* Context updates ?!?
@ 2000-05-12 12:46 Taco Hoekwater
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2000-05-12 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just downloaded a newer context, since I'm finally going to upgrade to
a new version. I noticed a couple of weird things.

- The web site says 30-3 for cont-tmf.zip, but the context itself
  presents itself as 11-4.

- There were some CRC errors in the cont-tmf.zip from the tiepmiep
  mirror. Not sure if that was my downloads fault or it really is broken
  while mirroring. Could someone else please try?

- The 'standard' context probably needs the beta version of cont-doc.zip,
  and the 'standard' version of cont-doc is totally outdated.

- Looks like there are very few differences between the beta and the
  released context (most important one might be the \sz fix). Hans, do
  you expect many changes before the next 'official' release?

Greetings, Taco

* Re: Context updates ?!?
@ 2000-05-12 14:19 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-12 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:46 PM 5/12/2000 +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>- The web site says 30-3 for cont-tmf.zip, but the context itself
>  presents itself as 11-4.

Right. Some day I'll automatically upload the page too. Done now.

>- There were some CRC errors in the cont-tmf.zip from the tiepmiep
>  mirror. Not sure if that was my downloads fault or it really is broken
>  while mirroring. Could someone else please try?

I uploaded them again.

>- The 'standard' context probably needs the beta version of cont-doc.zip,
>  and the 'standard' version of cont-doc is totally outdated.

There is currently now beta at my site. I suppose tiepmiep does not remove
removed files.

>- Looks like there are very few differences between the beta and the
>  released context (most important one might be the \sz fix). Hans, do
>  you expect many changes before the next 'official' release?

This is the next official one -) The most important change will be
additional functionality, yet undocumented, so of no importance.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Context updates ?!?
@ 2000-05-12 14:23 ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2000-05-12 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

You wrote on Fre, 12 Mai 2000:
>Just downloaded a newer context, since I'm finally going to upgrade to
>a new version. I noticed a couple of weird things.
>
>- The web site says 30-3 for cont-tmf.zip, but the context itself
>  presents itself as 11-4.

IMHO the website is a bit confusing :-(
What con-tmf.zip is the want I have to download for the newest version with
fresh bugfixes?  Yesterday, the beta one wasn't there.  And some days ago
hans said in <3.0.6.32.20000124164708.014266c0@pop.wxs.nl>

> For the moment there is no beta or more precise, everything has become
> beta -) This version also does sound.

Is this still valid?

And Tobias stated in :

> Well presently only the non-beta version
> http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/cont-tmf.zip exist.
> (dated: 2000-03-15 (at least internal))

And there are two different versions of cont-doc.zip.  The one on the same
line as beta cont-tmf, and the one below that line.  Only one of them
is/was able to compile the module-docs.

So, I suggest:
- let there only be two versions of cont-tmf that are properly tagged
  (maybe the beta without version/date if it is to much work, one can use
  wget -N for downloading only a changed version.)
- remove the cont-doc that don't work (or state clearly for what version it
  is)  As far as I understand the situation,  cont-doc is meant for
  internal use; then it belongs to the beta (or the task-force) page.
  There can be two versions: one for the production and one for the heavily
  floating beta-release.

I think, if you could describe the setup you use for making the website
(ftp, OS, etc.) then someone could help you to setup a simple (perl, tcl)
script to upload a new version and write tags to the html-files.

I know that the most critical part of a software update is the update for
the website it's on ;-))

Yours
Uwe Koloska

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/

* Re: Context updates ?!?
@ 2000-05-12 14:50 ` Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 2000-05-12 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

- There were some CRC errors in the cont-tmf.zip from the tiepmiep
  mirror. Not sure if that was my downloads fault or it really is broken
  while mirroring. Could someone else please try?

I deleted the cont-tmf.zip file, remirroring should repair the darn thing.

Gilbert.

* RE: Context updates ?!?
@ 2000-05-12 18:51   ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-05-12 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There is currently now beta at my site. I suppose tiepmiep
> does not remove
> removed files.

Use sitecopy, works excellent.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: Context updates ?!?
@ 2000-05-15  8:10   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-15  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:23 PM 5/12/2000 +0200, Uwe Koloska wrote:

>IMHO the website is a bit confusing :-(

The zip's are on the download page, the beta's sometimes on the beta page.
When the main and beta are in sync, the beta is removed. The confusion can
be that mirrors don't delete the non present files, but that is out of my
control.

>script to upload a new version and write tags to the html-files.

Actually, I *have* script that does that (as I have scripts for most things
-). Since automatic uploading is a pain on windows, I have to manually
upload the files (zips and new download.htm). I sometimes forget to upload
the htm one. Since I'm now installing a new server under linux, I will
change the uploading to be automatic (als and also automatic generation of
new qrc docs). But first I have to find a clean way to get the server and
laptop in sync -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE