* Typefaces ... how does this work?
@ 2013-06-12 21:31 Sander Maijers
From: Sander Maijers @ 2013-06-12 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to adjust my document to have Lucida as main typeface, but with
brief passages (a few words at most) in a typeface that has the IPA
glyphs like Gentium.

I've skimmed the manual and the ConTeXt garden Wiki but I do not yet
understand which commands I should use where and with which options to
achieve this -- preferably in a concise way.

Could someone please explain and point out what most current
documentation I should read and in which order to fully understand how
to work with typography in ConTexT? (Obviously I am not a typographer or
typesetter, I just write documents.)

I am in a hurry now to complete my document so I would appreciate
concrete hints to help with my current need. Still, I am interested to
learn a lot about this functionality in the long term.

* Re: Typefaces ... how does this work?
@ 2013-06-12 21:33 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-12 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM, Sander Maijers
<S.N.Maijers@student.ru.nl>wrote:

> I want to adjust my document to have Lucida as main typeface, but with
> brief passages (a few words at most) in a typeface that has the IPA glyphs
> like Gentium.
>
> I've skimmed the manual and the ConTeXt garden Wiki but I do not yet
> understand which commands I should use where and with which options to
> achieve this -- preferably in a concise way.
>
> Could someone please explain and point out what most current documentation
> I should read and in which order to fully understand how to work with
> typography in ConTexT? (Obviously I am not a typographer or typesetter, I
> just write documents.)
>
> I am in a hurry now to complete my document so I would appreciate concrete
> hints to help with my current need. Still, I am interested to learn a lot
> about this functionality in the long term.

Do you know the simplefonts module ?

--
luigi

* Re: Typefaces ... how does this work?
@ 2013-06-13 17:41   ` Sander Maijers
From: Sander Maijers @ 2013-06-13 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-06-13 23:33, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM, Sander Maijers
> <S.N.Maijers@student.ru.nl <mailto:S.N.Maijers@student.ru.nl>> wrote:
>
>     I want to adjust my document to have Lucida as main typeface, but
>     with brief passages (a few words at most) in a typeface that has the
>     IPA glyphs like Gentium.
>
>     I've skimmed the manual and the ConTeXt garden Wiki but I do not yet
>     understand which commands I should use where and with which options
>     to achieve this -- preferably in a concise way.
>
>     Could someone please explain and point out what most current
>     documentation I should read and in which order to fully understand
>     how to work with typography in ConTexT? (Obviously I am not a
>     typographer or typesetter, I just write documents.)
>
>     I am in a hurry now to complete my document so I would appreciate
>     concrete hints to help with my current need. Still, I am interested
>     to learn a lot about this functionality in the long term.
>
> Do you know the simplefonts module ?

I had read about it some time ago, but I had not yet noticed this Wiki
page :
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX#How_LuaTeX_handles_system_fonts

How can I select a different typeface (that can be found by simplefonts)
for a specific region of text, like a few words?

@ 2013-06-13 17:55     ` S Barmeier
From: S Barmeier @ 2013-06-13 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you are not using all predefined font styles, you could set your
monospace, sans, serif, or whichever style you aren't using to the
font you want to use and use the predefined command (e.g. \sf) to
access that font.

Severin

@ 2013-06-13 18:02     ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-06-13 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13/06/13 19:41, Sander Maijers wrote:
> On 12-06-13 23:33, luigi scarso wrote:
>>
>> Do you know the simplefonts module ?
>
> How can I select a different typeface (that can be found by simplefonts)
> for a specific region of text, like a few words?

Hi Sander,

\definesimplefont is what you're looking for.

Here is a minimal sample:

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\setmainfont[Times]
\definesimplefont[myfont][Palatino Linotype]
\starttext

This is the standard font.

But here comes {\myfont another font.}
\stoptext

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Typefaces ... how does this work?
@ 2013-06-13 18:20       ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-06-13 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13/06/13 20:02, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> On 13/06/13 19:41, Sander Maijers wrote:
>>
>> How can I select a different typeface (that can be found by simplefonts)
>> for a specific region of text, like a few words?

Hi Sander,

this an extension to my previous reply.

\definesimplefonttypeface enables a typeface, instead of a font. As you
might already know (and I tend to mix) Times Italic and Times Bold are
two different fonts, but the same typeface.

Here is another sample:

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\setmainfont[Times]
\definesimplefonttypeface[mytypeface][TeX Gyre Pagella]
\definesimplefont[myfont][TeX Gyre Pagella]
\starttext
\startTEXpage[offset=1em]
This is the standard font.

But here comes {\mytypeface another {\em typeface}.}

And here comes {\myfont another {\em font}.}
\stopTEXpage
\stoptext

I guess I should wikify this.

I hope it helps now,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Typefaces ... how does this work?
@ 2013-06-14  0:30 ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2013-06-14  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

This approach works well for me, no modules required:

(this is NOT a complete working example!)

\setupbodyfont[mainface,12pt]

\definefont[alt][fontname sa 1.0]

\starttext
 Blah blah blah
 Blah blah {\alt boo hoo hoo}
 Blah blah blah
\stoptext

The "sa 1.0"is optional but if you want to adjust the alternate font
so the x heights match you'll need it.

"fontname" comes from running mtxrun --script fonts --list --all
--pattern=fontname

I use this approach extensively and never had a hiccup but, as
always, your mileage may vary.