* meandering paths and names
       [not found] <Pine.GSO.4.05.10008161505520.3286-100000@gnat.cise.ufl.edu>
@ 2000-08-17 13:35 ` Frans Goddijn
       [not found]   ` <399CD7B8.9D10D914@pobox.com>
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-08-17 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

while installing TeX (Perl, ConTeXt, PDFtex et cetera) on this new machine I am surprised by lots of little details that are
somewhat confusing.

The *.enc files for instance are in

\texmf\pdftex\base

on my original machine, but on this new machine they are on

\texmf\dvips\base

will mktexlsr make sure that the files are found anyway?

Also, in the installation manual for ConTeXt I read that I can change cont-sys.tex but then I discover that this file was named
cont_sys.tex on my original system, with a bunch of other files in a directory with the underscore in the filename instead of
the -dash. On the new machine, after installing ConTeXt, not one file with the name cont-sys.tex is found. Is it normal for a
"virgin" ConTeXt system not to have the con-sys.tex or cont_sys.tex file and does it matter if it's a _ or - in the filename?

Groet!

Frans

frans@goddijn.com   www.goddijn.com
tel NL 0621-815 881   fax: 026-3211759
Postbus 30196      6803 AD  Arnhem NL

* Re: meandering paths and names
       [not found]   ` <399CD7B8.9D10D914@pobox.com>
@ 2000-08-18 11:26     ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-08-18 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

There's still some confusement (;-}) here re filenames.

In my .../tex/context/user/ directory there are files like "font_pos.tex" (note the underscore) and "font_fg.tex" (a personal file
that Taco once wrote for me, it contains my own typicl font things, like definition of \mykap wih true small caps from an expert set
postscript font).

Surprisingly there are similarly named files in .../tex/context/base BUT here the underscore is a dash, like "font-pos.tex"

When i compile  test tex file, I get these lines in the log:

////////////////////
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13d-2.1 (Web2c 7.3.1) (format=cont-nl 2000.8.17)  18 AUG 2000 12:46
entering extended mode
**&cont-nl test
(test.tex[c:/TEX/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg]

ConTeXt  ver: 2000.5.29  fmt: 2000.8.17  int: dutch  mes: dutch
korps          : variant pos wordt geladen
(c:/TEX/texmf/tex/context/base/font-pos.tex
(c:/TEX/texmf/tex/context/base/font-ptm.tex)
(c:/TEX/texmf/tex/context/base/font-phv.tex)
(c:/TEX/texmf/tex/context/base/font-pcr.tex))
korps          : mapping fg is geladen
korps          : onbekende variant loc
(./test.tuo)
systems        : begin file test at line 11
! Undefined control sequence.
l.17 \mykap
           {dat}
?
! Emergency stop.
l.17 \mykap
           {dat}
End of file on the terminal!
/////////////////////////////

The log does day that a mapping FG is found, this could be FG.MAP but obviously, FONT-FG.TEX or its file with the underscore is not
found because the definition of \mykap in that file is unknown.

It seems like I am near the solution here, but I feel like I am blindfolded and only touching slightly familiar objects...

Any ideas? Meanwhile, I'll keep on doing the best guesswork I can.

@ 2000-08-18 12:45       ` berend
From: berend @ 2000-08-18 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Frans Goddijn wrote:

> In my .../tex/context/user/ directory there are files like "font_pos.tex" (note the underscore) and "font_fg.tex" (a personal file
> that Taco once wrote for me, it contains my own typicl font things, like definition of \mykap wih true small caps from an expert set
> postscript font).
>
> Surprisingly there are similarly named files in .../tex/context/base BUT here the underscore is a dash, like "font-pos.tex"

You can always explicitly load your files with:

	\input font_fg.tex

I would remove font_pos.tex, that one seems obsolete.

If you say:

	\setupbodyfont[pos,fg]

I suspect files named font-pos.tex and font-fg.tex are loaded.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

@ 2000-08-18 14:12     ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-08-18 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Berend,

> > will mktexlsr make sure that the files are found anyway?
>
> This also depends on the settings in texmf.cnf

That was a valuable remark as it prompted me to re-check that file. I found that it had a line that pointed to a nonexistent local
directory. Suddenly things start looking much brighter!

Thanks,

Frans

* all fine
@ 2000-08-19  9:37       ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-08-19  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

After the installation adventures all is great now and I'm amazed by how beautiful it all works!

I have downloaded and unpacked a couple ConTeXt manuals in PDF, created shortcuts to these on the desktop so I can click them open
anytime.

Thanks for the input from this list,

@ 2000-08-21  8:52   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-08-21  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:35 PM 8/17/00 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>Hello,
>
>while installing TeX (Perl, ConTeXt, PDFtex et cetera) on this new machine
I am surprised by lots of little details that are
>somewhat confusing.
>
>The *.enc files for instance are in
>
>\texmf\pdftex\base
>
>on my original machine, but on this new machine they are on
>
>\texmf\dvips\base
>
>will mktexlsr make sure that the files are found anyway?
>
>Also, in the installation manual for ConTeXt I read that I can change
cont-sys.tex but then I discover that this file was named
>cont_sys.tex on my original system, with a bunch of other files in a
directory with the underscore in the filename instead of
>the -dash. On the new machine, after installing ConTeXt, not one file with
the name cont-sys.tex is found. Is it normal for a
>"virgin" ConTeXt system not to have the con-sys.tex or cont_sys.tex file
and does it matter if it's a _ or - in the filename?

This _ is kind of funny and I don't know where it orignates.

Since cont-sys.tex is a local setup, it is not in the zip. Otherwise it
would overwrite your own copy. There is ahowever a file cont-sys.rme that
you can rename and edit.

Hans

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE