* Margin rules
@ 2003-03-12 14:50 Victor Figurnov
From: Victor Figurnov @ 2003-03-12 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, Hans!

One year ago you and Giuseppe Bilotta talked about
margin rules:

GB>> You can set the level, but you cannot customize its
GB>> color/position/etc, which is what I was talking about.

HH> i can easily implement that (with cross page support and so),
HH> but definitely not today; so put it on the wish list and
HH> ask me again later

Let me remind you of this topic, it is very necessary
for me too.

Or, may be, there is another way to draw vertical lines at left
of some paragraphs with possibility of crossing page boundaries?

Victor Figurnov

* Re: Margin rules
@ 2003-03-17  8:14 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-17  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 05:50 PM 3/12/2003 +0300, you wrote:
>Hello, Hans!
>
>One year ago you and Giuseppe Bilotta talked about
>margin rules:
>
>GB>> You can set the level, but you cannot customize its
>GB>> color/position/etc, which is what I was talking about.
>
>HH> i can easily implement that (with cross page support and so),
>HH> but definitely not today; so put it on the wish list and
>HH> ask me again later
>
>Let me remind you of this topic, it is very necessary
>for me too.
>
>Or, may be, there is another way to draw vertical lines at left
>of some paragraphs with possibility of crossing page boundaries?

Hm, i thought that i posted something some time ago, but maybe it was not
to the list.

Can you download the latest beta? It now has a module m-plus:

%D Somewhere in 2001 i started collecting new functionality
%D in a module \type {m-yesno}. As the name suggests, I was
%D not entirely sure if this functionality belonged in the
%D kernel. When (again) on the \CONTEXT\ list a request for
%D side bars was posted, I decided to move such code to plus
%D modules. Users who want this additional functionality can
%D put the following call in their \type {cont-sys.tex} file:
%D
%D \starttyping
%D \usemodule[plus]
%D \stoptyping

This loads:

%D \definesidebar[whow][rulecolor=green,distance=]
%D
%D \starttext
%D
%D \input tufte \par
%D \startsidebar
%D   \input tufte \par
%D   \input tufte \par
%D   \startsidebar[whow]
%D     \input tufte \par
%D     \input tufte \par
%D     \input tufte \stopsidebar \par
%D   \input tufte \par
%D   \input tufte \stopsidebar \par
%D \input tufte \par
%D \input tufte \par
%D \startsidebar
%D   \input tufte \par
%D   \input tufte \par
%D   \input tufte \par
%D   \input tufte \par
%D   \input tufte \stopsidebar \par
%D \input tufte \par
%D \input tufte \par
%D \startsidebar
%D   \input tufte
%D   \input tufte
%D   \input tufte
%D   \input tufte
%D   \input tufte
%D \stopsidebar

and

%D We now reimplement the margin rules handler defined in
%D \type {core-rul}:
%D
%D \setupmarginrules[level=5]
%D
%D \startmarginrule[1]
%D First we set the level at~5. Next we typeset this first
%D paragraph as a level~1 one. As expected no rule show up.
%D \stopmarginrule
%D
%D \startmarginrule[5]
%D The second paragraph is a level~5 one. As we can see here,
%D the marginal rule gets a width according to its level.
%D \stopmarginrule
%D
%D \startmarginrule[8]
%D It will of course be no surprise that this third paragraph
%D has a even thicker margin rule. This behavior can be
%D overruled by specifying the width explictly.
%D \stopmarginrule

There are some moreplus modules, bit not yet suited for usage.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Margin rules
@ 2003-03-18  4:19   ` Victor Figurnov
From: Victor Figurnov @ 2003-03-18  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> Can you download the latest beta? It now has a module m-plus:

Well, this module loads two files: plus-rul.tex, and plus-page.tex.
The second file is absent. Is it correct?

By the way,  I think that 'changelog' file in the distribution will
be very helpful. Things are moving so fast in ConTeXt...

Victor Figurnov

* Re: Margin rules
@ 2003-03-18  7:40     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-18  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 07:19 AM 3/18/2003 +0300, you wrote:
>Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>HH> Can you download the latest beta? It now has a module m-plus:
>
>Well, this module loads two files: plus-rul.tex, and plus-page.tex.
>The second file is absent. Is it correct?

Indeed. Plus-pag is something real funny and has to do with arbitrary
pagebody construction (some old code i found on my disk and i integrated it
as a plug in into the otr a few days ago); i'm still not sure if i should
post it. (actually, i have much more code laying around which some day will
make it into context)

>By the way,  I think that 'changelog' file in the distribution will
>be very helpful. Things are moving so fast in ConTeXt...

I leave that to others, since i'm running out ot time -)

@ 2002-03-09 22:04 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2002-03-09 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Giuseppe Bilotta <bourbaki@bigfoot.com> writes:

> ConTeXt provides for setting margin rules. I still have to test
> wether they split correctly across pages or not, but regardless of
> this, it would be nice to have some more tuning ability (like:
> color, roundness of the top and bottom extremes, distance from
> margin depending on level).

The latter can be set with:

\setupmarginrules
  [level=1]

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Margin rules
@ 2002-03-09 20:42 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-03-09 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

ConTeXt provides for setting margin rules. I still have to test
wether they split correctly across pages or not, but regardless of
this, it would be nice to have some more tuning ability (like:
color, roundness of the top and bottom extremes, distance from
margin depending on level).

If margin rules can be split across pages, one might also use them
(or the same mechanism) to build framed/boxed text which splits
across pages.

What do you think?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta