* TeX Live
@ 2000-12-09 10:56 Frans Goddijn
       [not found] ` <20001211165308.B12262@merkur.econ.muni.cz>
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-12-09 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I'm installing the TeX Live CD on my new laptop. Does anyone have
experience with that setup, and maybe some tips?

Groet,

Frans

frans@iaf.nl  www.goddijn.com
Pb 30196 6803 AD Arnhem NL
tel (+31)[0]621-815-881 fax (+31)[0]26-3211.759

* Re: TeX Live
       [not found] ` <20001211165308.B12262@merkur.econ.muni.cz>
@ 2000-12-11 17:28   ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-12-11 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

From: "Michal Kvasnicka" <qasar@econ.muni.cz>
> Do you mean TeXLive 5? For Windoze? Hm...
>
> There's a very ugly feature. If the space on disk
> is too small to install it, it DOESN'T die--instead
> it CONTINUES with smiley face. (I don't know what
> it does.) Therefore some important parts of the system
> may be non-installed and you have no change to notice.

I was lucky... the laptop had 10 gigabyte so there was no way that the
installer could fill that up in one go. The autodownload took quite a while
and seemed to be successful. I tried if I could call PERL from a command
line and to my great surprise it worked. A simple test file gave a strange
error message:

\\\\\\\\\\\\\
(c:/Local/TeX/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [number of strings=100].
<recently read> \endcsname

[...]
l.302   [\??ks]

If you really absolutely need more capacity,
you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.
/////////////

So I need to look into the texmf.cnf and change things there and try again.

I did "texexec --make" which went great so the system works better than the
stuff I installed myself on my main machine...

> To be even worse, the install program downloads some
> stuff on the disk first, and deletes it as it finishes.
> The result is that there is some free space on the disk
> at the end of the installation (more then 30MB in my
> case).

You mean that space is an unusable blocked but empty/redundant piece of hard
disk after installation?

I must also find out how/where to insert the latest ConTeXt update, but I
seem to remember there is/was some small manual in PDF format by Hans Hagen
about the issue on their web site.

Groet!

Frans

* Re: TeX Live
@ 2000-12-12  9:15     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-12-12  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Michal Kvasnicka, ntg-context

At 06:28 PM 12/11/00 +0100, Frans Goddijn wrote:

>! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [number of strings=100].
><recently read> \endcsname

That's a known bug on tex live. Indeed you have to edit texmf.cnf.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: TeX Live
@ 2000-12-12 19:08       ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-12-12 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

> That's a known bug on tex live. Indeed you have to edit texmf.cnf.

Which line(s) specifically?

I am also struggling to find out which texmf.cnf to change. I have one in my
own directory,

\mytex\web2c

but also one in

\local\tex\texmf\web2c

and then one in:

c:/Local/TeX/texmf-var/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg

The log file says:

systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [number of strings=100].
l.525 \def\
           retainstrategyvariable#1% key

@ 2000-12-13  8:13         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-12-13  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:08 PM 12/12/00 +0100, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>Hello Hans,
>
>> That's a known bug on tex live. Indeed you have to edit texmf.cnf.
>
>Which line(s) specifically?

How about these (my local settings):

buf_size.context         =  200000 % needed for omega bug

main_memory.context      = 1500000
hash_extra.context       =   50000
pool_size.context        = 1250000
string_vacancies.context =   90000
max_strings.context      =  100000
pool_free.context        =   47500
nest_size.context        =     500
param_size.context       =    5000
save_size.context        =   50000
stack_size.context       =    5000
obj_tab_size.context     =  300000

plus maybe some runtime allocations:

extra_mem_top.context = 2000000
extra_mem_bot.context = 4000000
font_mem_size.context =  500000

>I am also struggling to find out which texmf.cnf to change. I have one in my
>own directory,

kpsewhich texmf.cnf

will tell you the place to go

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: TeX Live
@ 2000-12-14 12:30           ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-12-14 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Hans for your additions to texmf.cnf!

> >I am also struggling to find out which texmf.cnf to change. I have one in
my
> >own directory,
>
> kpsewhich texmf.cnf
>
> will tell you the place to go

It's funny how the kpsewhich tells me I must find it in c:\mytex\web2c but
the tex logfile that I looked at yesterday listed the one in ../var..  (must
keep that in mind and find out more later on)

After I changed both copies of texmf.cnf I get new and fresh problems, as
was to be expected ;=}}}

A simple tex file with just a few words in it for test purposes makes the
compiler halt and ask me for mpost input, and I need to type "end" at the
"*" prompt. I remember it's some file from an interrupted tex run that
triggers it but I can't remember which it is and where... I know I had this
problem a while back...

When the test file runs I'll be able to see where my other file that
compiled fine yesterday is running into problems with the new settings.

The log file says:

**&cont-nl 0-SCHERM
(./0-SCHERM.tex{c:/Local/TeX/texmf-var/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

(c:/Local/TeX/texmf/tex/context/base/font-pcr.tex
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [hash size=24273].
\setevalue ...andafter \edef \csname #1\endcsname

<argument> \setevalue {@10ptttbid@}

l.24 ...t,10pt,9pt,8pt,7pt,6pt,5pt] [tt] [default]

@ 2000-12-14 12:39             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-12-14 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 01:30 PM 12/14/00 +0100, Frans Goddijn wrote:

>It's funny how the kpsewhich tells me I must find it in c:\mytex\web2c but
>the tex logfile that I looked at yesterday listed the one in ../var..  (must
>keep that in mind and find out more later on)

then run "mktexlsr"!

>(c:/Local/TeX/texmf/tex/context/base/font-pcr.tex
>! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [hash size=24273].
>\setevalue ...andafter \edef \csname #1\endcsname
>
><argument> \setevalue {@10ptttbid@}
>
>l.24 ...t,10pt,9pt,8pt,7pt,6pt,5pt] [tt] [default]
>
>If you really absolutely need more capacity,
>you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.

Funny, i thought that you *had* enlarged the capacity?

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: TeX Live
@ 2000-12-14 16:57               ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-12-14 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> then run "mktexlsr"!

okay, thanks, will see if that helps.

> >you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.
>
> Funny, i thought that you *had* enlarged the capacity?

That's also what I'm convinced of but I must've messed up something else in
the process which is too bad because all was so beautiful yesterday ;=}}}

The log file just puzzles me and I have no idea where to look for the cause
of the problem.

Groet!

Frans

* Re: TeX Live
@ 2000-12-14  8:02 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-12-14  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:20 PM 12/13/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>the problem has been solved.
>
>I checked and edited a bunch of lines in the texmf.cnf file in
> c:/Local/TeX/texmf-var/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg
>
>Then I did "texexec --make" again but to my surprise that failed. When I
>tried "texexec --make --alone" it worked and new format files were created
>after which the test file compiled perfectly!

--alone

bypasses the fmtutil script/program, so it looks like there is a setup
problem. Nevertheless, if it works, don't change the running system. Here I
use either --make or --make --alone, depending on what works well (depends
a bit of how many texmf trees you have, on our server we now have win and
linux trees and develop and local trees so that messes up fmtutil, which
uses texmf-var).

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: TeX Live