From: "Giuseppe Bilotta (Oblomov)" <oblomov@freemail.it>
Subject: Re: Foreign Languages
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:30:20 +0200	[thread overview]

Thank you very much for your answer.

> You will find more about labels and so in lang-ita.tex.

I just did some work onlang-ita.tex

Reason for this is that classicly, in Italy you should use the guillemots to
begin and end the sentences, and upper quotes are required in quotations;
also, I'm changing some \setupheadtext for coherence with the LaTeX
definitions, and to correct some typos. I'd also like to know if the
headtexts left empty are to be left that way, or the correct name is to be
inserted.

> >One last thing: I'd like to support/contribute to ConTeXt, helping in
> >developing an italian interface and possibly translating the ConTeXt
manual
> >(when it will be complete). What can/should I do?
>
> You may want to take a look at
>
> (1) mult-com.tex

How do I change this files? The format is somewhat strange, and for some
of them I don't know the correct translation, or it's quite longish. Does
this pose any problem?

> (2) mult-con.tex

For this one, some other problems arise: names can depend on the gender of
the next word, or even on the starting letter: one is "uno" (the number, or
reffering to a male, and with the next word beggining with two consonants),
"un" is male, with next word beginning with simple consonant or with vowel,
and "una" is female; which should I put?

For both the previous files, is it possible to do something in such a way
that italian keys are defined, e.g., like english?

> where the translation tables are located and
>
> (3) grep on \startmessages

I translated them. This was the easy part :-)

> Of course there should be some coordination in this effort but it's not
> even that much work.

Does this mean that all I have to do is add the italian translation and then
send you the appropriate files?

--
Giuseppe Bilotta