    [page] % [paper]
>    [background=wmarkback]

indeed, now ALL is prefect... and how a little change :-)

> also cleaner:
>
> \setlayer
>    [wmarkback]
>    [x=\wmarkhofs,y=\wmarkvofs]
>    {\externalfigure[hakker1b.jpg]}

yes, it is sure more cleaner, I used it

> PS. It's worth looking into etex's \dimexpr

my ignorance -- I'm not in habit of using etex yet...

Thank you very much and have a nice day,

Martin